Has anyone seen Colt AR15A4 's available anywhere?

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Postby hirdlej on Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:53 am

I've been on the hunt for a couple years with zero luck. I've been wanting to buy a Colt AR15A4 and have come up empty handed. Has anyone spotted one in their travels or know of one lurking in a backroom at a shop somewhere? I'm in Minneapolis but wouldn't be opposed to driving up to Bemidji or down to Austin just to satisfy the want. ;) Is this Colt's least produced rifle or are they evaporating as quick as they're being made?
hirdlej

Re: Has anyone seen Colt AR15A4 's available anywhere?

Postby UnaStamus on Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:22 pm

I haven't seen one in stores locally. Online is really going to be your best bet. Colt's distribution is...difficult.
If it's a desire to get Colt, keep chugging away at it. If you're not brand loyal, the FN15 Rifle is the same M16A4 variant. Most newer M16A2 and M16A4 rifles in the military are FN, not Colt, if that makes a difference.
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

Postby trblfngr on Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:02 am

modern sportsman (in prior lake or on gunbroker)
Colt AR6720 AR15-A4 Tactical Carbine AR 15 6720

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/592327254
trblfngr

Postby ex-LT on Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:15 am

trblfngr wrote:modern sportsman (in prior lake or on gunbroker)

Actually, Modern Sportsman is in Savage. Their store is the one that started the kerfuffle about location of gun shops in relation to schools.
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby UnaStamus on Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:05 pm

ex-LT wrote:

Actually, Modern Sportsman is in Savage. Their store is the one that started the kerfuffle about location of gun shops in relation to schools.

The irony being that it is right next to Harriet Bishop Elementary, and across the street on O'Connell Road is Fire Station 61, which is the PLHS designated hand-off point for shotguns for the high school trap shooting team. Students have to leave school, drive to Station 61 and pick up their shotguns from their parents in the parking lot before they go to practice after school. Go figure that dumb crap...but then and again, Savage City Council is full of idiots (first hand knowledge).
UnaStamus

Postby LumberZach on Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:57 pm

UnaStamus wrote:
ex-LT wrote:

The irony being that it is right next to Harriet Bishop Elementary, and across the street on O'Connell Road is Fire Station 61, which is the PLHS designated hand-off point for shotguns for the high school trap shooting team. Students have to leave school, drive to Station 61 and pick up their shotguns from their parents in the parking lot before they go to practice after school. Go figure that dumb crap...but then and again, Savage City Council is full of idiots (first hand knowledge).

Interesting. Thankfully when I was on the team there the idiots hadn't gotten to it too badly yet. The silliest rule I remember was that parents with carry permits weren't allowed to carry to the trap range. Because guns.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
LumberZach

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:03 pm

What range does Savage HS shoot at? It would be very difficult for a school to dictate what parents do on someone else's private property.
Holland&Holland

Postby LumberZach on Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:08 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:What range does Savage HS shoot at? It would be very difficult for a school to dictate what parents do on someone else's private property.

I'm not sure about savage, but PLHS shot at Minneapolis gun club in prior lake at the time. I bet it'd be hard to enforce, but that was the rule. I think there were similar rules for "school functions".

LumberZach

Postby UnaStamus on Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:07 pm

LumberZach wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:What range does Savage HS shoot at? It would be very difficult for a school to dictate what parents do on someone else's private property.

I'm not sure about savage, but PLHS shot at Minneapolis gun club in prior lake at the time. I bet it'd be hard to enforce, but that was the rule. I think there were similar rules for "school functions".

PLHS is in Savage. Savage has 3 school districts (Prior Lake, Burnsville, Shakopee). Minneapolis Gun Club is technically in Scott County and is under the jurisdiction of the Sheriff's Office. The law applicable is about school functions. Technically it applies, but it also depends on if the high school takes over the whole range or just a portion of it.

With respect to the Colt rifle, understand that Colt is very difficult to deal with. I spent close to a year trying to get a replacement M4 upper receiver, carbine receiver extension and castle nut for a damaged rifle (squad car crash) and still never got them. I finally got authorization to buy BCM and got those in 3 days. Colt is probably the third most infuriating company I've ever dealt with, behind HK and Kimber. If you can't find one for sale, special ordering one may be very difficult.
UnaStamus

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:18 am

UnaStamus wrote:
LumberZach wrote:

PLHS is in Savage. Savage has 3 school districts (Prior Lake, Burnsville, Shakopee). Minneapolis Gun Club is technically in Scott County and is under the jurisdiction of the Sheriff's Office. The law applicable is about school functions. Technically it applies, but it also depends on if the high school takes over the whole range or just a portion of it.

With respect to the Colt rifle, understand that Colt is very difficult to deal with. I spent close to a year trying to get a replacement M4 upper receiver, carbine receiver extension and castle nut for a damaged rifle (squad car crash) and still never got them. I finally got authorization to buy BCM and got those in 3 days. Colt is probably the third most infuriating company I've ever dealt with, behind HK and Kimber. If you can't find one for sale, special ordering one may be very difficult.

Are you stating that the MPLS gun club is owned by the Scott County Sheriff's office?

If not it is private property. While I understand a Facility or Building could be rented out in its entirety for a school event and posted according to the statute, I would think that just because the school is using the outdoor range and happens to be the only one on premises, does that make it exclusive for all the property then owned by the club? How does the school get around the posting requirement in the statute?

I am sorry, I gotta be honest, this pisses me off. So the school wants the revenue from the fastest growing high school sport through the activities fees, yet they do not want guns? I would support banning them from the league. Either you support 2A or not you can't have it both ways.
Holland&Holland

Postby UnaStamus on Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:16 am

No, it's a private gun range. If the police had to be called, it would be Scott County Sheriff's Office and not Prior Lake PD that would respond. Scott County S.O. likely would not take any action if anything minor happened there (person with permit carrying). County Attorney Ron Hocevar is also pro-gun and is pretty right-leaning, just like the former/retired atty, Pat Ciliberto. I'm not saying how to do something one way or the other, but if I went to a gun range to watch a high school shooting event, I'm pretty sure it'd be defensible to claim that you thought that carrying a gun to a gun range was legal. This is not to mention that pretty much everyone there is going to be pro-gun and not your typical loony anti-gun moonbats (the ones that were trying to ban gun shops). Just making conversation.
UnaStamus

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:31 am

UnaStamus wrote:No, it's a private gun range. If the police had to be called, it would be Scott County Sheriff's Office and not Prior Lake PD that would respond. Scott County S.O. likely would not take any action if anything minor happened there (person with permit carrying). County Attorney Ron Hocevar is also pro-gun and is pretty right-leaning, just like the former/retired atty, Pat Ciliberto. I'm not saying how to do something one way or the other, but if I went to a gun range to watch a high school shooting event, I'm pretty sure it'd be defensible to claim that you thought that carrying a gun to a gun range was legal. This is not to mention that pretty much everyone there is going to be pro-gun and not your typical loony anti-gun moonbats (the ones that were trying to ban gun shops). Just making conversation.

So if a person with a permit was carrying and that carry was not prohibited by the land owner (which as a gun club I would think it would be business suicide to do so) how is the School allowed to ban a parent from carrying?
Holland&Holland

Postby UnaStamus on Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:44 pm

MSS 609.66 Subd.1d. (D)

(4) "school property" means:
(i) a public or private elementary, middle, or secondary school building and its improved grounds, whether leased or owned by the school;
(ii) a child care center licensed under chapter 245A during the period children are present and participating in a child care program;
(iii) the area within a school bus when that bus is being used by a school to transport one or more elementary, middle, or secondary school students to and from school-related activities, including curricular, cocurricular, noncurricular, extracurricular, and supplementary activities; and
(iv) that portion of a building or facility under the temporary, exclusive control of a public or private school, a school district, or an association of such entities where conspicuous signs are prominently posted at each entrance that give actual notice to persons of the school-related use.

The sticky part might be this one. I think that with a gun club/trap range, there's going to be some grey area. The key is "exclusive control". If part of the range is open to the public or membership, it's not exclusive and you would not be in violation by carrying. Also, if it's not prominently displayed, that would also work.
UnaStamus

Postby Doc Harvey on Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:01 pm

hirdlej wrote:I've been on the hunt for a couple years with zero luck. I've been wanting to buy a Colt AR15A4 and have come up empty handed. Has anyone spotted one in their travels or know of one lurking in a backroom at a shop somewhere? I'm in Minneapolis but wouldn't be opposed to driving up to Bemidji or down to Austin just to satisfy the want. ;) Is this Colt's least produced rifle or are they evaporating as quick as they're being made?

I think John down at Southwest Arms has some Colt ARs.
Doc Harvey

Postby 2in2out on Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:32 pm

Doc Harvey wrote:
hirdlej wrote:I've been on the hunt for a couple years with zero luck. I've been wanting to buy a Colt AR15A4 and have come up empty handed. Has anyone spotted one in their travels or know of one lurking in a backroom at a shop somewhere? I'm in Minneapolis but wouldn't be opposed to driving up to Bemidji or down to Austin just to satisfy the want. ;) Is this Colt's least produced rifle or are they evaporating as quick as they're being made?

I think John down at Southwest Arms has some Colt ARs.

I know he carries/carried Colts, not sure of current stock. Definitely worth a call.
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Next

Return to Long Guns