Remington model 700 VTR .223

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Remington model 700 VTR .223

Postby clay5735 on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:29 pm

just wondering if anyone has shot one of these i have been looking at them for a lil bit but wondering if anyone can tell me to goods and bads please help thank you!! also was thinkin about a 223 i would use it for prairie dogs,coyote and deer thanks
clay5735

Re: Remington model 700 VTR .223

Postby Pinnacle on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:42 pm

I shot one and I did not think that it was anything special. It is nice for sure - but I think that there are better choices out there that can be had for alittle less coin.

The VTR is a cool idea and a cool rifle absoultely. I did not find it to be as accurate as I thought that it should be considering what it is.
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby clay5735 on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:55 pm

thanks for your time i have also heard that the muzzle break is hard on the ears is that true
clay5735

Postby goalie on Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:54 am

A muzzle brake on a .223?
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby JoeH on Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:27 am

clay5735 wrote:thanks for your time i have also heard that the muzzle break is hard on the ears is that true

Yes, you should wear hearing protection when shooting a gun equipped with a break. Oh, and shut your mouth when shooting too ;)
Joe
Not a Glock Certified Armorer
JoeH

Postby DeanC on Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:33 am

goalie wrote:A muzzle brake on a .223?

I have heard the idea is so you can keep the scope on the poodle so you can watch him 'slpode.
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby Pinnacle on Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:19 am

I dont think that you need one on a 223 especially in a 8lb rifle. The VTR is a really cool gun without question - I think that there are some clever elements to the rifle that have great potential.

The BBL is machined to be triangular from 1/3 way from breech to the muzzle - COOL IDEA - there are few geometric shapes int he world that are stronger than a triangle or pyramid.. Neat idea.... BUT in the process there is a lot of stress on the bbl and I am wondering if the bbls were stress relieved to take this into account? There is a lot of tool time on that bbl.

I found that the action was a little rough and tough to chamber and really hard to load the internal mag - 223's are really small and hard to grab on to and stuff into an internal mag prone for dog shooting. I would like to see a removable mag for a dog gun. OR the VTR with a larger cap removeable mag.

Another thing that I would like to see is a faster twist bbl so that you could shoot the heavier bullets more effectively. As it is that rifle in 223 is a 1:9 and that is ideal for the 55gr bullet. I would like to have seen them come up with a 1:8 which I think would lend itself to longer range shooting withthe heavier 62-77gr bullets.

I think that the stock on the rifle is comfortable and totally adequate.. Actually kind of cool. This would be a great Patrol Rifle with a moderate Magnification Optic and a removable mag and perhaps a shorter bbl. Cool gun....

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby David on Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:34 am

I recently went with the XCR, but I considered the VTR. I think if I had been looking for a .223 instead of a .308 I might have gone that route. They are great guns (as are any 700s) and that action has a ton of history.
David

Postby goalie on Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:49 am

JoeH wrote:
clay5735 wrote:thanks for your time i have also heard that the muzzle break is hard on the ears is that true

Yes, you should wear hearing protection when shooting a gun equipped with a break. Oh, and shut your mouth when shooting too ;)

Why?

I only ask because I had heard that before, but had been shooting my .50 BMG, which has a muzzle brake and blast about a gazillion times greater than a .308, with my mouth open if I shot it right handed (I am usually a lefty due to eye dominance) and didn't think it was a big deal.
goalie

Postby David on Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:52 am

I think it has to do with the drool that leaks out. Can get pretty messy.
David

Postby JoeH on Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:04 am

goalie wrote:
JoeH wrote:

Why?

I only ask because I had heard that before, but had been shooting my .50 BMG, which has a muzzle brake and blast about a gazillion times greater than a .308, with my mouth open if I shot it right handed (I am usually a lefty due to eye dominance) and didn't think it was a big deal.

I was at the range with a buddy when a third party offered to let us shoot his .223 with a break. I shot it first. It hardly recoiled which is what you want for a competition gun. Then my buddy shot it. He was moving his jaw funny after shooting. He said that he had his mouth open. The blast came back and knocked his lower teeth into his upper teeth. No damage or anything, just something he noticed.
Joe
Not a Glock Certified Armorer
JoeH

Postby goalie on Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:31 am

JoeH wrote:I was at the range with a buddy when a third party offered to let us shoot his .223 with a break. I shot it first. It hardly recoiled which is what you want for a competition gun. Then my buddy shot it. He was moving his jaw funny after shooting. He said that he had his mouth open. The blast came back and knocked his lower teeth into his upper teeth. No damage or anything, just something he noticed.

That sounds to me like the rifle was not mounted into the shoulder correctly. I guess I am not buying that the muzzle blast from a .223 could do that with a brake. If it could, I wouldn't have had 105 pound women shoot my 50 and then ask to shoot it again and again and again.....
goalie

Postby 1911fan on Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:34 am

I think rem puts the same care into every barrel, and I had a boat load, (currently on the bottom of Mud Lake) of 700 ADL's which all shot far better than the cost would suggest. LIke .5 groups were normal with all 5 of them. seriously. .223, .22-250. 243. 7-08 and .308 all shot tiny little groups with a wide range of loads. They do not like to shoot to same POI, but once sighted, they shoot light and heavy loads perfectly.
1911fan

Postby Pinnacle on Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:56 am

I am absoultely not questioning the qualit yof Remington Bbl's - the thing that I noticed was that the VTR with the machined BBL did not shoot all that well with ammunition that was shall we say perfect for the application - some very nicely loaded 55gr bullets at about the top of the velocity range for the load. They seem to shoot well in everything.

When they put that much tool time into a bbl and apply that much pressure to it - first a turning operation and then a milling operation - there is going to be a lot of stress in the bbl - and that is natural and no fault of anyone - just how it is. What I was wondering is if they stress relieved the bbls or not. If i were to get one I think that I would take it down and send it off for Cryo Treatment ASAP.

But it is a very cool rifle.

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Return to Long Guns