scope maxed out....

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Re: scope maxed out....

Postby Amazi on Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:45 am

mmcnx2 wrote:
LumberZach wrote:Why does everyone wait a week before deer season to find out they have a problem in their equipment?

Same guys that start their boat for the first time at the launch on opener, same guys that show up for a meeting and immediately have to step out to fill their coffee cup, the same guys that did not bring protection on prom night. And that is how we end up with more of those guys.

Try working full time going to school full time and find time to do things you like. Shouldn't assume things makes you look like an Ass and there are a lot of those in the world. I laser sighted it but I didn't have much room to work with so I though I'd be safe. And I was going to go in the 19th but I had to change plans and I have a back up rifle soo yeah not like it matters much.
Amazi

Postby Seismic Sam on Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:55 pm

In all my years of range duty and even as a lead range officer, one of the greatest sources of evil in the gun world is beginners showing up at Oakdale all hot to trot with incipient "Buck fever" with guns that have been LASER sighted. :evil: :evil: :evil: There are a couple of big ointments in your fly with this:

1. Even if the bore sighter actually DOES show the axis of the bore out to 100 yards and not just across the room, that has NOTHING to do with the track of the bullet! With any rifled bore, be it right or left hand, the bullet "walks" in the direction of the twist in the rifle. Why??

2. First visualization exercise: Put your rifle on a bench or the hood of a car, and hold a bullet (any caliber, any weight, it doesn't matter) at the muzzle and let it drop. That's how fast the bullet from your rifle drops at x,000 feet per second! No Virginia, just because a bullet is going 3,000 FPS doesn't mean the bullet can "fly".

3. Now while a bullet can't fly, it CAN "walk". Visualize the bullet dropped from the muzzle of your rifle again. It's not spinning, but it IS falling, so there is more air pressure on the UNDER side of the bullet than the TOP side.

4. Now visualize the bullet going 3,000 FPS and spinning clockwise at about 60,000 RPM, which is a typical ballpark number. The air pressure on the bottom of the bullet is higher than the air pressure on the top of the bullet, so that clockwise rotation of the bullet will pull it to the RIGHT. For a counterclockwise rifled bore, the bullet will walk LEFT.

5. AFAIK, most of the problems and head scratching come from the know-it-all whoziss in the gun store doing a crappy job of bore sighting of the rifle. However, there was an account in here of some math "geenious" getting honked off on the "200" range, because he thought it was 200 yards instead of 200 meters, and his calculations didn't agree with what actually happened. :roll: :roll: Bottom line, if you think you can calculate the ACTUIAL path of a bullet from your rifle to a target 200 yards away just by figuring the supposed drop of the bullet and the velocity, you are sorely mistaken.

If you want to save yourself some money and not get the green weenie (or Goosed... :roll: ) from somebody in a big box gun store, bring the gun to the 50 range, pull the bolt, and sandbag the rifle in place so you can see the target THROUGH the bore. Then put a round in the chamber and shoot it withOUT moving the rifle!!

If you don't hit the paper, go to the 25 yard range.

If you hit the paper, zero the gun in to shoot 1 inch high.

Then take it over to the 100 and repeat.

If you can't shoot a CLEAN 3 inch group at the 100, you have no business going to the 200 [yard] [meter] [fulong per fortnight} range...
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby mmcnx2 on Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:58 pm

Amazi wrote:
mmcnx2 wrote:
LumberZach wrote:Why does everyone wait a week before deer season to find out they have a problem in their equipment?

Same guys that start their boat for the first time at the launch on opener, same guys that show up for a meeting and immediately have to step out to fill their coffee cup, the same guys that did not bring protection on prom night. And that is how we end up with more of those guys.

Try working full time going to school full time and find time to do things you like. Shouldn't assume things makes you look like an Ass and there are a lot of those in the world. I laser sighted it but I didn't have much room to work with so I though I'd be safe. And I was going to go in the 19th but I had to change plans and I have a back up rifle soo yeah not like it matters much.

Did it for undergrad and grad school, so ASSume yourself. When did you decide you needed new optics, when you put the gun away last year? It's called planning, learn how to do it, pretty handy life skill.
mmcnx2

Postby Amazi on Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:05 pm

Try working full time going to school full time and find time to do things you like. Shouldn't assume things makes you look like an Ass and there are a lot of those in the world. I laser sighted it but I didn't have much room to work with so I though I'd be safe. And I was going to go in the 19th but I had to change plans and I have a back up rifle soo yeah not like it matters much.[/quote]

Did it for undergrad and grad school, so ASSume yourself. When did you decide you needed new optics, when you put the gun away last year? It's called planning, learn how to do it, pretty handy life skill.[/quote]

Cool story, like I said I have a back up rifle and dint even plain on going this year till about 2 weeks ago so..... I asked for help with my rifle not how I should live my life.
Amazi

Postby hammAR on Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:26 pm

Amazi wrote:..... I asked for help with my rifle not how I should live my life.

For many hereabouts that is one and the same................ :busy:
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

scope maxed out....

Postby LumberZach on Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:58 pm

Amazi wrote:Try working full time going to school full time and find time to do things you like. Shouldn't assume things makes you look like an Ass and there are a lot of those in the world. I laser sighted it but I didn't have much room to work with so I though I'd be safe. And I was going to go in the 19th but I had to change plans and I have a back up rifle soo yeah not like it matters much.

Did it for undergrad and grad school, so ASSume yourself. When did you decide you needed new optics, when you put the gun away last year? It's called planning, learn how to do it, pretty handy life skill.[/quote]

Cool story, like I said I have a back up rifle and dint even plain on going this year till about 2 weeks ago so..... I asked for help with my rifle not how I should live my life.[/quote]

What we are trying to say is you come to us asking for help. You probably don't know this, but so do the other 50,000,000,000 hunters in the world a week before season. Want my advise? Get your gear in order sooner so you have time to fix these problems. If you decide to go hunting two weeks before season, and try to set everything up while going to school and working full time you are definitely going to run into trouble.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
LumberZach

Postby Amazi on Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:18 pm

I HAVE A BACK UP RIFLE. I HAVE A BACK UP RIFLE. I HAVE A BACK UP RIFLE.
I am prepared for it even on a last minute thing, id just like to use my 270 rather then my 25-06 or 375h&h. I used the advise I got from people who wanted to help me with my scope issue (thank you all for the input), rather then then how I need to live my life or telling me I need to be more prepared when I am. I had no intention to hunt this year when I started my new job and my old supervisor said I couldn't go back in June Julyish, then the my new supervisor came and said yes. So yeah I'm going to go.
Last edited by Amazi on Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amazi

Postby BigDog58 on Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:23 pm

Good luck and I hope you bag a Trophy. That 25/06 will do just fine. Be sure to post a picture if you are successful.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Previous

Return to Long Guns