scope maxed out....

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

scope maxed out....

Postby Amazi on Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:15 pm

I got a new scope for my 270 this year went to zero it in and..... my gosh I had to max it out down to get where I wanted, and had to max it out left and its about 1/2 inch off at 50 yards where I want it. Iv never seen this before what wound cause this or is it time for new scope rings and mounts? Its a bushnell 4x12x50 rings I don't know and mounts don't know but there older then me.
Amazi

Re: scope maxed out....

Postby JJ on Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:27 pm

You've got a mounting issue. A properly aligned base/ring combo should keep you within 6-8" of the center of the scopes range at 100yds. If you are using more than 12" of adjustment, you should check your setup. Somethings not right.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

scope maxed out....

Postby LumberZach on Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:32 pm

If you don't know what mounts and rings they are that would be my first start... midway or cabelas sell rings and bases pretty cheap and work just fine for hunting. Can you upload some pictures? Stories like this are usually user error in my experience and it would be good to ensure there's nothing out of place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
LumberZach

Postby Amazi on Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:09 pm

It's a m77 older has the screw to the receiver never seen one like it before but I'm sure that's how it was back in the 70s.
Looked a little for some not sure if they will work I won't buy it online unless I'm 100% it's a direct bolt up.

only issue is I go deer hunting next week so I don't have a lot of time to mess with it but where ill be hunting 1/2 inch off at 50 yards is not a big deal but its not something I'm going to leave as it is.
I do have another rifle that I'm leaning more towards but ill probably still rock the 270 anyways.
Attachments
20161028_150651.jpg
Amazi

Postby Snakeman721 on Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:17 pm

See that big screw on the rear base? Adjust THAT first to get you close , left to right, THEN fiddle with the scope turrents.
Get off my lawn!
Snakeman721

Postby BigDog58 on Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:09 pm

Amazi wrote:It's a m77 older has the screw to the receiver never seen one like it before but I'm sure that's how it was back in the 70s.
Looked a little for some not sure if they will work I won't buy it online unless I'm 100% it's a direct bolt up.

only issue is I go deer hunting next week so I don't have a lot of time to mess with it but where ill be hunting 1/2 inch off at 50 yards is not a big deal but its not something I'm going to leave as it is.
I do have another rifle that I'm leaning more towards but ill probably still rock the 270 anyways.

I'm not familiar with the Bases on a M77 , but is it possible you have the front and rear mounts reversed? That could account for the running out of scope adjustment vertically.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby speedy396 on Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:32 pm

May also check to see if the rings are the same height. I've seen some older rifles use different height rings to clear a larger objective lens. Also make sure the rings lugs are fully seated.
speedy396

Postby Amazi on Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:09 pm

All I did on it was a scope swap. I didn't do anything else to it.
Amazi

Postby JJ on Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:26 pm

Amazi wrote:All I did on it was a scope swap. I didn't do anything else to it.

You have to consider the specs of the optic you are installing. If you are replacing an optic with 80moa of adjustment, with an optic of 60 MOA of adjustment, it's not a 1:1 replacement.

Center the adjustment range of the optic, and adjust your mounting to the center of the scopes adjustment range.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby OldmanFCSA on Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:33 pm

Some Rugers use two different height scope bases (mine do). If an equal height base set is used or an un-equal with wrong combination, your screwed.

Get a quality base and ring setup and do it correctly.

Sight-in only requires 1 shot, maybe 2 if you need to verify.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Amazi on Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:50 pm

JJ wrote:

You have to consider the specs of the optic you are installing. If you are replacing an optic with 80moa of adjustment, with an optic of 60 MOA of adjustment, it's not a 1:1 replacement.

Center the adjustment range of the optic, and adjust your mounting to the center of the scopes adjustment range.

I don't even know what your talking about....
Amazi

Postby OldmanFCSA on Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:03 pm

Amazi wrote:
JJ wrote:

I don't even know what your talking about....

He's talking WINDAGE.
Sandbag your rifle with scope on target. Then....
Center the crosshairs of scope by dialing to left stop, count clicks to full right stop, divide number of clicks in half, move back to center. THEN on your rear base adjust the two screws to better center the scope on target tighten screws, fine tune with scope.

But if your elevation is so far off - I would replace bases and rings and fix all properly.
OldmanFCSA

Postby hard h2o on Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:23 am

Those look like Leupold bases. Is there a screw on both sides of the rear base?

Those screws are used for rough windage. Look at the owners manual for your scope. It should say how to get the crosshairs back centered in the scope. That is when you have an equal amount of travel left and right and up and down. Then you need to get your scope roughly sighted in. After that you use the windage and elevation knobs to fine tune your zero.

If you can not boresight the scope there are a couple of ways to get close. Remove the bolt and using a solid rest and maybe some helping hands look down the bore and put the bore on target. Then with someone holding it rock solid look through the scope. using the windage screws on the base orient the cross hairs so that they are also aligned on target. Then still with the firearm held firm look through the bore and then the scope to verify the rough bore sight. Once you are satisfied lock the mount screws down and loctite if desired. Then, before the loctite is set, confirm that the scope is pointing to the same spot as the bore. Now you can shoot and fine tune the zero.

I have a little magnetic lazer that mounts to the muzzle end of a barrel to give you a rough boresight.

BTW, where did you buy the scope? I believe Cabela's offers free scope mounting if you buy a scope there. If you are unfamiliar with scope mounting and boresighting it might be worth a couple of bucks to have a professional mount the scope.

I am sure you are excited about the new optics but might be prudent to slap the old scope on, assuming it is in working order, and wait until after the season to properly mount the new optics.
hard h2o

scope maxed out....

Postby LumberZach on Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:03 am

Why does everyone wait a week before deer season to find out they have a problem in their equipment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LumberZach

Postby mmcnx2 on Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:45 am

LumberZach wrote:Why does everyone wait a week before deer season to find out they have a problem in their equipment?

Same guys that start their boat for the first time at the launch on opener, same guys that show up for a meeting and immediately have to step out to fill their coffee cup, the same guys that did not bring protection on prom night. And that is how we end up with more of those guys.
mmcnx2

Next

Return to Long Guns