Which AR? Olympic or Alex Pro?

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Re: Which AR? Olympic or Alex Pro?

Postby Tronster on Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:16 am

Springfield Armory just released this very well spec'd AR and looks like the street retail price will be close to $800, so I'd fully recommend this. http://www.springfield-armory.com/products/saint/
Tronster

Postby Squib Joe on Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:37 am

Come in to Bill's in Robbinsdale on Saturday and try the Saint out for free

"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby Ghost on Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:54 am

Tronster wrote:Springfield Armory just released this very well spec'd AR and looks like the street retail price will be close to $800, so I'd fully recommend this. http://www.springfield-armory.com/products/saint/

I considered suggesting that but I didn't know much about it.
Ghost

Postby Seismic Sam on Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:15 pm

Just make sure that you don't confuse Alex Pro "Up Nort, yah, suure, yew betcha" with Alexander Arms on the East Coast. Those folks are responsible for the 50 Beowulf, and the case is a total abortion.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Seismic Sam on Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:22 pm

Ghost wrote:Nobody asked what the intended use is?

Buy the one you like and can get, do it before Tuesday.

And you can quit fantasizing about a picking out different barrels and handguards and all the rest of the stuff. The end is near!!

And BTW - I got a S&W M&P-15 Sport II for $623 complete, and the only thing you really need is a better trigger. IF you can get hold of a gun, JP Enterprises in Hugo can do a match trigger replacement for $220. See my posts on it in the rifle section.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Ghost on Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:45 am

Seismic Sam wrote:Just make sure that you don't confuse Alex Pro "Up Nort, yah, suure, yew betcha" with Alexander Arms on the East Coast. Those folks are responsible for the 50 Beowulf, and the case is a total abortion.

But they also developed the Grendel which is arguably the best available round for the ar15 platform.
Ghost

Postby Seismic Sam on Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:14 am

Ghost wrote:
Seismic Sam wrote:Just make sure that you don't confuse Alex Pro "Up Nort, yah, suure, yew betcha" with Alexander Arms on the East Coast. Those folks are responsible for the 50 Beowulf, and the case is a total abortion.

But they also developed the Grendel which is arguably the best available round for the ar15 platform.

I like the Hansel round better than the Grendel........ :lol: :lol: :lol:
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Erud on Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:17 am

Ghost wrote:

Which can be turned into the 6mm AR Turbo 40º or 6mm Fat Rat, which are even better!
Erud

Postby Ghost on Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:44 pm

Erud wrote:
Ghost wrote:

Which can be turned into the 6mm AR Turbo 40º or 6mm Fat Rat, which are even better!

I did say available, meaning I can buy a box of ammo without much effort or significant money.
Ghost

Postby Erud on Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:32 pm

Ghost wrote:
Erud wrote:
Ghost wrote:But they also developed the Grendel which is arguably the best available round for the ar15 platform.

I did say available, meaning I can buy a box of ammo without much effort or significant money.

Wasn't arguing with you, just expanding on your point.
Erud

Postby Ghost on Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:01 pm

Erud wrote:
Ghost wrote:
Erud wrote:

Wasn't arguing with you, just expanding on your point.

Ok, I agree
Ghost

Postby Jack's My dog on Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:36 am

I have an APF. Runs well for me, but I am an AR noob. I would guess I only have 500-750 rounds through it, so not sure I would see any wear issues at this point. The guys in the shop are friendly and helpful if you are ever in the Alexandria area during the week you can just stop in.
Jack's My dog

Postby shooter115 on Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:29 am

shooter115

Postby Dill on Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:15 am

I've used a couple Alex Pro stripped lowers, and I've had no problems with them at all. Then again, the only lower that I"ve had issues with is a Frontier poly lower, I'd never make that mistake again.
Dill

Postby goosed on Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:09 pm

Alex Pro Firearms(APF) is the sister company of Alex Pro Fab.

Alex Pro Fab has been in the machine shop game for a while now. They got their foot in the AR game building OEM parts for other manufactures. Not lot of info of exactly who's parts they have built or currently build. I might venture to guess that DPMS is one of those companies, for whatever that's worth, as their 308 AR uses DPMS pattern handguards.

Not a big fan of their T-mod, or whatever they call it, rail system. The barrel nut for their AR15 handguards is slightly longer than a classic nut, so there will be a gap between rail and handguard if you don't swap nuts when changing guards. Their AR's are no where near JP quality, but definitely above their price point IMO. I really like their Nickel Boron Bolt/carriers, high quality part for the price.
goosed

Previous

Return to Long Guns