Building first AR

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Re: Building first AR

Postby INOR on Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:56 pm

So many decisions and options. Interested in the Larue barrel and trigger that Ghost linked, especially when the trigger is only $99 when you're buying the barrell. Anyone have any insight into the lead time on Larue for the barrel and the trigger? Also guess i need to figure out whether upper has M4 feed ramps, which I think it does. Went with a basic Anderson stripped receiver and think the specs say that has M4 feed ramp.
INOR

Postby Ghost on Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:20 pm

People are currently receiving triggers ordered mid September. Assuming orders were highest when the $99 sale started it may speed up. It may not though. I don't know about barrel deliveries. You could call them.
Ghost

Postby grimbeaver on Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:26 pm

I just got my LaRue MBT and put it in last night. I ordered Sept 12th. Possible as a combo deal you will get it sooner than the "I can wait" price does. Seems very nice and am looking forward to shooting it to get a real feel for it. Going to be curious to see how the two stage combined weight of 4.5 lbs compares with my budget single stage 3.5 lb.
grimbeaver

Postby INOR on Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:49 pm

Decided to slow down a bit. I put together a spreadsheet and added up all that I was thinking of putting into it and then added in the cost of the basic required tools and it was getting to be much more than I wanted to spend all at once. So...went out today and picked up a basic M&P15 Sport II just to start shooting. Still have the upper that I bought and picking up a lower on Monday which I will stick away in the safe and then start picking up some parts when I see them on super sale. Will also give me a little more time to study and figure out what I really want while I enjoy shooting this M&P.

As for the M&P, won't likely get it out to shoot this weekend. Probably not until next weekend which will give me some time to check it over first.
INOR

Postby Seismic Sam on Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:31 am

INOR wrote:Decided to slow down a bit. I put together a spreadsheet and added up all that I was thinking of putting into it and then added in the cost of the basic required tools and it was getting to be much more than I wanted to spend all at once. So...went out today and picked up a basic M&P15 Sport II just to start shooting. Still have the upper that I bought and picking up a lower on Monday which I will stick away in the safe and then start picking up some parts when I see them on super sale. Will also give me a little more time to study and figure out what I really want while I enjoy shooting this M&P.

As for the M&P, won't likely get it out to shoot this weekend. Probably not until next weekend which will give me some time to check it over first.

I love my M&P Sport II, and the only thing it needs is a better trigger. Go out on the internet and get a Rise Armament Black Fallout Single Stage sporting trigger for $129 or less at ANY website (EXCEPT DeltaTeamTactical!!!) and put it in. You MUST use anti-walk pins with this trigger, and they're about $7.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby FJ540 on Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:09 am

What's up with Delta Team Tactical?

Have you used that Rise trigger?
FJ540

Building first AR

Postby INOR on Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:43 pm

Ok, so getting back to this. I purchased a M&P sport II from southwest back in November. I'm going to make some changes to that one but keep it as an open sites or red dot tactical type of rifle. For the one I'm going to build, I want to do something different and need to make the decision on barrel/gas length system now. For this rifle, I will scope it and use it more for fun at longer distances. Any recommendations on barrel? 18 or 20? 24? Mid or rifle length gas system? Should I go full bull barrel, heavy, or midweight? I don't do handloading and am not trying to build a tackdriver. Just something that can be fun with a scope at longer distances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
INOR

Postby Ghost on Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:01 pm

LaRue still has barrels for $225, get the 20" PredatAR and you'll be good to go
Ghost

Building first AR

Postby INOR on Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:09 pm

Thanks. Was looking at those but they only have 16 and 18 in that barrel. Can get the 20 in the Stealth model which looks more like a mid to heavyweight barrel which seems like would be fine. Their site doesn't specify the gas system length they use for each barrel or at least not as far as I could tell. I'll have to give them a call.

INOR

Postby Ghost on Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:10 pm

INOR wrote:Thanks. Was looking at those but they only have 16 and 18 in that barrel. Can get the 20 in the Stealth model which looks more like a mid to heavyweight barrel which seems like would be fine. Their site doesn't specify the gas system length they use for each barrel or at least not as far as I could tell. I'll have to give them a call.

Sorry, didn't realize they didn't have the 20" in that. Either of them is going to be a really good barrel. Just depends on how much you want to carry around. A little more velocity out of the 20" but both will be sub moa.
Ghost

Postby INOR on Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:16 pm

Thanks. Pretty sure I'm going to go with that Larue Stealth barrel. Just waiting for them to respond to an email I sent. Now studying muzzle brakes, compensators, flash suppressors, etc.

This isn't something that I'm concerned about keeping on target for rapid fire shots. This one will be more of a plinker with time between shots. Any suggestions on what to do for this? I like the idea of a muzzle brake just to keep the recoil down a touch, but with a heavy 20 inch barrel, not sure that I need to worry about that as much.
INOR

Postby Ghost on Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:15 pm

IMO, I'd put a thread protector on it and see if any progress is made on the HPA. I wouldn't want the added noise of a brake.
Ghost

Building first AR

Postby INOR on Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:51 pm

Ghost wrote:IMO, I'd put a thread protector on it and see if any progress is made on the HPA. I wouldn't want the added noise of a brake.

Good thought. Maybe I'll do that and hold off for a bit. Hmmm...if I keep taking all your good ideas, I'm probably going to owe you a beer or coffee or something. BTW, I did end up ordering the larue barrel and ordered the gas block, tube, barrel nut, and the mbt trigger. Will see how quickly they fill the order given that I packaged all that.

INOR

Postby Ghost on Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:38 pm

Nobody said they were good ideas ;)

I went the compensator route first and then had to swap everything out for suppressor mounts. I'm a big fan of start assembling and see how it works then put money where you think it'll benefit the most.

With the MBT and that barrel you will have a very good shooter if you can do your part. I'd be more inclined to put the muzzle device money into better glass if it was me.
Ghost

Postby grimbeaver on Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:49 am

I will agree. My target AR is not even threaded and my blackout just has a thread protector from Odin. I really have not felt the need for anything more yet.
grimbeaver

PreviousNext

Return to Long Guns