Building first AR

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Building first AR

Postby INOR on Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:51 pm

What does everyone think about buffer tube on a 20 inch barrel rifle gas system? Researching whether need a rifle length buffer tube and spring or if the milspec carbine length that will work with an extendable stock will suffice. Most stuff I've read said carbine length buffer tube will work fine. I have a carbine already so guess could just build the upper out in its entirety and try it with this gun's lower to see how it shoots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
INOR

Re: Building first AR

Postby Ghost on Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:55 pm

Ghost

Postby grimbeaver on Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:32 pm

INOR wrote:What does everyone think about buffer tube on a 20 inch barrel rifle gas system? Researching whether need a rifle length buffer tube and spring or if the milspec carbine length that will work with an extendable stock will suffice. Most stuff I've read said carbine length buffer tube will work fine. I have a carbine already so guess could just build the upper out in its entirety and try it with this gun's lower to see how it shoots.

I run a carbine tube and JP standard weight captured spring on my 20" w/rifle gas and it shoots just fine. If you already have the stuff I would try it first before spending money as it will probably be just fine.
grimbeaver

Postby INOR on Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:11 pm

Thanks! Interesting idea about the 9mm buffer. I suppose the heavier buffer would be the thing, but yeah, since I have the carbine lower kit already, I suppose I'll try that first before I decide if I want to try a heavier buffer. Definitely want to go with the adjustable stock, as not a fan of the fixed rifle stocks like I had on my USMC A2.

Just got shipping info from Larue so my barrel and related parts are inbound. Also ordered the rest of the parts that I need to complete the upper except the charging handle, BCG, and the handguard. Handguards are perplexing....damn they are expensive for what they are. I think I want to go with a 15-16 inch floater, but still looking at them. Lots of options and they're all really expensive relative to what you pay for the core hard parts!
INOR

Postby Ghost on Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:21 pm

Last BCG I bought, for my LaRue 300BO so haven't tried it yet since I'm waiting for it to ship.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XAIMBCGNIBBDG

I have bought PSA bcg's with no issue but I mostly buy BCM bcg's and charging handles.

Hand guard really depends on what you want and what you will pay.
Ghost

Postby grimbeaver on Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:20 am

I should note that I used a PSA full-auto BCG in my build. So that adds a small amount of mass. The one Ghost listed is full-auto as well.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-5-56 ... 32392.html

For hand guard I bought the JP Enterprises MK 3 Rapid Configuration for both my rifles. Should I build another upper though I'm leaning towards the Odin Works O2 Lite. If you want budget take a look at Monstrum Tactical.
grimbeaver

Building first AR

Postby INOR on Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:40 am

Everything ordered or in the safe already for the build except the scope and mount. I ended up just going with a PSA NiBo BCG and the BCM charging handle. For a handguard, I ended up going with a UTG pro 15 keymod, which I know some folks aren't fans of keymod but I figured I'd try it. Just got some mbus flip up sights for now until I figure out the scope I would like. And the buffer tube/stock isn't finalized yet. I'll put on the carbine tube, spring, and buffer and see what it does before I decide if I want to try the heavier buffer or go to the longer rifle buffer. The more I've been thinking about it though, having an adjustable stock isn't that important. There are some decent rifle length stocks that don't look as clunky as the a2 stock. Will decide that after I get the thing built which I hope to do in the next couple of weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
INOR

Postby grimbeaver on Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:29 pm

If you want a non-clunky rifle stock take a look at the Luth-AR MBA-2. For a carbine tube since you already got something UTG check this one out, my friend got one and I'm pretty impressed with the quality:
http://www.primaryarms.com/utg-pro-mil- ... tlu001-kit
grimbeaver

Postby FJ540 on Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:18 pm

Ace makes a nice fixed stock too.

FJ540

Postby Ghost on Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:26 pm

LaRue rat stocks are still on sale.
Ghost

Previous

Return to Long Guns