Building first AR

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Building first AR

Postby INOR on Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:59 am

Well, decided that I will build an AR. My brother-in-law has one that he purchased (a Bushmaster) and I'd like to get out with him and do some shooting. Thus far, we've primarily been into pistols.

Haven't built an AR before but have familiarity with the basic A2 platform from days in the USMC. Assembly looks easy enough. Have ordered stripped receivers and will start from there. But honestly, it's a little overwhelming with all the possibilities out there! Still trying to understand differences in carbine, mid-length, and rifle and figuring out what I want to do there. Thinking carbine. Want to build something more on the lightweight side and just fun for some target shooting. I don't want to go super cheap on the components. Everything I've read says to invest a little more in the barrel, BCG, and the trigger so looking at that stuff now.

Any recommendations on barrel lengths and brands? How about triggers (currently thinking single stage) and BCGs?

Thanks!
INOR

Re: Building first AR

Postby striped1 on Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:24 am

What is your budget?

SLR or BCM keymod handguard
Stretch 16 melonited barrel
AR Gold Trigger
will make for a good start. If you are gosing to stay will a standard mass carrier you don't need a adjustable gas block unless you think you might run suppressed at some point.

A good brake can make a difference too.
Last edited by striped1 on Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
striped1

Postby Ghost on Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:03 am

Gas tube length is determined by barrel length and which barrel manufacturer you pick. Pick the barrel first.

IMO

Best shooting lightweight barrel, you need at least a 16" unless you want to SBR it the 16" will also be very accurate but you get more velocity the longer the barrel is. If considering suppression then shorter is also much more manageable.
http://www.larue.com/556-predatar-barrel

Best trigger
http://www.larue.com/larue-tactical-mbt-2s-trigger

There are lots of good BCG's I lean towards BCM
Ghost

Postby grimbeaver on Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:19 am

General rules for gas system:
Less than 10 inches = Pistol Gas
10-18 inches = Carbine Gas
14-20 inches = Mid Gas
20+ inches = Rifle Gas

If you want lightweight I would stick with a 16" barrel. There's lots to choose from at all price ranges. Looking at mid-range I have a friend who has one of these and is very happy with it and they have a 1 moa guarantee: (https://shop.workingmansarmory.com/Prod ... -BMatchMid). Both my barrels came from Black Hole Weaponry (now known as Columbia River Arms) but they were more expensive.

For trigger both my ARs run Palmetto Enhanced Polished (EPT) with JP Enterprises Reduced Power springs. For a total investment of about $40 each I have a crisp trigger with a 3.5lb pull. My friend says he thinks it's actually better than his ALG Defense ACT trigger which is $69. I also have the two stage LaRue that Ghost linked coming that I look forward to trying. I just can't bring myself to spend $200 on a trigger (yet).

For BCGs most will recommend a plated one. I run Palmetto State Armory nickel boron plated on both of mine and have no problems. Any BCG from a reputable brand should work just fine and will run you $110-$160.
grimbeaver

Postby shooter115 on Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:33 am

If I had to build one AR to cover all my uses (defense, competition, hunting), here's where I'd go. 18" mid-weight barrel, 1-8" twist. Straight .750 profile and rifle length gas system. For a muzzle device, I'd go Kineti-Tech with the removable blast shield. 15" hand guard, personally I really like the Nordic Components units for the price and feel. For the trigger, I really like the JP triggers, but for someone just getting into the platform, I usually recommend on of the drop in modular trigger groups like CMC, Rise, Timney, Hyperfire etc.
shooter115

Postby usnret on Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:56 am

Go to Midwayusa.com and watch the videos. They have ones for building a lower, and an upper. They are pretty informative for the first time builder. It also really helps to have all of the correct tools, which of course they sell.
"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: Always cheat and
Always win."
GLOCK Certified Armorer
usnret

Postby Sigfan220 on Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:31 am

It's all personal preference. I would however suggest avoiding key mod. I don't know why everyone uses it.
Sigfan220

Postby Tronster on Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:15 pm

Sigfan220 wrote:It's all personal preference. I would however suggest avoiding key mod. I don't know why everyone uses it.

Because hand guards that look like shelving units are all the rage.

Personally, if it's just a range toy then a simple 16" midlength would suit you well. Just get a BCM LW upper and BCG, and assemble a lower from whatever decent brand you like. Put an affordable magpul stock and hand guard on there, whatever iron or red dot sight you like, and shoot away.
Tronster

Building first AR

Postby INOR on Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:27 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Not off to a terrific start so far. Ordered a lower from Sportsman Guide. They cancelled it as they were oversold on them (even though they had them listed as available on their website). Pretty much the same everywhere else. SG told me to check again on 11/21. When they expect their next shipment. Pretty much the same everywhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
INOR

Postby Sigfan220 on Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:52 pm

INOR wrote:Thanks for the feedback. Not off to a terrific start so far. Ordered a lower from Sportsman Guide. They cancelled it as they were oversold on them (even though they had them listed as available on their website). Pretty much the same everywhere else. SG told me to check again on 11/21. When they expect their next shipment. Pretty much the same everywhere else.

Yeah you waited a few months too long. I would keep looking. If Hillary gets in you may not see parts in stock for a long time.
Sigfan220

Postby Ghost on Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:14 pm

Looks like these are in stock
https://store.ar15.com/product.html?cat=100&pr=1006

Brownells usually has something in stock also.
Last edited by Ghost on Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ghost

Postby grimbeaver on Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:56 pm

Atomic Tactical had some when I was in there last week and they taking pre-orders for their own brand lower that is coming in later this month. Not sure what your price range is though.
grimbeaver

Postby usnret on Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:39 pm

Little Crow in Hutchinson has stripped Anderson lowers for $70.00.
"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: Always cheat and
Always win."
GLOCK Certified Armorer
usnret

Postby grimbeaver on Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:40 am

usnret wrote:Little Crow in Hutchinson has stripped Anderson lowers for $70.00.

That just reminded me. If you are on the other end of town Capra's usually has the Anderson lower for $70 you just gotta ask for it as I want to say they don't have them on display.
grimbeaver

Building first AR

Postby INOR on Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:21 am

grimbeaver wrote:
usnret wrote:Little Crow in Hutchinson has stripped Anderson lowers for $70.00.

That just reminded me. If you are on the other end of town Capra's usually has the Anderson lower for $70 you just gotta ask for it as I want to say they don't have them on display.

Thanks. That's close enough to my work. Will give them a call.

INOR

Next

Return to Long Guns