Ruger selling AR15 lower

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Re: Ruger selling AR15 lower

Postby UnaStamus on Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:29 pm

shooter115 wrote:Noveske has never made a lower receiver, they have been farmed out to various vendors over the years. You are paying a lot of money for a brand name and nothing more.

You are paying money for the name, but most of it is actually for the machining and inspection process. Components receive grading based on the quality of the forging. Noveske uses Grade 1 components, which cost more money due to their high desirability and higher quality. CMT makes lowers for Noveske last I checked, and they have accounts with Colt, Wilson Combat and others. With Colt needing Grade 1 components to meet the military TDP, you have a high demand for them, which in turn increases the cost. Further costs are added when you increase the amount of quality control and testing done.
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

Postby FJ540 on Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:39 am

My most accurate AR sits on a Noveske "chainsaw" (blem) lower. Thought long and hard about selling it for 3-5x what I built it for in the panic, but just couldn't bring myself to gouge someone that much or give it up. :lol:

Lowers have no impact on accuracy unless so out of spec as to cause the BCG to do something goofy before the bullet has left the bore (bullet should be long gone by the time the bolt unlocks anyway). If you're shooting for tight groups, the forearm/rail is going to be well supported; which in turn will take up any of the slop in the pin-to-receiver(s) fit. Your optic is securely attached to the upper, so nothing between your glass and barrel ever changes.

Having said that, we tend to judge a gun by the non-critical features; engraving, bluing, figure in the wood, tool marks, polish, etc. Sloppy fit has come to be frowned upon in AR's, where too tight will get you killed in a gunfight if you need to clear a popped primer that's locking up your trigger and can't get the takedown pin(s) out. Then you say "Oh, but I only use blah blah blah ammo, and they're crimped in" - You can't say you'll never run out of ammo and won't use anything you can find if it came down to it.

Do the pins fit (takedown and trigger group), and does the mag drop free? Receiver extension cut square to the top shelf of the lower? If all is good, there's no functional difference from what generally sells for $50 all the way up, unless you're after the funky stuff like ambi and what not (which are cool).

My FN M16A2 in the army was looser than a $3 hooker (or so I've heard :? ), and it'd put rounds on target if I did my job with the booger hook.

I just put a $250 stock on a $40 lower, and that gun shoots single holes @50yds with a tactical scope.
FJ540

Postby 2in2out on Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:14 pm

Just saw on Facebook that Lakes Trading has a pile of Ruger lowers in stock and ready to be gift wrapped.
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Postby FJ540 on Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:07 am

$105 each.

Told them when they're $70 to let me know, and I'll come buy a couple. They responded wholesale is higher than that.

I guess I won't be buying any for a while. :lol:

They're sure to sell a few. Just not to me.
FJ540

Postby Squib Joe on Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:18 am

I don't mind paying 50 bucks more for a lower when I know the name will add at least twice that to the price of the rifle should I ever sell it. If it's something I would never sell the name doesn't matter much.
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby FJ540 on Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:02 am

Have you seen that, Joe?

Would you pay me $900 for a home built S&W or Ruger, instead of the $400 you'd give for the real thing?
FJ540

Postby photogpat on Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:57 am

*YAWN* (for Ruger)

*YAAAAAAAAWNNNNN* (for Springfield)

...and for anyone else who brings out another "us too" AR.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby Squib Joe on Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:31 pm

FJ540 wrote:Have you seen that, Joe?

Would you pay me $900 for a home built S&W or Ruger, instead of the $400 you'd give for the real thing?

I meant return on investment for the name on the lower, not the complete gun

So yes .. a used home build on an Anderson lower would go for 400-500 bucks, but the exact same parts on a Rock River, Stag or Bushmaster lower would be more like 600+

Right or wrong, the name absolutely influences resale prices
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby shooter115 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:52 am

UnaStamus wrote:
shooter115 wrote:Noveske has never made a lower receiver, they have been farmed out to various vendors over the years. You are paying a lot of money for a brand name and nothing more.

You are paying money for the name, but most of it is actually for the machining and inspection process. Components receive grading based on the quality of the forging. Noveske uses Grade 1 components, which cost more money due to their high desirability and higher quality. CMT makes lowers for Noveske last I checked, and they have accounts with Colt, Wilson Combat and others. With Colt needing Grade 1 components to meet the military TDP, you have a high demand for them, which in turn increases the cost. Further costs are added when you increase the amount of quality control and testing done.

Nobody is doing any extra testing or QC on Noveske lowers. You are paying for a "Grade 1" rollmark.
shooter115

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:38 pm

FJ540 wrote:

Lowers have no impact on accuracy unless so out of spec as to cause the BCG to do something goofy before the bullet has left the bore (bullet should be long gone by the time the bolt unlocks anyway). If you're shooting for tight groups, the forearm/rail is going to be well supported; which in turn will take up any of the slop in the pin-to-receiver(s) fit. Your optic is securely attached to the upper, so nothing between your glass and barrel ever changes.

I don't know if I agree with this. Yes if the forearm and rail support is important and of course if that is in a vise then whatever the lower does would have no impact but I have first hand experience that cheek weld and how you support the stock DOES in fact effect precision and consistence of the shot. So the lower in essense is part of the support system of the foreend/rail and barrel.
Holland&Holland

Postby FJ540 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:34 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
FJ540 wrote:

I don't know if I agree with this. Yes if the forearm and rail support is important and of course if that is in a vise then whatever the lower does would have no impact but I have first hand experience that cheek weld and how you support the stock DOES in fact effect precision and consistence of the shot. So the lower in essense is part of the support system of the foreend/rail and barrel.

You can't apply pressure to the handguard without tensioning the pins. Gravity will rest the receivers even if you don't apply any pressure to hold it steady.
FJ540

Previous

Return to Long Guns