Long range rifle shooting??

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Long range rifle shooting??

Postby wrench on Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:40 pm

A co-worker of mine is interested in long range rifle shooting, 500y + kind of thing.
I know some of you guys do this, service rifle, F class, Palma??
If you would be willing to chat with a really interested fella, let me know and I'll exchange info. Even if you would just point me in the right direction to point him.
Also, any workshops, clinics available to help him get started?
I know this is vague, but I am not a long range shooter, so have limited knowledge of these disciplines.
Gopher rifle in Harris, Elk River, ????
Thank you in advance, shoot me an email through the board if you are willing to help.
Remember, gun control is not about guns, it's about control.
wrench

Re: Long range rifle shooting??

Postby minnesotatv on Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:32 am

Elk River has, in the past, offered an orientation meeting in early spring
that is worth attending, and is required if you want to shoot in their
practice/league sessions. Also they usually offer a "Wind Clinic" that
that offers advice, and sometimes coaching on the line. IMO its worth
the time for new shooters - and many old shooters.

more here:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=56087&p=552834&hilit=elk+river#p552834

as far as Palma competition, try Erud
minnesotatv

Postby Erud on Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:42 am

I do a little long range shooting. If your friend is interested in any of the traditional "sling" disciplines, you can give them my info. If they are looking more towards F-Class, I'm probably not the best resource. I'll send you a PM with my email address.
Erud

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:11 am

If he's interested in Service Rifle He can contact me at cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby goalie on Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:35 pm

Rip Van Winkle wrote:If he's interested in Service Rifle He can contact me at cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org

And if he wants to borrow some stuff to shoot their device rifle clinic, let me know

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby OldmanFCSA on Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:43 pm

wrench wrote:A co-worker of mine is interested in long range rifle shooting, 500y + kind of thing.
I know some of you guys do this, service rifle, F class, Palma??
If you would be willing to chat with a really interested fella, let me know and I'll exchange info. Even if you would just point me in the right direction to point him.
Also, any workshops, clinics available to help him get started?
I know this is vague, but I am not a long range shooter, so have limited knowledge of these disciplines.
Gopher rifle in Harris, Elk River, ????
Thank you in advance, shoot me an email through the board if you are willing to help.

When you say "Long range rifle shooting", I'm thinking 1000 yard as we shoot in FCSA Match Competitions or 3520 yards as in the "King of the 2-Mile" competition sponsored by the FCSA at the NRA Whittington Center outside Raton, NM. Other shooters are pushing the 4400 yard targets. Scoring hits at these ranges remains an issue, but different teams are working on these problems.

Either way, its hard to find a good range.
Several serious shooters here have given you some really good info, especially ERUD, and others.

I don't shoot the 2-Mile but I watch, learn, and help another shooter from NE Nebraska in the development of his rifles. Multiple barrel testing different twist rates and even testing "Gain Twist" rifle barrels. Pushing 450 grain projectiles 3500 fps or even faster if "coated bore/bullet" technology is utilized.

As you learn your rifle, your loads, and your ability, look on FaceBook to learn the groups that are out there shooting long range here in Minnesota or Wisconsin.

AND ----------Welcome from Osceola, WI.
OldmanFCSA

Postby wrench on Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:32 pm

Thanks to all of you guys who posted here and PM'd me with offers of help for my co-worker. I've passed along a couple of emails, and some links to ranges where he can get some further classes and advice.
Hopefully he will avail himself of all of this, get started, and become hooked!
You fellas are the best 8-)
Remember, gun control is not about guns, it's about control.
wrench

Postby Randygmn on Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:37 pm

wrench wrote:Thanks to all of you guys who posted here and PM'd me with offers of help for my co-worker. I've passed along a couple of emails, and some links to ranges where he can get some further classes and advice.
Hopefully he will avail himself of all of this, get started, and become hooked!
You fellas are the best 8-)

If he's interested in free, and the most comprehensive amalgamation of long range precision shooting information, in the history of the world, tell him to look up tiborasaurusrex on YouTube. His "sniper 101" video series is essentially the Bible on "extreme long range precision shooting". There are very few folks as truly talented as he is, both in skill and ability to teach (pass along digestible information). And again, his labor of love is to pay it forward, for free.
Randygmn

Postby yukonjasper on Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:39 pm

I am no expert but I have been sampling these videos at your reommrndation and they are really well done. Thank you for the reference.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Return to Long Guns