Do all Hunting rig, $1000 budget.

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Re: Do all Hunting rig, $1000 budget.

Postby Jack's My dog on Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:50 pm

Ghost wrote:Smurfman has nailed it if you want a bolt gun. You could also add another AR upper, I'm a fan of the 6.5 Grendel.

Edit: with a good QD mount you could use your existing scope if it has adjustable turrets that have good repeatability.

I really like the idea of the Grendel a lot, but spending $500-600 on an upper when I could get an entire bolt gun for similar money, makes me want to wait on the 6.5 at the moment. Also Pat's point about traveling with a bolt gun makes sense. Not ruling it out in the future though. ;)
Jack's My dog

Postby shooter115 on Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:00 am

If I had to pick one gun to do everything from shooting varmints to taking elk it would be a bolt gun in 7mm Rem Mag. Shoots bullets from 120-180 grain. Ammo available virtually everywhere. Flat shooting and hard hitting. I'd rather have a rifle that's overkill on the small stuff than underkill on the large.
shooter115

Postby Ghost on Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:37 am

Jack's My dog wrote:
Ghost wrote:Smurfman has nailed it if you want a bolt gun. You could also add another AR upper, I'm a fan of the 6.5 Grendel.

Edit: with a good QD mount you could use your existing scope if it has adjustable turrets that have good repeatability.

I really like the idea of the Grendel a lot, but spending $500-600 on an upper when I could get an entire bolt gun for similar money, makes me want to wait on the 6.5 at the moment. Also Pat's point about traveling with a bolt gun makes sense. Not ruling it out in the future though. ;)

When you do it build your upper, it's easy but won't be cheaper, just better.

My first thought for a do all was 30-06 but if I was wanting a new hunting rifle I'd lean towards the 260's/6.5's do to their potential. Do you reload?
Ghost

Postby Jackpine Savage on Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:05 am

shooter115 wrote:If I had to pick one gun to do everything from shooting varmints to taking elk it would be a bolt gun in 7mm Rem Mag. Shoots bullets from 120-180 grain. Ammo available virtually everywhere. Flat shooting and hard hitting. I'd rather have a rifle that's overkill on the small stuff than underkill on the large.

A magnum, you'll turn everything into hamburger!

About 35 years ago I picked the 7mm Rem mag as my 'one gun'. My first and most favorite was a Rem 700 Classic, but it was stolen in a home burglary. I replaced it with a Browning A-bolt. As it turned out I ended up with more than one rifle and caliber, but the 7mm Rem Mag has served me well over the years. It still my go to gun for deer.
Jackpine Savage

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:49 pm

Jackpine Savage wrote:
shooter115 wrote:If I had to pick one gun to do everything from shooting varmints to taking elk it would be a bolt gun in 7mm Rem Mag. Shoots bullets from 120-180 grain. Ammo available virtually everywhere. Flat shooting and hard hitting. I'd rather have a rifle that's overkill on the small stuff than underkill on the large.

A magnum, you'll turn everything into hamburger!

About 35 years ago I picked the 7mm Rem mag as my 'one gun'. My first and most favorite was a Rem 700 Classic, but it was stolen in a home burglary. I replaced it with a Browning A-bolt. As it turned out I ended up with more than one rifle and caliber, but the 7mm Rem Mag has served me well over the years. It still my go to gun for deer.

7mm mag would not be a bad choice for a go to single rifle, I own one myself and love that loading, however .30-06 is going to give you a bit more possibilities on the upper end, going to a .300 Win mag would stretch that even further.

How about a 7x57 or a 6.5 swede? Won't beat you up as much as either of these and really will do what you are asking them to do.
Holland&Holland

Postby photogpat on Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:04 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
7mm mag would not be a bad choice for a go to single rifle, I own one myself and love that loading, however .30-06 is going to give you a bit more possibilities on the upper end, going to a .300 Win mag would stretch that even further.

How about a 7x57 or a 6.5 swede? Won't beat you up as much as either of these and really will do what you are asking them to do.

Those calibers will nearly always fail the gas station availability test.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby Ghost on Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:56 pm

photogpat wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:

Those calibers will nearly always fail the gas station availability test.

Not sure that is all that important in a hunting rig (or any), buy ammo by the case
Ghost

Postby farmerj on Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:01 pm

Normally, I'd agree with you.

Plan for the worse and hope for the best.

At least that way you can prep for worst case.

Suck hind one of you go to Alaska and forget your ammo or it gets misplaced at the outfitters base station where you get ferried in from.

There's all kinds of calibers to choose from. A wildcatter is the a good one for remote locations.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby Ghost on Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:51 pm

farmerj wrote:Normally, I'd agree with you.

Plan for the worse and hope for the best.

At least that way you can prep for worst case.

Suck hind one of you go to Alaska and forget your ammo or it gets misplaced at the outfitters base station where you get ferried in from.

There's all kinds of calibers to choose from. A wildcatter is the a good one for remote locations.

When I've taken guns to Alaska the ammo stays in the guncase with the gun.

Hell in Alaska Walmarts carry some seriously heavy calibers as compared to here but once outside of the city 5.56 and 22LR seemed to be the only consistent calibers.

Then again Delta didn't put my bags, including firearm, on the plane on one trip. They perk up a bit when you say your firearm did not arrive.
Ghost

Postby crbutler on Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:58 pm

Some airlines require the ammo in a separate bag than the firearm.

Less of an issue if you are driving, but it still sucks to forget or put the wrong ammo in the car.

For a first rifle, stay with something common.

After you have been out there a bit, getting other things makes sense.

If you are one of those guys who never forgets and won't fly, the 7-08 is a neat choice as well for elk on down.
crbutler

Postby Jack's My dog on Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:26 pm

I think .308 and 30 06 are in the lead at the moment. I like the idea of the reduced recoil from the .308. I want to spend sometime behind the gun and get good with it, and enjoy my self while doing it. I am not sure if I have ever shot a 30 06, so I don't really know what the perceived recoil difference would be. That said, It looks like you have some heavier bullet options for 30 06 which makes it attractive. I think with the 308 you would need to be more selective with your shots, but that would be where spending more time behind the gun would be a plus.

I reload pistol calibers and have been reloading a bit of .223, so going with a less popular round is feasible, but he gas station test makes a lot of sense.

If I can get out this weekend, I might go take a look at few used racks to see what is out there.
Jack's My dog

Postby farmerj on Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:38 pm

I would lean toward the 30-06.

as somebody else stated, you can get 200+ gr bullets in it for something like bear
Last edited by farmerj on Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby Jack's My dog on Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:46 pm

Crbulter- a 20 ga slug will drop a deer all day long, but based on my personal experience, I would not push it out to 150yds. I know people do it. If I am being honest I just can't see myself practicing enough at 3 dollars a pop to get as good as I should with that gun. I also think the only real way to push it out that far would be with a 3 inch, which I don't really enjoy shooting. While I have never had an issue putting deer down, the last 2 years I have taken deer with the 2 and 3/4 federal copper solid sabots, they have failed to pass through the deer at under 40 yds. The bullet did what it was supposed to on the inside, but the idea of not having a good blood trail from the lack of pass through bothers me.
Jack's My dog

Postby Jack's My dog on Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:48 pm

farmerj wrote:I would lean toward the 30-06.

Has somebody else stated, you can get 200+ great in it for something like bear

I haven't looked it up in manual yet, but I saw some internet banter about up to 220 grains. That is a decent sized chunk of lead.
Jack's My dog

Postby farmerj on Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:49 pm

Jack's My dog wrote:
farmerj wrote:I would lean toward the 30-06.

Has somebody else stated, you can get 200+ great in it for something like bear

I haven't looked it up in manual yet, but I saw some internet banter about up to 220 grains. That is a decent sized chunk of lead.

As much as I love the.308, find a bear round for it
Current moon phase
farmerj

PreviousNext

Return to Long Guns