Do all Hunting rig, $1000 budget.

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Postby ZardozCZ on Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:13 am

Czech out (get it?) CZ rifles in whatever caliber you like. Mines a .270, chosen for higher velocity, flatter trajectory, and bullet variety to cover varmints to thin skinned large game. They all come with single set triggers as well. Cold hammer forged barrels, old world craftsmanship in modern materials, Mauser actions. A lot to love about them.

Oh yeah, you can find .270 on the shelf when all the 30-06 and 243 is gone...
ZardozCZ

Re: Do all Hunting rig, $1000 budget.

Postby Jack's My dog on Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:25 am

ZardozCZ wrote:Czech out (get it?) CZ rifles in whatever caliber you like. Mines a .270, chosen for higher velocity, flatter trajectory, and bullet variety to cover varmints to thin skinned large game. They all come with single set triggers as well. Cold hammer forged barrels, old world craftsmanship in modern materials, Mauser actions. A lot to love about them.

I had my eye on a 527 before I bought my AR. Looked like a I nice gun, and I am partial to CZ handguns. Arnzen used to have a few rifles on the wall in the past. I will check them out.

On another note, I was checking out arms list last night, they have a lot of savages listed in MN. For those of you that buy used rifles, specifically in this case bolt guns, What do you look at closely before buying? Anything you would add to the below list.

Just guessing I should check-

-Bore condition
-Crown condition
-Run the bolt a bit
-Condition of the Mag if applicable.
-Rust or pitting-Are there any hidden spots to look at specifically?
Jack's My dog

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:30 am

Jack's My dog wrote:
ZardozCZ wrote:Czech out (get it?) CZ rifles in whatever caliber you like. Mines a .270, chosen for higher velocity, flatter trajectory, and bullet variety to cover varmints to thin skinned large game. They all come with single set triggers as well. Cold hammer forged barrels, old world craftsmanship in modern materials, Mauser actions. A lot to love about them.

I had my eye on a 527 before I bought my AR. Looked like a I nice gun, and I am partial to CZ handguns. Arnzen used to have a few rifles on the wall in the past. I will check them out.

On another note, I was checking out arms list last night, they have a lot of savages listed in MN. For those of you that buy used rifles, specifically in this case bolt guns, What do you look at closely before buying? Anything you would add to the below list.

Just guessing I should check-

-Bore condition
-Crown condition
-Run the bolt a bit
-Condition of the Mag if applicable.
-Rust or pitting-Are there any hidden spots to look at specifically?

I have 2 527s. Very nice rifles. Love the set trigger.
Holland&Holland

Postby OldmanFCSA on Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:52 am

farmerj wrote: Including a .280 Remington barrel for the 7mm chamberings. Since the .280 is a necked down .30-06. And I have a ton of that brass from shooting the M1. (All once fired.)

A 280 Rem is NOT JUST a necked down 30-06. A 270WIN is a necked down 30-06. The 280Rem looks similar but the case shoulder is 0.050" further forward to prevent chambering in a 270 or a 30-06.

========================================================================================

Back in 1977 I bought a 7mm Rem Mag as my first choice of a hunting rifle while living in a state that only allowed deer hunting with shotgun deer slugs. That 7mm RM was used for everything else from coyote to elk hunting in other states = it was a good choice. But then I got the BUG and started buying rifles of many different calibers and then reloading each to find the best load for its intended purpose. Choices included 17Rem up thru to the 50BMG. Then I started revolvers. pistols, single-shot target-hunting pistols. Then I started building my own rifles and target pistols. Then a bad divorce stopped it all.

If I had to pick one rifle to shoot all the main hunting animals within the lower 48, I would pull my original 7mmRemMag out of the safe.

I gave my son two Winchester model 70 rifles (both left hand) in 7mmRemMag and 30-06 Springfield. He started shooting the 30-06, then switched to the 7mm. Soon the 30-06 was his "safe queen" due to the accuracy of the 7mmRM. He really likes shooting 1 ragged hole groups at 200 yards. He also reloads for all of his firearms now when not deployed flying KC-135R tankers.

My 2 cents. (but still want to build a 280AI)
OldmanFCSA

Postby farmerj on Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:54 am

OldmanFCSA wrote:
farmerj wrote: Including a .280 Remington barrel for the 7mm chamberings. Since the .280 is a necked down .30-06. And I have a ton of that brass from shooting the M1. (All once fired.)

A 280 Rem is NOT JUST a necked down 30-06. A 270WIN is a necked down 30-06. The 280Rem looks similar but the case shoulder is 0.050" further forward to prevent chambering in a 270 or a 30-06.

========================================================================================

Back in 1977 I bought a 7mm Rem Mag as my first choice of a hunting rifle while living in a state that only allowed deer hunting with shotgun deer slugs. That 7mm RM was used for everything else from coyote to elk hunting in other states = it was a good choice. But then I got the BUG and started buying rifles of many different calibers and then reloading each to find the best load for its intended purpose. Choices included 17Rem up thru to the 50BMG. Then I started revolvers. pistols, single-shot target-hunting pistols. Then I started building my own rifles and target pistols. Then a bad divorce stopped it all.

If I had to pick one rifle to shoot all the main hunting animals within the lower 48, I would pull my original 7mmRemMag out of the safe.

I gave my son two Winchester model 70 rifles (both left hand) in 7mmRemMag and 30-06 Springfield. He started shooting the 30-06, then switched to the 7mm. Soon the 30-06 was his "safe queen" due to the accuracy of the 7mmRM. He really likes shooting 1 ragged hole groups at 200 yards. He also reloads for all of his firearms now when not deployed flying KC-135R tankers.

You can resize the .30-06 brass to make .270 or the .280 is my point.

I GET where you are coming from.

But it's a reliable source for brass when reloaded correctly.

sorry if I do NOT list all 81 steps to the entire process to get there.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby OldmanFCSA on Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:09 am

farmerj wrote:
OldmanFCSA wrote:

You can resize the .30-06 brass to make .270 or the .280 is my point.

I GET where you are coming from.

But it's a reliable source for brass when reloaded correctly.

sorry if I do NOT list all 81 steps to the entire process to get there.

I give you credit for getting it mostly correct. When resizing 30-06 brass to 280Rem, the resizing will leave a step in the neck which should hold the case back in the chamber to allow for a correct firing reform. But a lightly reloaded cartridge with the projectile seated against against the rifling will ensure the case will fully fit the chamber of the 280. (The 30-06 headstamp is supposed to stop you from shooting at Oakdale Gun Club IF RSO's are performing their job properly. Ammo must match chambering. They gave up on me. I used 30-06 case for many wildcats.)
OldmanFCSA

Postby farmerj on Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:15 am

You and the troll aren't the only ones who esperiment.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:23 am

I do believe a .270 is technically a .30-03 necked down to .270 not a .30-06 :twisted:
Holland&Holland

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:27 am

We only have RSO's and check during hours open to the public and it would not stop you from shooting there. The intent is to make sure they are shooting what is supposed to be shot in that gun. Generally we are able to tell the difference between someone who know what they are doing and the general public (generally). For instance we have had many wildcatters fire forming brass on the line.
Last edited by Holland&Holland on Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Holland&Holland

Postby ZardozCZ on Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:27 am

Holland&Holland wrote:I do believe a .270 is technically a .30-03 necked down to .270 not a .30-06 :twisted:

Don't tell my rifle that. It shoots lots of 30-06 resized cases!
ZardozCZ

Postby farmerj on Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:29 am

Holland&Holland wrote:I do believe a .270 is technically a .30-03 necked down to .270 not a .30-06 :twisted:

Gotta love Google.

Screenshot_20170114-092725.png
Current moon phase
farmerj

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:29 am

ZardozCZ wrote:

Don't tell my rifle that. It shoots lots of 30-06 resized cases!

Never said you could not make one from the other, just saying technically because when there are 2 reloading trolls squaring off it is fun to throw a bit of fresh meat in the pit :twisted:
Holland&Holland

Postby crbutler on Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:41 am

Erud wrote:
crbutler wrote:I double dog dare you to do a "rifleman" with a .45-70 loaded with buffalo bore 500 grain LFP ammo.

No way I would shove the butt of a WWG .45-70 up next to my crotch...

:mrgreen:

And I have hipshot a .416 rigby once.

Once.

But I did kill the *^%% snake...

Is "kill the snake" a euphemism for badly injuring your junk from doing this, by chance? :cogitating:

Nope, was hunting Buffalo and a spitting cobra reared up maybe 6 feet away, snap shot holding the gun at hip level and put the snake in two, but the recoil without holding the stock up against my shoulder was memorable, spun me a bit to the right, and my wrists an shoulder hurt for a while. The gun moved back maybe a foot in recoil, but I didn't drop it.

I was then told that I was to let the trackers beat snakes to death with a stick. That shooting like that scared the pro hunter and all because he had no idea why I shot and thought it was an AD.
crbutler

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:46 am

farmerj wrote:

Gotta love Google.

Screenshot_20170114-092725.png

You are correct, no relation or correlation between the two ;)

Carry on
Holland&Holland

Postby Jack's My dog on Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:27 pm

I stopped by a few shops today. Savage is still probably on the top of my list, but I really liked the action on the Tikkas I looked at. The Rugers looked pretty nice as well. Looks like you can get a used 77 for a reasonable price.
Jack's My dog

PreviousNext

Return to Long Guns