Do all Hunting rig, $1000 budget.

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Re: Do all Hunting rig, $1000 budget.

Postby Jack's My dog on Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:03 pm

For better or worse I think I will be settling on .308 due to less recoil, possible suppression in the future, and half way decent availability at "Cub foods" (Off the shelf ammo).
That said, I would agree the 30-06 is the "better" caliber for a do all North American big game rifle. I think I will enjoy the 308 more on the range, where ultimately the rifle will spend the majority of the time. I will just have to learn the limitations of the rifle and my shooting ability, which at this point is at about 200 yds, as I have never shot further than that in my life, but ringing a 8 inch steel plate at that distance is not hard.

Additional question, what power scope? I am leaning 3-9, but maybe I should consider 4-12?
Jack's My dog

Postby farmerj on Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:56 pm

Make yourself a 4" plate.

Can't blame you for the selection. I'm out of touch with what's currently on the market for glass.

.308 is still a 1000 yard gun.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby BigDog58 on Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:57 pm

If you plan to shoot out past the 200 yd mark, you can't go wrong with stronger powered scope. SWFA and Athlon are a couple that are quite popular (Long Range and PRS Shooters). Of course, you can't go wrong with Nightforce or Luepold but will pay a bit more. You can also get some decent deals on used scopes on Accurate Shooter, Shooters Forum. I have seen excellent deals there. I do suggest you do a bit of studying of the different reticles available with whichever brand you choose, and then look for a scope with the one you prefer.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby Ghost on Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:15 pm

BigDog58 wrote:If you plan to shoot out past the 200 yd mark, you can't go wrong with stronger powered scope. SWFA and Athlon are a couple that are quite popular (Long Range and PRS Shooters). Of course, you can't go wrong with Nightforce or Luepold but will pay a bit more. You can also get some decent deals on used scopes on Accurate Shooter, Shooters Forum. I have seen excellent deals there. I do suggest you do a bit of studying of the different reticles available with whichever brand you choose, and then look for a scope with the one you prefer.

Also Vortex has lifetime warranty but you pay for their higher quality lines.
Ghost

Postby crbutler on Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:37 pm

3-9 will do all you need for hunting.

If you are talking about 600+ yards then you need to have a scope with enough vertical adjustment in it for the extended ranges. The higher magnification will help shooting groups at longer range, but its of dubious value for hunting. This starts to be 30mm tubes, which tend to be more expensive.

I would go with a 3-9 leupold without the target turrets to save money, and use that until you know you need more scope, and by then (when you are needing the additional performance) you will have a better idea of what you like, and by then you should be in a place that if you want to spend close to your whole current budget on glass you can....hopefully.
crbutler

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:17 pm

Good advice here so far. 3-9 will do all you need though if you can get it I tend to like 2.5-10 or similar for a general scope for hunting. Nikon has some nice options for the money not to dismiss luepold.
Holland&Holland

Postby goalie on Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:11 am

Remember the saying "jack of all trades, mayer of none. "

If you start hunting at either extreme of distance, there will be some major compromises in any do-it-all rig.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby Jack's My dog on Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:50 am

3x9 or 2.5x10 is where I am going to look. Buying better glass as my ability and budget grow sounds like wise advice. As far as the reticle goes I know I want some sort of BDC, but not too busy. Capped turrets, and I will learn where the hash marks/dots line up based on my chosen load drops.
Jack's My dog

Postby Jack's My dog on Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:22 pm

So I went with the Savage FCNS Model 11 in 308 w/ the Accutrigger and Accustock. The plastic stocks on Savages are pretty darn flimsy (I own 2 others), after considering dealing with an after market stock, the accu-stock looked like a reasonable upgrade. I got a great price on the rifle at Southwest Arms, thanks John. Savage also has a 75 dollar rebate on the gun.

For Glass I picked up a Vortex 3x12 Diamond back HP. It is heavy, much heavier than the Luepold 3x9 I was considering. The extra cost for the reticle I wanted on the Luepold turned me off. In the price range the Nikon 5 in 3x14( ? I think) looked solid, and maybe a hair brighter than the Vortex. But I chose the Vortex, as I have had a good experience with my 1x4 Viper PST. Cabela's also had a $40 rebate on the scope, which I spent on Vortex Viper rings.

I think I am currently 60 bucks under budget (with out the rebates I would have blown the budget) Even if I decide to switch the bases that came on the rifle with a rail, to allow for more adjust-ability in mounting the scope, I still should make budget. Assuming that the rig shoots as well as my other Savages, I think I will have done ok. I kind of purchased the Toyota Camry of rifles, but hey, they work. I don't want to sound like I am disparaging Savage, they make a fine gun, just not too pretty. I will say, the trigger felt pretty darn good to me out of the box, and the bolt cycles fairly smooth.

Thanks for the feed back to all of my questions. I will follow up once I get a chance to ring it out.
Jack's My dog

Postby farmerj on Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:23 pm

sounds like a fun time will be had.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Previous

Return to Long Guns