AR15 Uppers question

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

AR15 Uppers question

Postby BuckKlier on Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:23 pm

Are there any advantages of a 16" carbine length upper over a 16" mid length upper? Way would one choose one over the other? Other than a bayonet fits on the mid length. Also what buffer would you use on the Mid length? :?
BuckKlier

Re: AR15 Uppers question

Postby Currahee on Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:57 pm

If it is a choice of a carbine 16 vs a mid 16 go mid. Just believe me. ;)
Currahee

Postby Ghost on Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:15 pm

Pick a barrel brand and length and you'll likely not have a choice on gas tube length.
Ghost

Postby Scratch on Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:10 am

A mid length gas system lets more gases go back through the gas tube to help with cycling more types of ammunition. They are generally considered more reliable than a carbine system if you have the choice.

As far as buffers, you may have to play around with them, but I've only had to go with a heavier buffer on a very short pistol build once. Go with a standard weight buffer first and you'll probably be fine.
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

AR15 Uppers question

Postby gaberelli on Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:44 am

Scratch wrote:A mid length gas system lets more gases go back through the gas tube to help with cycling more types of ammunition. They are generally considered more reliable than a carbine system if you have the choice.

As far as buffers, you may have to play around with them, but I've only had to go with a heavier buffer on a very short pistol build once. Go with a standard weight buffer first and you'll probably be fine.

This had me SCRATCHing my head... pressures are higher in carbine length systems and dwell time is longer thus a carbine gas system typically has a stronger gas impulse but can easily become overgassed resulting in unnecessary recoil and potentially affecting accuracy. Mid length has lower chamber pressures and a shorter dwell time with a generally softer impulse. Mid gas on a 16" barrel is my preference for the average AR as it easily cycles all ammo weights with the correct gas port and generally has less recoil.

http://ar15barrels.com/tech/pressure-time.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gaberelli

Postby FJ540 on Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:17 pm

Carbine gas system was meant for a 14.5" barrel and ultimate reliability for combat accuracy (4MOA).

If given the choice, I'd go mid-length every time. You can feel the difference.
FJ540

Return to Long Guns