Why I abandoned the AR 15..............

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Postby yukonjasper on Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:30 pm

I came across the following article and thought it might provoke some discussion.

https://goo.gl/uyfxS6

The AR-15 and its parent rifle, the select-fire-capable M4 carbine, have served the United States Armed Forces and many of its allies for nearly 50 years. Many of us know the history behind its selection and implementation, complete with all its growing pains. Today’s M4 is similar to the original M16A1, but advancements in machining, design, materials, and powder make today’s M4 a much more reliable weapon platform.

That being said, I can no longer place any confidence in the AR-15 to defend myself in a time of disaster or urban unrest. To protect myself and my family, I have completely switched over to the AKM family of weapons—a semi-automatic variant of the legendary AK-47. I know that somewhere, someone is saying out loud that I am a dumb-ass or a communist. When I first discussed this with one of my close friends, a career Army infantryman with more than 16 months of combat duty spent with the 172nd Infantry Brigade, he just shook his head in disagreement. I remember telling him over some beers, and he just kept asking “Why?” with a look of disappointment and bewilderment on his face.

Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Re: Why I abandoned the AR 15..............

Postby Erud on Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:11 pm

Sounds like a dumb-ass communist. Who cares what he thinks?
Erud

Postby MJY65 on Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:23 pm

A dumb ass commie with too much time on his hands. How in the heck is the number of available buffers a problem? Unless you are shooting ammo that is out at the fringes, you will never need anything but the OEM anyway.
MJY65

Postby Scratch on Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:24 pm

Different strokes for different folks.
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby gaberelli on Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:28 pm

Ah..... what's wrong with BOTH?! I don't feel the need to limit myself. I'm allowed to own more than one gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gaberelli

Postby yukonjasper on Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:39 pm

I have long heard stories about the legendary reliability and resilience of the AK platform and the relatively finicky AR design. I do own both, but what if you were relegated to only owning one and your life absolutely relied on it? I must admit, its been a while since I pulled the SKS out of the safe and it certainly doesn't have any specialty parts added - down and dirty - clean of the Cosmoline and away you go...............
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Erud on Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:44 pm

When is the last time you found 7.62x39 at Cub Foods?
Erud

Postby mmcnx2 on Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:50 pm

I'm in the minority and still believe a handgun is a better personal defense tool. A long barrelled gun (even one just long enough to be legal) is still a lengthy piece to maneuver around in halls and through doorways.

I also believe that if in the unlikely and unfortunate circumstances you actual use it and end up in court an AR/AK will have more of a negative influence on a uneducated jury. Kind of like having 'wait for the flash' engraved on the end of your barrel, should not make a bit of a difference but jury's are strange beasts. I'll stick with my 100% stock glock 27 runing common factory personal defense ammo, both used by LE all over the nation and about as generic as possible. I'd classify a shotgun somewhere in the middle depending on how 'tactical' it appeared.

Face it most of us could be painted as 'gun nuts' to many people, we have a number of firearms, some unique, many of us reload and have a sizable 'stash' of ammo, many of us have taken 3rd party training beyond carry permit level and lastly a few of us participate in practical shooting sports. A prosecuting attorney if they want to is going to try to spin each of those in the worst possible light. So by selecting a personal protection firearm that appears to be more reasonably accepted it is potentially one less brick they can use against you.
mmcnx2

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:55 pm

Interesting read. I guess once you really get into the article and understand what he is saying, I can't argue with his main points. That said, it is just for those reasons that I do love AR's. I have built several now, have screwed up as many times as I have been successful and have learned valuable lessons with each build. In the event that I was ever in the situation he describes I do not think I am at a disadvantage with an AR instead of an AK. I know I have the tools and parts to break it down and rebuild it anyway I want and feel if it has an issue I can fix it. Not saying one can't be the same way with an AK but I am better with legos than tinker toys.

I also think he over exaggerated some of the AR myths and opinions. Take the lube for instance. While how I lube and what I use is a topic I have wrestled with myself on many occasions, I suspect that there are really many "right" answers for this. Meaning, with a bit of care and common sense your AR should run.
Holland&Holland

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:56 pm

Erud wrote:When is the last time you found 7.62x39 at Cub Foods?

Does in my car in the parking lot count?
Holland&Holland

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:58 pm

mmcnx2 wrote: A long barrelled gun (even one just long enough to be legal) is still a lengthy piece to maneuver around in halls and through doorways.

SBR it!
Holland&Holland

Postby Erud on Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:58 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:

It does not.
Erud

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:02 pm

Erud wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:

It does not.

What if it is in stripper clips and a bandolier over my shoulder while I pick up eggs and milk?
Holland&Holland

Postby mmcnx2 on Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:03 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
mmcnx2 wrote: A long barrelled gun (even one just long enough to be legal) is still a lengthy piece to maneuver around in halls and through doorways.

SBR it!

Talk about not helping yourself with a jury - half the folks that shoot don't get those yet alone 12 total strangers that get called up. Also would guess your stamp might be in limbo while the whole mess is sorted out.
mmcnx2

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:16 pm

Another AR vs AK argument..........yawn. I've been hearing them for almost 50 years.

I hope he keeps his rifle well maintained and stocked with ammo.

So I can use it after the zombies get done eating his brains. :roll:
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Next

Return to Long Guns