Recommendations for quick takedown barrel?

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Postby jdege on Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:14 pm

Last edited by jdege on Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
jdege

Postby LumberZach on Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:15 am

Dolos seems to be the one I hear about most. I do not have experience though.

What is the appeal of a quick takedown barrel on a gun where you can take the receivers apart?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LumberZach

Re: Recommendations for quick takedown barrel?

Postby OldmanFCSA on Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:58 am

"If you were doing an AR build with a quick takedown barrel, which would you consider?"

Since you didn't specify which AR platform, look at an AR-7 rifle.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Ghost on Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:20 pm

Ghost

Postby jdege on Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:34 pm

LumberZach wrote:Dolos seems to be the one I hear about most. I do not have experience though.

What is the appeal of a quick takedown barrel on a gun where you can take the receivers apart?

QRBs are faster to take apart and put together, and make for a much shorter package.

The upper is an 11" barrel with upper receiver attached. The lower is a 16" barrel with upper receiver disconnected.
jdege

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:35 pm

jdege wrote:
LumberZach wrote:Dolos seems to be the one I hear about most. I do not have experience though.

QRBs are faster to take apart and put together, and make for a much shorter package.

The upper is an 11" barrel with upper receiver attached. The lower is a 16" barrel with upper receiver disconnected.

Faster than 2 pins? Please.
Holland&Holland

Postby LumberZach on Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:10 am

jdege wrote:

If you like it, I'm all for it. These always seemed like a solution looking for a problem imo though. If you get one share it with us and prove me wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
LumberZach

Postby Erud on Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:49 am

How fast do you want to take an AR15 down?
Erud

Postby jdege on Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:59 am

Holland&Holland wrote:Faster than 2 pins? Please.

I've only field stripped a couple of hundred ARs, so my limited sample may be unrepresentative, but I've noticed more than a few with sticky pins.
Back when I was a unit armorer (A Co., 1st Engineers) I usually used the charging handle as a hammer to free the front pin.
jdege

Postby Ghost on Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:14 pm

jdege wrote:

I've only field stripped a couple of hundred ARs, so my limited sample may be unrepresentative, but I've noticed more than a few with sticky pins.
Back when I was a unit armorer (A Co., 1st Engineers) I usually used the charging handle as a hammer to free the front pin.

Use a bullet tip
Ghost

Postby UnaStamus on Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:18 pm

I guess here's my question- why is it necessary to change a barrel out so fast? If it's just something you want to buy for the heck of it, have at it. Nothing wrong with that. If your concern for it is because you can't pop two pins fast enough, what is going on that you need to get the rifle apart or together so fast?

The problem more than anything is that you are severely limiting your options for barrel and receiver selection, and given how limited of a market it is out there for the barrel change option you want, you are really not going to have any proven platforms available to you. When this gimmicky stuff comes out- because that's what it is- you have to consider why you don't see major companies doing it like BCM, DD, HK, FN, etc. Quality quick-change barrel systems exist like what is offered by LMT, but that is a different concept that is not meant for quick toolless field-expedient disassembly and assembly for storage.

Using military rifles as an example of problems is misleading. Most military rifles are heavily abused and regularly get damaged by training, use and insanely excessive over-cleaning that destroys tolerances. If you have pins sticking, that's a tolerance stacking issue. If you buy a rifle commercially, you can weed out this problem by getting a rifle with an appropriately matched receiver set.
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

Postby jdege on Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:12 pm

Truthfully, fast isn't my issue.

I recently bought a takedown 10/22, and I really like the compactness of its case. I'm thinking about doing something similar with my next AR build.

jdege

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:07 pm

jdege wrote:

Then you are doing it wrong.
Holland&Holland

Return to Long Guns