Rem 700 gurus or local gunsmith?

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Rem 700 gurus or local gunsmith?

Postby atomic41 on Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:50 pm

Ok I'm looking for some help with a Rem700 PSS that I'm having issues with feeding rounds. Is there anyone on here that knows the 700 real well that would be willing to take a look?

I have it in a Manners stock, pillar bedded with unknown brand bottom metal since I bought the stock used. I've been using Magpul mags, .308 caliber. The problem is that the bolt skips over the next round and doesn't pick up. I've found that if I shove the mags in real hard, they work sometimes but it puts the mag above the mag release catch so it can work it's way back down to the catch and the bolt skips over again. On some mags, I can't push it in far enough to work right.

Something is off dimensionally but I can't figure it out. I'm wondering if the pillars are too tall or the bottom metal is not fitting in where it should because of interference with the stock somewhere. Are there any Rem 700 experts on here that can help?
atomic41

Re: Rem 700 gurus or local gunsmith?

Postby yukonjasper on Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:44 pm

What happens when you remount the original stock?
Provided it functions normally, you could take measurements from that setup and determine where the variances are which will point to what the problem is.

Not an expert or a smith.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby MJY65 on Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:10 am

You said the bottom metal is of unknown brand. Are you sure it's designed for Magpul/AI mags? There are several others that use proprietary mags.
MJY65

Postby atomic41 on Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:53 am

yukonjasper wrote:What happens when you remount the original stock?
Provided it functions normally, you could take measurements from that setup and determine where the variances are which will point to what the problem is.

Not an expert or a smith.

I don't have the original stock but that's a great idea.
atomic41

Postby atomic41 on Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:54 am

MJY65 wrote:You said the bottom metal is of unknown brand. Are you sure it's designed for Magpul/AI mags? There are several others that use proprietary mags.

Excellent question, I bought it used so I don't know. I'll see if I still have the sellers info and give them a shout.
atomic41

Postby Sigfan220 on Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:31 am

I would just take it to Ahlmans. They have done work for me a few times and I have always been pleased. I am actually on the phone with Remington now for another batch of warranty work. I am almost 100% positive these will go down to Ahlmans. They did the last batch of Remington warranty work. They have also threaded a barrel, and fitted an adjustable stock for me.
Sigfan220

Postby atomic41 on Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:25 pm

Ok I will check out Ahlmans if my current plan does not work...I just ordered a different brand mag to try out. I have a strong feeling it's these Magpul mags causing the issue.
atomic41

Postby MJY65 on Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:30 pm

If you post a picture of the bottom metal, someone may recognize the brand and be able to point you in the right direction.
MJY65

Postby speedy396 on Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:34 pm

No expert.
But if it were mine, I would
1) confirm you are using the right mag
2) check that action screws are tight and that the dbm is seated properly
3) visually check to see if the rounds are level in the action with the mag inserted normally, if not you need to figure out what is tweaking it. This could be caused by excess bedding material, uneven bedding, uneven pillars, bent dbm, etc. Use a bright flashlight and shine it around the mag well from the bottom. You should see a bit of light around the mag well. If not there may be some bedding material that is causing interference.

Worst case is to rebed the action to the stock. But I would figure out which dbm and the correct mags before spending any money. Good luck!
speedy396

Postby atomic41 on Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:35 pm

speedy396 wrote:No expert.
But if it were mine, I would
1) confirm you are using the right mag
2) check that action screws are tight and that the dbm is seated properly
3) visually check to see if the rounds are level in the action with the mag inserted normally, if not you need to figure out what is tweaking it. This could be caused by excess bedding material, uneven bedding, uneven pillars, bent dbm, etc. Use a bright flashlight and shine it around the mag well from the bottom. You should see a bit of light around the mag well. If not there may be some bedding material that is causing interference.

Worst case is to rebed the action to the stock. But I would figure out which dbm and the correct mags before spending any money. Good luck!

1) This is in process. I have a new mag on the way and will test it
2) This is what I need help with. What is the correct clearance? The metal is touching the bottom of the receiver in two places when torqued to 60 in/lbs, but when the mag is inserted, the bolt skips over the next round. That is hard to make sense of. I even removed the stock and just attached the metal to the receiver. When a mag is inserted this way, it still has problems. I'm leaning towards number 1.
3) Everything is straight, I've had this apart so many times I'm going nuts with it. If this mag doesn't work, I need to find someone that knows these inside and out. I'm very mechanically inclined, I'm just struggling with this because I don't know what the dimensions of these components are supposed to be and nothing is obviously out of whack.

Ugh
atomic41

Postby atomic41 on Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:38 pm

MJY65 wrote:If you post a picture of the bottom metal, someone may recognize the brand and be able to point you in the right direction.

I did a bunch of google image searching today and I might have found it but I was going from memory. I need to dig it out and compare to pics that I found. I'm hoping to have time later tonight.
atomic41

Postby atomic41 on Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:06 pm

Getting warmer! It looks exactly like this one: https://www.atlasworxs.com/collections/ ... ort-action

So it is made to fit AICS pattern mags. I have an AICS pattern mag coming in, if that works I'm GTG. If not, I'll be visiting Ahlmans I guess.
atomic41

Postby speedy396 on Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:32 pm

Hopefully, the mag will fix it.

If it doesn't, see if this link helps.
http://www.scout.com/military/snipers-hide/forums/5519-gunsmithing/14798428-wyatt-s-dbm-feeding-problem
speedy396

Return to Long Guns