New to the AR, newish to rifles in general, where to shoot?

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

New to the AR, newish to rifles in general, where to shoot?

Postby BoarSpear on Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:19 pm

Hey folks. I recently cobbled together an AR. I've taken it out to Bill's a few times and I'd like to try it at longer ranges, both for pew-pew and also to get a feel for using the iron sights at ranges where you actually have to aim. I'm sure the question comes up all the time, but where would a good place to shoot be near the Twin Cities?
BoarSpear

Re: New to the AR, newish to rifles in general, where to shoot?

Postby Ghost on Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:24 pm

With no idea where you are I'll suggest Oakdale Gun Club.
Ghost

Postby hard h2o on Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:15 pm

I will second OGC if you know of a member who will take you.

From first Saturday in June OGC is open to the paying public on weekends. Starting the last week in September I believe it is open to the public 7 days a week until something like the second or third weekend in November. Then it is members only until that first Saturday in June.
hard h2o

Postby grimbeaver on Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:19 am

There is not much for public options. Quite a few if you are willing to join a club.

The only place I know of that is open to the public daily is Del-Tone/Luth outside of St. Cloud. If you are in the NW metro it's not too bad of a drive.
grimbeaver

Postby Sigfan220 on Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:29 pm

Depends on how much you want to spend. For a budget range it is hard to beat Gopher Campfire in Hutchinson they go to 100yd. Rainbow Sportsman's in Cokato goes to 300yd but is not as well laid out. Beaverbrook in East Bethel is expanding to 200 but is more money than either of these. If you want something closer Forest Lake has a nice range, I am not a member but have used it in matches. I believe they go out to 400yd. GRRC goes to 1000yd but is a bit of a drive and expensive. It is a nice range.

OGC from what I understand is quite busy and requires volunteer hours. These are big turn offs for me. It is a nice range though. I have also heard Elk River is a less than desirable range, lots of events on the weekends and strict rules. Pretty much everyone I know that was a member quit when the rules started getting out of hand.
Sigfan220

Postby BuckKlier on Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:38 pm

On the south side of the cities is burnsville pistol range, they are picky on the ammo. (no Steel core)
and also there is Ahlmans in Morristown wet of Fairabault.
BuckKlier

Postby hard h2o on Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:15 am

Sigfan220 wrote:OGC from what I understand is quite busy and requires volunteer hours. These are big turn offs for me. It is a nice range though.

Most times during non-public hours I am either alone on a range or with only one or two other shooters. It is as busy as other ranges during public hours. Public hours end at 4:00 so even on days when we are open to the public there is some members only time.

I think the volunteer time is 18 hours. I do that on two days of RO duty. So 1 day in the summer and 1 in the fall. I do not find that unreasonable. On my RO days I always bring something to shoot. When 4:00 rolls around and we are good to go I grab my personal shooting irons for a little pew-pew.
hard h2o

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:26 am

hard h2o wrote:
Sigfan220 wrote:OGC from what I understand is quite busy and requires volunteer hours. These are big turn offs for me. It is a nice range though.

Most times during non-public hours I am either alone on a range or with only one or two other shooters. It is as busy as other ranges during public hours. Public hours end at 4:00 so even on days when we are open to the public there is some members only time.

I think the volunteer time is 18 hours. I do that on two days of RO duty. So 1 day in the summer and 1 in the fall. I do not find that unreasonable. On my RO days I always bring something to shoot. When 4:00 rolls around and we are good to go I grab my personal shooting irons for a little pew-pew.

OGC is only busy just before deer season, other than that it is pretty open. I have had whole ranges to myself for hours more times than not.
Holland&Holland

Postby hard h2o on Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:53 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
hard h2o wrote:
OGC is only busy just before deer season, other than that it is pretty open. I have had whole ranges to myself for hours more times than not.

That has been my experience as well. One of the main reasons I joined. I can shoot basically whenever I want. I can shoot from 25 yards to 200 meters. I can shoot clay birds when I want. I can bring up to 3 guests. The cost and duty hours are a small price to pay.

Bill's is $20 per shooter. I can see a real savings in a few trips to OGC.
hard h2o

Postby hard h2o on Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:35 pm

Sigfan220 wrote:OGC from what I understand is quite busy and requires volunteer hours.

Got home from work and picking up the kid earlier than expected today. Kid is not interested in doing anything. Had 2 hours of shooting time left. Drove over to OGC. I was the only one on the 25 yard range. Only three other cars there. one group of three on the members only pistol range. Someone else shooting on either the 200 meter or 50 yard. When I left at 6:10 one member was just arriving to use the 25 yard. That is why I am a member. No other range that close to the city with the variety of ranges and access. Cleaner than most other club ranges I have been to.
hard h2o

Postby 2in2out on Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:49 am

With only one post so far, the OP isn't giving us much to work with. Being south of the metro, I can think of quite a few spots that allow non-members or have extremely reasonable annual memberships (and no restrictions/waiting periods/probation periods, etc.). The options expand significantly for those willing to drive. But, we really don't know that about BoarSpear, and it would help to have a bit more info.
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Postby hard h2o on Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:05 pm

Looks like BESA will be opening to the public for the season soon:

http://www.mnguntalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=58148
hard h2o

Return to Long Guns