AR safety selector threaded pin?

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

AR safety selector threaded pin?

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:45 pm

I want to change out the trigger on a Bushmaster I picked up from a member of this board, got a LaRue MBT. So I'm in the process of disassembly where you pull the safety selector out of the lower and I noticed a threaded 'pin' extending from the main shaft of the selector. Makes it impossible to pull the pin out. Looks like it has a small hex slot. I don't have a hex that small and I barely know what I am doing anyway, so I put it back together.

Can someone tell me what that is all about? I looked on the interwebs and didn't see anything close to that, of course I didn't know what to search under because I don't know what it's called. Anyone willing to help out the AR noob?
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Re: AR safety selector threaded pin?

Postby Ghost on Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:54 pm

Not sure what you are describing.

Did you remove the pistol grip? There is a spring and a detent that holds the selector in, but you need to remove the pistol grip.

Edit: unless it's a badass selector with switches on both sides (ambi) you'll need to remove one side.
Ghost

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:15 pm

I wish I would have taken a picture. I understand what you are saying about an ambi safety or Badass safety. It's not that. It is a hex screw coming out of the safety switch at a 90 degree angle. I assume because of the threads and what l believe is a hex slot that it is screwed into the selector shaft.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby 45xdacp on Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:23 pm

45xdacp

Postby grimbeaver on Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:31 am

45xdacp wrote:Could it possibly be one of these https://www.jprifles.com/document_pdfs/JPFCSA_622.pdf

That was my first thought too. It's a JP with the adjustment set screw.
grimbeaver

Postby yukonjasper on Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:44 am

Yup. Dog point set screw. I don't know if it is that exact assembly but the screw position is correct So when I remove it, I can remove the selector, install the new trigger and reassemble. Are there specs for reinstalling the safety? Is it a super trick ninja operator safety?
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby yukonjasper on Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:03 am

Sorry, I see the instructions below. What are the advantages of this safety? Seems like it maybe for some special purpose.

At any rate, it's a little more disassembly to get my trigger in,doubt it will happen before I hit the range tomorrow.
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby grimbeaver on Mon May 01, 2017 5:19 am

yukonjasper wrote:What are the advantages of this safety? Seems like it maybe for some special purpose.

Well I have one because it's a quality ambidextrous and I shoot long guns lefty. But in theory it's a little "safer" because you can fine tune where it stops the trigger. When it is engaged I can barely move the trigger. I really like the feel of it and have considered getting a second to replace the Battle Arms BAD-ASS on my other AR.
grimbeaver

Postby yukonjasper on Mon May 01, 2017 9:59 am

In your experience, how complicated is the removal of that Safety? Is it below Novice level on the complicated scale?

I did not tackle the job before heading out this weekend and hit the range with the trigger unchanged. With limited time to fiddle with it, I was afraid that upon disassembly, the safety would end up in a bunch of pieces, leaving me with an inoperable AR on a day that I have access to a good outdoor range. I do not fancy myself a "smithy" and my fear of wrecking things is high.

Thanks for your thoughts.
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby grimbeaver on Mon May 01, 2017 12:30 pm

yukonjasper wrote:In your experience, how complicated is the removal of that Safety? Is it below Novice level on the complicated scale?

It really should not be complicated. The brass lock screw is going to be on the opposite side of the set screw so remove that lever first. Take the lock screw out and then take out the set screw. After that it should slide out like any other safety. Only catch would be if someone way over did the Loctite the screws.
grimbeaver

Return to Long Guns