Scope for Ruger Precision Rifle? (Not my Nikon?)

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Re: Scope for Ruger Precision Rifle? (Not my Nikon?)

Postby crbutler on Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:14 pm

Magnification range is mostly determined by choice of target. Intended range would be secondary for that issue.

If you are group shooting, more magnification is helpful. No real upper limit to what would help you other than practical considerations for the scope.

Steel and game at distance 10-15x is all you need.

Varminting can be a bit more magnification but anything over 25x has field of view and stabilization issues, at least in my experience.
crbutler

Postby bman940 on Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:39 am

I agree with CRButler. So many factor's come in to play depending on what you are going to shoot with your rifle. Even with the BDC reticle you can turn knobs to dial out your distance. Just like using the BDC reticle there is data you will need to make accurate shots at distance. The 6.5 CM is a lot of fun to shoot and will do all you ask of it, IMHO. Start with the 4-16 scope you have and see how happy you are,if you want something else then you can open a whole new can of worms and ask what scope should I get. The nikon scope you have now also has the abilty to have a custom turret ordered for it if that interests you?
bman940

Postby goalie on Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:26 pm

https://www.natchezss.com/weaver-super-slam-tactical-rifle-scope-6-30x56mm-34mm.html

L.O.W. glass from Japan. Tracks well. If it had a high-speed reticle instead of the IMDR it would be well over 1k, closer to 2k, like when it was released. Google some reviews. $650 with a 10% off code and free shipping a few weeks ago.

I put one on a Savage long range hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor ($550 after rebate at SOSS, also free shipping) to mess with up at the lake. It's glass is a big step up from the Phillipines stuff usually in that 700-1200 price range.

The rifle in case anyone's looking for a deal:

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/184551

EGW 20MOA base and some Burris XTR signature rings that were in the parts bin, and I should be able to zero at 100 with almost the full range of elevation available.
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Previous

Return to Long Guns