223-vs-NATO-vs-WYLDE-chambers.pdf
Attachments
223-vs-NATO-vs-WYLDE-chambers.pdf
(216.86 KB) Downloaded 182 times
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Re: Help me build a super accurate AR15

Postby OldmanFCSA on Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:04 pm

If anyone needs 5 boxes of Hornady 80 grain 0.224" projectiles.

I found out I didn't like single loading an AR-15 with these long seated for best accuracy.

And then having a long chambered rifle barrel increased group size with most other projectiles.

I found that at shorter ranges, flat based projectiles worked better out of that long chamber when loaded to fit within magazine.

Let us know how your new barrel/chamber choice works for you.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Ghost on Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:05 pm

Scratch wrote:
Ghost wrote:
Scratch wrote:Thanks, but the decision has been made...

I'm going with a Krieger 24" Varmatch barrel in 7.7 twist, with a JP Enhanced bolt.

Which chamber?

Haven't decided yet...
I think they offer 3 chamberings for that cartridge.

.223 Wylde
.223 Remington for 44-77 gr bullets
And 5.56 Match for loading longer than mag length, with bullets over 80 gr.

I like the idea of being able to load over mag length just in case I ever get to stretch it out and want a heavier bullet, but 99 percent of my shooting will be lightweight projectiles under 300 yards. I'll never shoot factory ammo through it, not sure if I ever have shot any 5.56 since I've had 2 presses before I even had an AR, so I don't need 5.56 or Wylde...?
My main goal with this rifle is super precise, accurate shots, taken prone on paper at 100-300 yards. That's it.

I'll get their opinion on Monday when I order it. Feel free to offer up any other opinions from the group.

Soooooo, what'd you decide?
Ghost

Postby Scratch on Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:21 pm

Also considering having Compass Lake do their CLE chamber, or White Oak Precision doing their WO Varmint chamber. They have a shorter freebore and the throat angles are different. Kind of like a more updated version of the .223 chamber, for more modern projectiles.

Might be getting a discount on barrels with another member.... :?

Will know tomorrow.... Hopefully.
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby grimbeaver on Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:35 am

I hate you all... now I really want to build another upper after reading this thread.
grimbeaver

Postby Ghost on Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:35 pm

grimbeaver wrote:I hate you all... now I really want to build another upper after reading this thread.

Well, I just shot 5 three shot groups with my LaRue Grendel and averaged .390 moa :D
Ghost

Postby Scratch on Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:40 pm

Going with the White Oak Varmint chamber, barrels on order.
Scratch

Postby Ghost on Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:44 am

Scratch wrote:Going with the White Oak Varmint chamber, barrels on order.

Barrels? Why the change?
Ghost

Postby Scratch on Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:09 am

Ghost wrote:

Barrels? Why the change?

No, still Krieger 7.7 twist, but bought through White Oak so they can chamber them with their chamber.
Scratch

Postby Ghost on Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:13 am

Scratch wrote:
Ghost wrote:

Barrels? Why the change?

No, still Krieger 7.7 twist, but bought through White Oak so they can chamber them with their chamber.

Ok, I understand. When will we see holes in paper?
Ghost

Postby Scratch on Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:13 am

Ghost wrote:
grimbeaver wrote:I hate you all... now I really want to build another upper after reading this thread.

Well, I just shot 5 three shot groups with my LaRue Grendel and averaged .390 moa :D

Nice job, can't wait to start load development for this! I hear people say "Precision shooting with a gas gun is way different than a bolt gun" am anxious to see what all the fuss is about...
Scratch

Postby Scratch on Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:14 am

Ghost wrote:Ok, I understand. When will we see holes in paper?

I'm guessing about 8 weeks....
:x

In the mean time, maybe this will help...
Last edited by Scratch on Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scratch

Postby Ghost on Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:18 am

Scratch wrote:
Ghost wrote:

Nice job, can't wait to start load development for this! I hear people say "Precision shooting with a gas gun is way different than a bolt gun" am anxious to see what all the fuss is about...

Yeah, I was shooting factory ammo. Hornady selling match ammo for $17/box makes me not want to reload.
Ghost

Postby Scratch on Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:39 am

Ghost wrote:Yeah, I was shooting factory ammo. Hornady selling match ammo for $17/box makes me not want to reload.

I REALLY enjoy it, and not just the pulling the handle part either...
I enjoy the little stuff, the tedious, stupid stuff. Stuff like searching for my brass on my range in the woods, setting a timer for my brass tumbler, rinsing my brass in the kitchen after it comes out of the tumbler, letting the wet brass dry in a big shiny pile on a towel on my deck in the sunshine, inspecting them while they're still wet, brass prep, seeing that crisp shiny gold ring on the case after it gets trimmed, putting the cases in the case tray all lined up perfectly, watching the powder trickle in grain by grain, writing the loads on the brass with a sharpie, making targets with multiple POA's, taking note of which loads go where on the targets, logging all my shots, and finally seeing the results of a good load that took all that work to find.

It sounds kind of corny but all that methodical crap is as enjoying to me as actually pulling the trigger! Which I can't quite figure out because I have an injury that sometimes causes me to have a hard time screwing the cap on the milk jug!
Scratch

Postby Scratch on Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:11 pm

Well, with a lot of help from Stugotz, (and some other people more knowledgable than me...) I finally figured out which barrel to go with, and came up with what I think is a pretty good combination...
Ended up with a custom 20" SS Krieger barrel, chambered in White Oak Armament's, White Oak Varmint chamber, with a 1:7.7 twist.
I'm also using a JP Enhanced bolt, and a clamp on style gas block (not sure who makes that...)
Some of the other goodies on the rifle are a Magpul PRS stock, Geissele HSNM-DMR trigger, YHM TJ Comp handguard Atlas BT-10 bipod, ADM Recon QD mount, and a Vortex Viper PST 6-24X50 FFP scope.

I did a little load development over the past few days and right now it seems to like the Hornady ELD-M 73gr bullets over 22.4gr of Varget pretty well. These two 5 shot groups are at 100 yards, prone, using a bipod and rear bag, traveling around 2505 FPS

I'm still planning on fine tuning the recipe a little more, but I'm waaaaaaaaaay more happy with this rifle now than I was a month ago shooting 1.5 MOA with it.
Thanks for all the help, especially Stugotz!
Last edited by Scratch on Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Long Guns