Help me build a super accurate AR15

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Help me build a super accurate AR15

Postby Scratch on Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:50 pm

I have a nice bolt gun in .308 that I've been getting about .5" 5 shot groups at 100 yards lately. I also have my fair share of AR's, and would like to have a precision AR built as well for some "less expensive" trigger time. I do have one AR that I consider to be my "long range" AR. It was just my second AR "build" though, and I thought all it needed to be a super accurate rifle was a 24" bull barrel, so that's what I got. I think the barrel is a stainless DPMS, cant remember the twist off hand, but either way... I can only get like 1.5" groups with it at 100 yards.

I want better and am willing to pay for it.

So I'm looking for what exactly makes a super accurate AR15 in .223/5.56 from 100-300 yards (since that's how long my range is)

Right now, it has a Magpul PRS stock, Rifle length gas system, Geisslele National Match DMR trigger, Vortex Viper PST 6-24X50 FFP scope, YHM handguard, Atlas bipod.
I'm looking for suggestions on barrel and bolt set from some great precision barrel maker. Not picky on what weight bullet to go with, since I'll get what ever I need and work up a load for it.

Any suggestions?
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Re: Help me build a super accurate AR15

Postby mmcnx2 on Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:05 pm

Talk to Krieger Barrels, he will make you a tack tack driver. My son shot mine for a year in f class at 600yds and he was shooting 10-12 inch groups routinely and it was his first year. I shoot it at 100 and it is one hole, 300 is a quarter to half dollar group. He will tell you get a good billet upper and quality carrier group. I sent him my upper and bolt, he installed the barrel and even suggested loads.

I'm out of the country this week but if you want you are welcome to look it over and I'd let you run a few rounds through it if you want to try before you buy.
mmcnx2

Postby Ghost on Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:13 pm

Krieger is a good choice, you'd get what you want with it.

I'd scrap the .223/5.56 and go Grendel myself, you'd be surprised at how little you'd shoot the .223 or .308 with a Grendel.

But if staying in .223/5.56

If you have any money concerns this is your best bang for the buck
http://www.larue.com/556-stealth-barrel
Ghost

Postby Scratch on Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:27 pm

Nope, not looking to start reloading another caliber. Want to stick with .223/5.56.
Scratch

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:18 am

Building an accurate AR is a piece of cake. Start with a quality barrel and add a full float tube.

Here's a list of quality Smiths that I've done business with and wouldn't hesitate to recommend.

Cut rifle barrels like Krieger tend to have a longer accurate life span, but aren't necessarily more accurate than button rifles barrels.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Ghost on Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:00 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:Building an accurate AR is a piece of cake. Start with a quality barrel and add a full float tube.

Here's a list of quality Smiths that I've done business with and wouldn't hesitate to recommend.

Cut rifle barrels like Krieger tend to have a longer accurate life span, but aren't necessarily more accurate than button rifles barrels.

Ordered a barrel from satern once, they decided to never deliver
Ghost

Postby Randygmn on Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:17 am

Freefloat a Krieger and get yourself an adjustable match trigger and you're good to go. Finally, there is some great match ammo available off the shelf like the sierra match kings. But it's best to determine what your individual barrel likes best by shooting different grain weights first before buying a bunch of different components. Once you figure that out, run some ladder samples with different powders and you'll find something that gets you consistently in or around .75moa. Sure, it's possible to get a "grail gun" that shoots tighter than that, but you'll spend the next few years, and spending a bunch of money chasing a .25moa improvement. There are guys that specialize in squaring up the action and barrels, but they are expensive and I'm not sure if they do that for ARs.
Randygmn

Postby MJY65 on Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:11 am

Do you definitely want to build it?

If not, you could order a JP and spec it out exactly as you want. They are really nice.
MJY65

Postby Scratch on Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:18 am

MJY65 wrote:Do you definitely want to build it?

If not, you could order a JP and spec it out exactly as you want. They are really nice.

I would prefer to build it, since I really like the handguard I have (YHM) and all I would need is a barrel and bolt. No need to pay someone to install that.
Scratch

Postby speedy396 on Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:15 am

+1 for JP. They sell barrels separately. Probably a few more bucks than a Kreiger. My JP15 has been my most accurate AR. Kreigers are good, too. I have them on all my bolt guns and an AR. Wait times can be long...
speedy396

Postby Ghost on Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:05 pm

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/11/21/precision-rifle-barrels/

That said I'd still spend the $225 on the LaRue and have a sub MOA maybe even half MOA shooter. I think you'd be very happy.
Ghost

Postby xd ED on Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:41 pm

Ghost wrote:http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/11/21/precision-rifle-barrels/

That said I'd still spend the $225 on the LaRue and have a sub MOA maybe even half MOA shooter. I think you'd be very happy.

Your graph is a bit of a chicken-and-egg situation.
Lots of Bartlien barrels win matches because lots of guys buy Bartlien barrels because Bartlien barrels win a lot of matches.
Having said that, had I not won a Kriegger barrel, I would have bought a Bartlien because....
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby samginko on Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:58 pm

Here is the D-tech upper I have been talking about. It is 20" bull barrel, forgot what the twist rate is. I sent in the upper receiver with the bolt and the D-tech installed the barrel and the handguard.

The target is at 200 yds (Oakdale), testing out four loads of 50 V-max. Biggest group is about 1 1/2" and the smallest group is at .71". This was after taking about a year off from shooting this rifle. I was also shooting pretty rapidly, all five shots within about a minute.
Attachments
target8.jpg
223.jpg
samginko

Postby JJ on Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:17 pm

http://shop.redxarms.com/16-RXA-DIAMOND ... -87796.htm

Fluting = Accuracy

Proven fact. i read it on the internets.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:18 pm

Ghost wrote:http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/11/21/precision-rifle-barrels/

That's interesting. Over on the National Match forum they had this poll.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-07-26 at 7.12.54 PM.png
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Next

Return to Long Guns