The Truth about 6.5 Ammo

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

The Truth about 6.5 Ammo

Postby acs75 on Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:01 am

Erud wrote:The 6BR is a great cartridge. In bolt guns, there are few better rounds for competition shooting at mid range distances. People even do very well at 1000 with them if the wind isn't too tough. Low recoil, very efficient, and super easy to make shoot well - what's not to like? That said, I had an AR chambered in 6BR around 2011 and could never get it to run right or shoot well. After owning it and looking at it for a while, I did not like the amount of metal left in the chamber or on the bolt face. It's basically the same case head size as a .308 being made to work with a bolt and barrel designed for a .223. The mags were also problematic, and malfunctioned frequently. There may be better offerings now, but I wouldn't buy one due to the bolt thing. After several trips back to the manufacturer, they bought it back from me and I moved onto a better 6mm solution for the AR platform: the 6mm AR Turbo 40º Improved. It's a 6.5 Grendel case necked down to 6mm, then fire formed to get a 40º shoulder angle and shorter neck. It can handle 105 hybrids at mag length with no trouble. Varget, Reloder-15, or H4895 were all super easy to make shoot well with anything from 80-107 grains. My 600 yard load with 105's does just shy of 2800 fps. Earlier loads were closer to 2950, but brass life was not good at those speeds. I shot about 10k rounds of that cartridge in NRA Highpower matches, winning many including state and regional championships.

I also took a 900# grizzly bear with it. Took 2.5 magazines and I had to track it for 3 miles, but he went down. Was a good kill. *

*Acs75 - I am just kidding about the bear. Only tracked him 2 miles, then lost interest and went out for pizza.

Good information Erud.

The 6mm ppc uses the grendal case. Maybe that's how they fixed it.

Lol smart a$$
acs75

Re: The Truth about 6.5 Ammo

Postby Ghost on Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:03 am

acs75 wrote:Good information Erud.

The 6mm ppc uses the grendal case. Maybe that's how they fixed it.

Lol smart a$$

Grendel was designed in like 2004 SAAMI in I think 2009

6PPC is from the early 70's
Ghost

Previous

Return to Long Guns