The Truth about 6.5 Ammo

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

The Truth about 6.5 Ammo

Postby acs75 on Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:08 am

Erud wrote:
acs75 wrote:
Erud wrote:
Why do I keep getting brought into this?

lol that's funny.

That wasn't the only one you were brought into.

I'm afraid I don't understand your meaning.

You are a small troll. You have misrepresented what I have said. You humor is off color. You have mocked me.

That's a small troll at best.
acs75

Re: The Truth about 6.5 Ammo

Postby Erud on Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:13 am

Now you are just being mean, I thought we were buddies?

Is a "small troll" better or worse than a regular or large one? :cogitating:
Erud

The Truth about 6.5 Ammo

Postby acs75 on Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:17 am

Erud wrote:Now you are just being mean, I thought we were buddies?

My hats off to you. Your reply was better then I thought.

I thought it would be closer to your mom wears army boots. Based a your mature behavior here.
acs75

Postby Erud on Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:28 am

acs75 wrote:

I thought it would be closer to your mom wears army boots. Based a your mature behavior here.

So hurtful.
Erud

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:29 am

Ghost, the build is $991 for the LaRue. I don't want to spend that much. Just wondering if the BCA $330 option is adequate? If I could keep it under $500 I'd be happy.

Should I assume or expect anything new would be a Grendel II? Should I seek a Grendel 2 and forsake the Grendel? Is the 2 inherently better?

Does anyone produce a certified "ethical " Grendel upper? Does that even exist? :D :bolt:
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

The Truth about 6.5 Ammo

Postby acs75 on Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:35 am

Erud wrote:
acs75 wrote:

So hurtful.

Sounds about right.
acs75

Postby Ghost on Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:36 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
Ghost wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:Ghost, do you have your retirement funds tied up in Alexander Arms or something?

Still waiting on that study by the way that shows the 6.5 Grendel outperforming the .300 win mag on moose in Scandinavia...

I don't own anything Alexander arms and I never said they used the Grendel over there for moose.

Point 1, the Grendel was developed by Alexander Arms so I thought you would get the reference.

Point 2, you reported that there is a study that shows 6.5 bullets being more effective on moose than .30 in Scandinavia. This would imply that you are stating that a 6.5 Grendel would be more effective that what? A .300 mag? I would contend that the 6.5s they studied, if this study exists, where a different class of 6.5 than your touted Grendel.

I will concede that the Grendal is a great cartridge for MN deer hunting. I will not concede it is better than a .308 for hunting tasks.

I got the reference, I was just saying I don't have anything from them. I've got a couple faxon's to build, a couple saterns builds and a couple LaRue's.

Yes, they likely kill moose with the 140's or 160's. Likely a 140 from 1890 is not as good for taking game as a 129 from the last 10 years. Some people are loading the 140's in the AR version. Velocity of the bullet is only a function of the range, assuming you maintain sufficient velocity for expansion more velocity = more range. The guys using them on elk are trending towards 100's and the LaRue elk was taken with a 120.

Side note: there are guys working with 160's in the AR Grendel for subsonic loads
Ghost

The Truth about 6.5 Ammo

Postby acs75 on Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:39 am

Ghost wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:
Ghost wrote:[quote="Holland&Holland"]Ghost, do you have your retirement funds tied up in Alexander Arms or something?

Still waiting on that study by the way that shows the 6.5 Grendel outperforming the .300 win mag on moose in Scandinavia...

I don't own anything Alexander arms and I never said they used the Grendel over there for moose.

Point 1, the Grendel was developed by Alexander Arms so I thought you would get the reference.

Point 2, you reported that there is a study that shows 6.5 bullets being more effective on moose than .30 in Scandinavia. This would imply that you are stating that a 6.5 Grendel would be more effective that what? A .300 mag? I would contend that the 6.5s they studied, if this study exists, where a different class of 6.5 than your touted Grendel.

I will concede that the Grendal is a great cartridge for MN deer hunting. I will not concede it is better than a .308 for hunting tasks.

I got the reference, I was just saying I don't have anything from them. I've got a couple faxon's to build, a couple saterns builds and a couple LaRue's.

Yes, they likely kill moose with the 140's or 160's. Likely a 140 from 1890 is not as good for taking game as a 129 from the last 10 years. Some people are loading the 140's in the AR version. Velocity of the bullet is only a function of the range, assuming you maintain sufficient velocity for expansion more velocity = more range. The guys using them on elk are trending towards 100's and the LaRue elk was taken with a 120.

Side note: there are guys working with 160's in the AR Grendel for subsonic loads[/quote]

If you want an AR-15 buy a 308. If you really need to push it.
acs75

Postby Ghost on Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:44 am

yukonjasper wrote:Ghost, the build is $991 for the LaRue. I don't want to spend that much. Just wondering if the BCA $330 option is adequate? If I could keep it under $500 I'd be happy.

Should I assume or expect anything new would be a Grendel II? Should I seek a Grendel 2 and forsake the Grendel? Is the 2 inherently better?

Does anyone produce a certified "ethical " Grendel upper? Does that even exist? :D :bolt:

Understand the cost

My understanding is the BCA is adequate and I think you'd be happy.

Grendel is SAAMI. Grendel II is a modified version, I don't know all the specifics on it but I think Grendel II popped up because Satern tweaked it a bit. Les Baer was also tweaking it and theirs is the LSB or something like that. My understanding is the SAAMI loading is the way to go but you likely won't notice a difference.

You can self certify when you kill your first deer with one shot.
Ghost

The Truth about 6.5 Ammo

Postby acs75 on Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:48 am

If cost is an issue the build the 6.5 grendal.
But you have 308 bolt. It's nice to have similar components. Especially if you reload
acs75

The Truth about 6.5 Ammo

Postby acs75 on Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:52 am

Not for deer. But you brought up coyotes
You can get this in AR-15

http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/6mmbr/
Last edited by acs75 on Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
acs75

Postby Ghost on Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:54 am

acs75 wrote:If you want an AR-15 buy a 308. If you really need to push it.

You should buy that POF one and post up a review. Pretty mixed reviews on them.
Ghost

The Truth about 6.5 Ammo

Postby acs75 on Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:56 am

Ghost wrote:
acs75 wrote:If you want an AR-15 buy a 308. If you really need to push it.

You should buy that POF one and post up a review. Pretty mixed reviews on them.

lol I can say the same for 6.5 grendal
acs75

Postby Ghost on Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:04 am

acs75 wrote:Not for deer. But you brought up coyotes

Interesting the article mentions the 6PPC since there's a certain round that used that for the design. Hint, that round was the Grendel.
Ghost

The Truth about 6.5 Ammo

Postby acs75 on Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:05 am

Ghost wrote:
acs75 wrote:Not for deer. But you brought up coyotes

Interesting the article mentions the 6PPC since there's a certain round that used that for the design. Hint, that round was the Grendel.

Yes I know that. What's your point?
acs75

PreviousNext

Return to Long Guns