CZ Scorpion Carbine 40S&W?

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

CZ Scorpion Carbine 40S&W?

Postby mnguy19 on Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:09 am

As I'm sure many of you on here are, I am a huge fan of the CZ Scorpion which as far as I know, only comes in 9mm at the moment. It's on my wish list regardless but I was wondering if anyone out there has heard any chatter as to whether or not CZ plans on making a version of the Scorpion in 40 or even 45acp. Like I said, I want one regardless but I'd rather hold off on the 9 if I knew they were going to be coming out with the other calibers. Let me know if any of you folks have heard anything about this. Also, if anyone has any alternative suggestions for a carbine in 40 or 45 I'm all ears. Don't want to splash the cash for a Vector to be honest and I don't care for the Beretta or Hi-Point stuff out there. Thanks everyone. Check out the link below if you want to check out the CZ scorpion, good review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqiEB-l5-Kc
"It's better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it".
mnguy19

Re: CZ Scorpion Carbine 40S&W?

Postby mmcnx2 on Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:19 am

I was on CZ pro staff when the Scorpion was being released. I would suggest you will not see a 40 and very unlikely a 45. 40 in the US market is declining very, very fast, I know a few manufactures that are making new models with no intent of making a 40. The 45 might be a good match but again the market for it is very small and basically only US based, I would not hold my breath.
mmcnx2

Postby mnguy19 on Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:23 am

Thanks, I had no idea. Do you have any idea why the 40 is declining so fast? I thought that round was by many considered superior to the 45. Anyways, that's unfortunate. I still really like 9mm but it's tricky to find much out there for carbines in 40 or 45.
"It's better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it".
mnguy19

Postby prushin on Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:48 am

KelTec is still making the Sub2000 in .40 Cal.

They're running about $400 and they use pistol mags.
prushin

Postby mmcnx2 on Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:53 am

mnguy19 wrote:Thanks, I had no idea. Do you have any idea why the 40 is declining so fast? I thought that round was by many considered superior to the 45. Anyways, that's unfortunate. I still really like 9mm but it's tricky to find much out there for carbines in 40 or 45.

Not to start a caliber debate, but basically with the current bullet technology 9. 40 and 45 have very little difference as a defense round. Thus 9 offers similar results with increased magazine capacity. In addition most LE find it easier to shoot.
mmcnx2

Postby Bearcatrp on Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:38 am

Wish they would make a 40 S&W version. Won't be leaving the 40 anytime soon.
Bearcatrp

Postby Ironbear on Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:28 am

It is worth noting that the overall length of .45 ACP is longer too. If the design was not sized for .45 ACP initially, then to produce one would require significant redesign of receivers, mags, etc.
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby Seismic Sam on Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:46 am

mnguy19 wrote:Thanks, I had no idea. Do you have any idea why the 40 is declining so fast? I thought that round was by many considered superior to the 45. Anyways, that's unfortunate. I still really like 9mm but it's tricky to find much out there for carbines in 40 or 45.

I've NEVER heard that ANYBODY ever considered the 40 Short & Weak superior to the 45 ACP. 9mm vs. 40 was debatable. Longevity and utility may have a lot to do with this. The 9mm is 115 years old. The .45 is 108 years old. The 40 S&W is only 27 years old, and it was a watered down design of the 10mm.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby VMAX97 on Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:00 pm

mnguy19 wrote:As I'm sure many of you on here are, I am a huge fan of the CZ Scorpion which as far as I know, only comes in 9mm at the moment. It's on my wish list regardless but I was wondering if anyone out there has heard any chatter as to whether or not CZ plans on making a version of the Scorpion in 40 or even 45acp. Like I said, I want one regardless but I'd rather hold off on the 9 if I knew they were going to be coming out with the other calibers. Let me know if any of you folks have heard anything about this. Also, if anyone has any alternative suggestions for a carbine in 40 or 45 I'm all ears. Don't want to splash the cash for a Vector to be honest and I don't care for the Beretta or Hi-Point stuff out there. Thanks everyone. Check out the link below if you want to check out the CZ scorpion, good review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqiEB-l5-Kc

I am looking at PCCs for USPSA shooting and would like your opinion on the Scorpion vs the Lone Wolf G9 or any others you might know about. I have watched the same youtube guy give his review and he likes both, I suspect he likes the scorpion more. The whole Glock mag thing is not a big deal for me, like the youtube guy said, the Scorpion mags cost less. -Thanks
VMAX97

Return to Long Guns