AR-15 Lower Decision

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Re: AR-15 Lower Decision

Postby grimbeaver on Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:37 am

Ghost wrote:
grimbeaver wrote:
Scratch wrote:No difference between a 40.00 forged Anderson and a 110.00 forged spikes. It's what you put in it and on it that makes the difference.

Not sure about Spikes but I disagree. My two Mega forged lower and upper sets fit together perfectly with zero slop while my Aero upper and lower I had to use the set screw to tighten up the fit and its still no where near the perfection of the Mega.

Scratch didn’t compare to Mega, his statement is generally accurate.

I say that as I typically build on Mega billet ambi sets and prefer them to anything that can be had easily, there still are tighter fitting options than those. My opinion is buy once cry once.

Scratch did not compare to Mega but seemed to be making a general statement about lower vs higher cost forged lowers. Also the Spikes is close in price to the Mega so I was assuming it may be in the same "class" as the Mega.
grimbeaver

Postby Scratch on Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:43 am

grimbeaver wrote:
Scratch wrote:No difference between a 40.00 forged Anderson and a 110.00 forged spikes. It's what you put in it and on it that makes the difference.

Scratch did not compare to Mega but seemed to be making a general statement about lower vs higher cost forged lowers. Also the Spikes is close in price to the Mega so I was assuming it may be in the same "class" as the Mega.

I am making that general statement.

I'm still waiting to see a major difference between lower cost or higher cost forged lowers.
On the uppers, the barrel nut to upper fittment I feel is pretty important, and I'd rather have the upper be a little tight so I could sand it down to fit, but on the lowers, the only thing I feel is important for accuracy, is the play between the upper and lower receivers. I have a friend out of state that builds custom rifles and he showed me that when putting together a rifle, he'll take whatever lower the customer wants, all brands, then if they don't have a preference on uppers, he'll pick and choose the upper that has the best fit. A few thousandths more or less of anodizing or cerakoting is all it takes. He's usually not concerned about color match since they usually ceracote the set, but he doesn't always find a set that fits well on the first try.

He said he'd rather just have them all over sized so he could just file them down for a custom fit, but his suppliers don't want to do that. Every company that sells lowers, has them that are a few thousandths over, and some that are under. I guess that's a good thing because every company that sells uppers has some that are a few thousandths over, and some that are under. It makes for less blems and for some perfect fits.

Yes, there are ambi features, extra flared magwells, grip serrations on magwells, cool looking stripes, cuts, or engravings, and those are worth paying extra if they're what you like. Buying a matched set of upper and lower receivers is just that... A hand matched set, picked from a bunch of non matched receivers, which is also worth paying extra for. Some companies may not put as much care into picking such a close set either. After all, it's just some random dude picking those parts and he wants to go home and watch Game of Thrones too.

Im just saying that buying a certain brand forged lower, and knowing that it will have a tighter fit is impossible without having both receivers in hand, so in my mind... They're all pretty much the same.

But again.... All this is ONLY if you're looking for match grade accuracy. If you're just looking for a reliable AR that is good for self defense, Varmints, SHTF, shooting at the range, plinking, truck gun, etc... The upper to lower fittment isn't going to affect it much.
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:40 am

ARs are going to get banned anyway and you will have to turn them all over to be chopped in half so I would go cheap so when they give you a $20 gas card for your turned in AR you will not be out too much ;)
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:27 am

Holland&Holland wrote:ARs are going to get banned anyway and you will have to turn them all over to be chopped in half so I would go cheap so when they give you a $20 gas card for your turned in AR you will not be out too much ;)

:lol:
Ghost

Postby OldmanFCSA on Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:15 pm

They will just cut the barrel and gas tube, SO EASY REPLACEMENT and resale after prices go up on Black Market.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:55 pm

OldmanFCSA wrote:They will just cut the barrel and gas tube, SO EASY REPLACEMENT and resale after prices go up on Black Market.

All the more reason to buy cheap, better margins when selling a $400 cheapy for $2500 than a $1500 for $2600.
Holland&Holland

Postby Bergie on Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:01 pm

I second the blem Aero Precision lowers- I think they're great and probably one of the best non-billet ones. Avoid PSA ones these days. Their quality has gone to sh*t.
Bergie

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:07 am

Bergie wrote:I second the blem Aero Precision lowers- I think they're great and probably one of the best non-billet ones. Avoid PSA ones these days. Their quality has gone to sh*t.

I like Aero as well but please share, what issues with PSA have you experienced?
Holland&Holland

Postby BigDog58 on Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:46 pm

I know this isn't the "Lower" but I decided to go with this upper. I like the Rifle Length Gas Port and flat top design. I will be shooting heavier projectiles so I went with 1:8 twist. That, will also allow for lighter if I decide to try them as well. I also wanted the longer barrel length.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/ar15-custom-upper-223wylde-18in-rifle-length-quad.html
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby FJ540 on Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:41 pm

So you picked the one handguard I've ever seen that has slots for heat to rise in front of the scope. :shock:
FJ540

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:38 pm

FJ540 wrote:So you picked the one handguard I've ever seen that has slots for heat to rise in front of the scope. :shock:

I can think of lots of options that allow this. Most bolt guns allow this as well. :twisted:
Holland&Holland

Postby BigDog58 on Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:36 am

Actually, it has a full length picatinny rail, which should mitigate some of the mirage from heat. If it becomes a problem, I'll use a mirage shield to deflect it around the scope view.
NRA RSO

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby Randygmn on Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:47 am

If it’s for precision target shooting only, why didn’t you go with a 20” barrel and wring out the last bit of velocity capability? And just beware, those Wylde chambers can be finicky with ammo. And yeah, I know it’s new and kind of expensive, but could’ve considered the 224 Valkyrie. A bit flatter out to distance.
Randygmn

Postby BigDog58 on Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:47 am

Randygmn wrote:If it’s for precision target shooting only, why didn’t you go with a 20” barrel and wring out the last bit of velocity capability? And just beware, those Wylde chambers can be finicky with ammo. And yeah, I know it’s new and kind of expensive, but could’ve considered the 224 Valkyrie. A bit flatter out to distance.

After running some theoretical data for my anticipated loads, I didn't see enough gain, by the added 2" of barrel. I still plan to try and tune a load for it, and see what it will do. I think, it's going to be fun, for shooting out to about 600 yds
NRA RSO

BigDog58

Postby FJ540 on Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:13 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
FJ540 wrote:So you picked the one handguard I've ever seen that has slots for heat to rise in front of the scope. :shock:

I can think of lots of options that allow this. Most bolt guns allow this as well. :twisted:

Yeah, but even a $300 shotgun doesn't. :P
FJ540

PreviousNext

Return to Long Guns