AR-15 Lower Decision

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

AR-15 Lower Decision

Postby BigDog58 on Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:51 am

I'm tinking of getting an AR-15 Lower, and wonder what you guys opinions are.

I would like to keep it low cost, but not a junk part.

Second, what parts kit would you suggest? Again, low cost, but not junk.

Links to your suggestions, would be most helpful.

Thanks
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Re: AR-15 Lower Decision

Postby Ghost on Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:17 am

Anderson lower

Cheapest parts kit you can find (midwayUSA without trigger)

LaRue MBT-2S trigger (currently on sale for $99)
Last edited by Ghost on Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ghost

Postby Scratch on Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:27 am

Unless you're looking for certain features like extra flared mag well, threaded takedown pin holes, certain ambi controls, unique aesthetics, (in which case pick a billet one) just make sure it's a mil spec forged lower and it'll be fine. No difference between a 40.00 forged Anderson and a 110.00 forged spikes. It's what you put in it and on it that makes the difference.

I have an AR that shoots .435 MOA groups at 100 yards on average and its on a 29.00 Anderson upper and lower. I do like some, like the Aero lowers, that have the upper to lower tension screw already drilled and tapped though, although that can be done yourself like I did.

I'm sure others will disagree with me, but that's my .02
Last edited by Scratch on Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby Ghost on Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:33 am

Scratch wrote:Unless you're looking for certain features like extra flared mag well, threaded takedown pin holes, certain ambi controls, unique aesthetics, (in which case pick a billet one) just make sure it's a mil spec forged lower and it'll be fine. No difference between a 40.00 Anderson and a 110.00 spikes. It's what you put in it and on it that makes the difference.

I have an AR that shoots .435 MOA groups at 100 yards on average and its on a 29.00 Anderson lower. I do like some, like the Aero lowers, that have the upper to lower tension screw already drilled and tapped though, although that can be done yourself like I did.

I'm sure others will disagree with me, but that's my .02

I meant Anderson, was barely awake and put aero. Corrected it.
Ghost

Postby yukonjasper on Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:50 am

Palmetto State armory has some deals. I'm no expert but complete lowers for $139. Uppers on sale also. I am tempted but already own a Lower. Paired it with the Grendel upper.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:36 am

As stated Anderson is about as cheap as you can find locally, so no transfer cost. I have built a couple on Anderson and they have been plenty accurate for my needs. I also have used Palmetto states and no issues there. That said, if I am looking for a bit higher quality I usually look at Aero Precision.

The lower, I think is really farther down the list on the items of importance. I would start with a quality barrel.
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:50 am

Holland&Holland wrote:As stated Anderson is about as cheap as you can find locally, so no transfer cost. I have built a couple on Anderson and they have been plenty accurate for my needs. I also have used Palmetto states and no issues there. That said, if I am looking for a bit higher quality I usually look at Aero Precision.

The lower, I think is really farther down the list on the items of importance. I would start with a quality barrel.

Good point, what is the final intent of this? Buy an upper? Build? Already have?
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:55 am

Same comment for parts kits. I always buy parts kits without a trigger and without any furniture. Really it is just some springs, pins and such. Spend more money on a quality trigger, you will be happy you did. Match your trigger to your needs. I have a 2 stage Timmeny that is my absolute favorite for precision shooting but that is somewhat personal taste too.
Holland&Holland

Postby Bearcatrp on Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:16 am

Look for blem aero lowers. Last 2 I purchased were $49.99. Working great on my 300BO's.
Bearcatrp

Postby Scratch on Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:37 am

Good tip on blems. I've had hundreds of blems come across my table, and I inspect each one. I've found only two were what I consider truly a blem, and they were both purely cosmetic. Most of them I couldn't find the blemish.

Also agree on getting parts kits minus the trigger. Save the money on the basic springs and pins, and invest it in a good trigger.

It sounds like this might be your first AR, and you might be getting one just to have one and see how much you like them. Probably just for general plinking and range use...? The choices are overwhelming and whatever you buy will probably be just fine for that. I think it's pretty hard to screw up an AR nowadays if you use quality parts. Don't get hung up on trying to find the perfect rifle, it's stupid easy to change out anything in the future.

If you want good accuracy, spend money on barrel, bolt and trigger. The rest is just comfort and aesthetics.
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby Uffdaphil on Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:46 am

I like the SOLGW parts kit w/o trigger and grip - $37
https://sonsoflibertygunworks.com/produ ... 3083616065

Mega Gator forged lowers for me - about $120. Atomic usually has them. Billet lowers are more $$$, but are easier to build with the screw-in bolt release and built-in trigger guard.

Some cheaper lowers are gtg, but make for harder resale/trade of a complete rifle.
NRA Endowment Member
Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Viet Nam Veteran
High Information Voter
Uffdaphil

Postby INOR on Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:23 am

I only have experience so far with two lowers. One was an Anderson and it went together perfectly. That was my first lower build and put it together with some basic milspec lower parts kit and buffer tube parts that I picked up from Brownell's, I believe. And put the pistol grip and stock from my S&W M&P Sport II on it since I had those laying around as take-offs. Then mated that up to a NIB DPMS Oracle pre-built upper that I bought from a forum member here. Shoots great and is a nice basic AR. I'd be happy to build another using an Anderson lower again.

The second lower I bought was a PSA safe/fire blem and it was definitely blem for a reason. Had a couple of different issues with that one. Magazine well was way too tight. Couldn't even get it on my AR vice block without hitting it with a mallet. That should have been where I stopped and sent it back but I didn't. Kept trying to build the lower figuring the mag well would just "wear in" eventually. Then had an issue where the bolt catch detent didn't fit in the hole correctly. It got jammed in there and was so tight the spring was fully compressed and the detent wouldn't move. But, called PSA and then sent me a warranty ticket and I sent it in. They replaced the lower, which sadly is still sitting in the safe. I need to get back to building that one and see how the replaced lower is. Hopefully this one will be fine.
INOR

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:22 pm

This thread reminds me, I have a lower at home with all the parts I need to start another build. Looks like I know what I will be doing this evening :D
Holland&Holland

Postby wasfuzz on Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:02 pm

Come see me in March at the Wells Show and I will introduce you to a couple of vendors who will set you up! ;)
ONE* Training LLC - Mapleton, MN
Offering Training in;
NRA Basic Pistol
MN DPS/ BCA Approved Conceal Carry
WI,IA Conceal Carry
NRA LE Firearms Instructor & LEO HR 218 Training
MN DNR Hunter Safety
ASP Expandable Baton
wasfuzz

Postby prushin on Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:17 pm

Or, you could see if OldmanFCSA would be willing to teach you how to use a mill and run out a 0% upper for about $30 and make it whatever you wish.
prushin

Next

Return to Long Guns