AR-15 Lower Decision

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Re: AR-15 Lower Decision

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:58 pm

prushin wrote:Or, you could see if OldmanFCSA would be willing to teach you how to use a mill and run out a 0% upper for about $30 and make it whatever you wish.

What is a 0% upper? one where you mine the aluminum yourself?

He is looking for a lower anyway.
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:33 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
prushin wrote:Or, you could see if OldmanFCSA would be willing to teach you how to use a mill and run out a 0% upper for about $30 and make it whatever you wish.

What is a 0% upper? one where you mine the aluminum yourself?

He is looking for a lower anyway.

0% to me would be a block of aluminum

-50% is when you mine it
Ghost

Postby Randygmn on Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:31 am

BigDog- you haven’t chimed back in, so I’m not sure what you are intending with the build. Also- if you already have lots of parts laying around that you’ll be using. And, if you have all the necessary tools to build one. I know you work on handguns :D , but...... if you don’t have the tools or parts and this will be a one off for you, you should just consider buying a manufactured rifle instead. AR’s are dirt cheap right now and most importantly, come with a warranty. If you’re gonna spend $100 on tools that you’ll never use again, you’re already behind the curve on rifles that can be bought for under $600. Just something to consider.
Randygmn

Postby hammAR on Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:25 am

Seems to me that he has a 0% upper and lower right now...................... :busy:
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby yukonjasper on Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:26 pm

^^^^^ :lol:
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Ghost on Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:07 pm

Still waiting to hear what the plans are. Maybe he's too busy though, out mining or something.
Ghost

Postby OldmanFCSA on Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:20 pm

I've offered him a COMPLETE lower at my cost of $100 plus transfer.
This will be a strong made poly lower like I use on my 7.62X39 upper.
Hiis choice now.
I also offered a CNMG lower parts kit for $50 and a partial kit (less trigger parts) for free.
These are without buttstock, tbe & nut, spring, and buffer.
I do have buttstock, spring, buffer, barrel nut, handguards, and removable rear sight for CHEAP.
I've been dealing with F-BOMB for parts and gunsmith lately.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:41 pm

Randygmn wrote:BigDog- you haven’t chimed back in, so I’m not sure what you are intending with the build. Also- if you already have lots of parts laying around that you’ll be using. And, if you have all the necessary tools to build one. I know you work on handguns :D , but...... if you don’t have the tools or parts and this will be a one off for you, you should just consider buying a manufactured rifle instead. AR’s are dirt cheap right now and most importantly, come with a warranty. If you’re gonna spend $100 on tools that you’ll never use again, you’re already behind the curve on rifles that can be bought for under $600. Just something to consider.

Never use again????? Not sure how that works.

I found a roll pin on my work bench once and needed to build another.
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:45 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
Randygmn wrote:BigDog- you haven’t chimed back in, so I’m not sure what you are intending with the build. Also- if you already have lots of parts laying around that you’ll be using. And, if you have all the necessary tools to build one. I know you work on handguns :D , but...... if you don’t have the tools or parts and this will be a one off for you, you should just consider buying a manufactured rifle instead. AR’s are dirt cheap right now and most importantly, come with a warranty. If you’re gonna spend $100 on tools that you’ll never use again, you’re already behind the curve on rifles that can be bought for under $600. Just something to consider.

They tend to breed like rats at my house
Ghost

Postby FJ540 on Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:12 pm

Ghost wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:

They tend to breed like rats at my house

Rats accuse my AR's of being Catholic. :mrgreen:
FJ540

Postby BigDog58 on Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:44 pm

Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions. I am going to look at OldmanFCSA's offer and then try to decide. My main reason for thinking of an AR is for some target shooting (in a smaller caliber) and it will be a home defense. Of all the guns I've owned over the years, I've never owned an AR-15.

Another thought, is that considering the new rampages by the Anti-AR groups, it might be wise to at least have a lower, and possibly an entire gun on hand, just in case these groups get their wish. I have several parts already, but no Lower.

If I had not already commited funds to a new Rear Ransom Rest, I would have simply gone out and purchased a ready built AR. I believe I have most of the tools I'll need to build the AR, once I have the parts together. If I decide to build, I'll build the lower, and most likely, purchase a built upper.

Thanks Again Everyone.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby grimbeaver on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:51 pm

Scratch wrote:No difference between a 40.00 forged Anderson and a 110.00 forged spikes. It's what you put in it and on it that makes the difference.

Not sure about Spikes but I disagree. My two Mega forged lower and upper sets fit together perfectly with zero slop while my Aero upper and lower I had to use the set screw to tighten up the fit and its still no where near the perfection of the Mega.
grimbeaver

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:53 pm

You might want to look up that guy in NY, he will have and upper and lower to sell to pay for his legal defense fund. Contact info can be found through MSN and CNN. :twisted:
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:02 pm

grimbeaver wrote:
Scratch wrote:No difference between a 40.00 forged Anderson and a 110.00 forged spikes. It's what you put in it and on it that makes the difference.

Not sure about Spikes but I disagree. My two Mega forged lower and upper sets fit together perfectly with zero slop while my Aero upper and lower I had to use the set screw to tighten up the fit and its still no where near the perfection of the Mega.

Scratch didn’t compare to Mega, his statement is generally accurate.

I say that as I typically build on Mega billet ambi sets and prefer them to anything that can be had easily, there still are tighter fitting options than those. My opinion is buy once cry once.
Ghost

Postby yukonjasper on Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:23 pm

My blem complete lower from PSA fit my Aero Precision upper perfectly - no slop. I think I got the Complete lower for pretty inexpensive.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

PreviousNext

Return to Long Guns