Entry Level Semi-Auto Shotgun?

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Postby sprigfan on Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:32 pm

I want to get into clay shooting and would like to buy an entry level (inexpensive) semi-auto shotgun. I'm thinking a Mossberg 930, Weatherby SA-08 or Remington V3. Since I have never shot clays before, I don't want to spend $1,000+ on a shotgun right off the bat.

I would also like the option of easily swapping to a shorter barrel for possible turkey and/or deer hunting. This is where the problem with the V3 and SA-08 comes in. Replacement barrels seem to be hard to come by, while Mossbergs are readily available.

Anyone have any advice? Are there any other shotguns in this price range that I should be looking at?
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
sprigfan

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:34 pm

Not my area of expertise, but Beretta A300 looks like a nice entry level gun. Not sure on availability of extra barrels for it, but they will cost more than Mossberg for sure.

I bought a well used Stoeger 2000 off this forum few years back. That was more of an entry level (cheap) semi-auto :). Not a bad gun but took some tweaking after I replaced the springs.
gun_fan111v2

Re: Entry Level Semi-Auto Shotgun?

Postby 870TC on Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:57 pm

930 is a good gun extra short bbls are $215 usually. Never tried the v3, have shot tons (literally) of ammo through Remington 1100-1187's- they are an option often available used for $300-500, keep them clean and they work fine... they are abit heavy.
870TC

Postby goalie on Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:01 pm

I bought a Winchester SX3 for around 600 bucks with a rebate last year. It's amazing. You can adjust the fit, and it's reliable with Estate target loads.

Mine was cheap at Sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com because they had a duck hunting camo pattern on a standard 3" one, and apparently all the duck hunters want 3.5" so it wasn't selling.
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby sprigfan on Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:17 am

Thanks guys.
sprigfan

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:23 am

My son had good luck with his stoeger. Ate everything he fed it and shot 3 years of High school trap with it. Not one issue.
Holland&Holland

Postby rtk on Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:18 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:My son had good luck with his stoeger. Ate everything he fed it and shot 3 years of High school trap with it. Not one issue.

+ 1
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby UnaStamus on Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:27 pm

When I worked for Gander Mtn back in the day, we had a lot of die hard Stoeger owners. Inexpensive guns that ate anything they were fed.
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

Postby Jack's My dog on Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:36 pm

Purchased a Franchi Affinity this year and have had a 712 for 12-13 years that served me well. Same family as Steoger and Benelli. Maybe worth a look.
Jack's My dog

Postby Ghost on Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:47 pm

Why not see if you like it with a pump first?
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:11 pm

Ghost wrote:Why not see if you like it with a pump first?

While I have seen some good pump shooters who can smoke many folks on a clays course, an auto or an over-under definitely are nice for doubles.
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:24 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
Ghost wrote:Why not see if you like it with a pump first?

While I have seen some good pump shooters who can smoke many folks on a clays course, an auto or an over-under definitely are nice for doubles.

The SXP makes the top 10 list of clays guns @479.99 based on the article I read. I have an A400 and would probably go over under if I ever chose to buy something else in that realm.
Ghost

Postby Amazi on Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:26 pm

I got my benelli m1 for about 800ish used. Right now might be a hard time finding one of those. As they say everything is an assault full auto banana extended clip horrific killing machine rifle.
Depends where you live look around at used guns in stores.
If only bought two used guns and had issues, Springfield delivered with flying colors on the repair and I was able to return the kahr.
Amazi

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:24 am

Amazi wrote:I got my benelli m1 for about 800ish used. Right now might be a hard time finding one of those. As they say everything is an assault full auto banana extended clip horrific killing machine rifle.
Depends where you live look around at used guns in stores.
If only bought two used guns and had issues, Springfield delivered with flying colors on the repair and I was able to return the kahr.

I love my benelli but would not consider it an entry level.
Holland&Holland

Postby sprigfan on Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:20 am

Thanks again guys. I appreciate all the responses.

A Benelli is definitely out of the price range that I'm looking at, especially $800 used. I'm trying to stay under $500, which is definitely doable.

I sent an email to Remington about replacement barrels for the V3. If they ever get back to me, I bet they say they just aren't available yet. I don't understand why you would release a gun and not have parts available for it. I don't even see the V3 as an option under the parts section of their website. I guess that's what you should expect from a company going through bankruptcy.
sprigfan

Next

Return to Long Guns