Entry Level Semi-Auto Shotgun?

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Re: Entry Level Semi-Auto Shotgun?

Postby mmcnx2 on Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:43 pm

Look at a CZ, MSRP is under $700 and retail is much better.
mmcnx2

Postby sprigfan on Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:35 pm

Remington confirmed they do not offer replacement barrels at all for the V3.

It looks to me like the Mossberg is the most versatile semi-auto out there with all of their aftermarket barrels (at the price point I'm looking at anyway). I'm going to go with the 930.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
sprigfan

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:38 pm

sprigfan wrote:Remington confirmed they do not offer replacement barrels at all for the V3.

It looks to me like the Mossberg is the most versatile semi-auto out there with all of their aftermarket barrels (at the price point I'm looking at anyway). I'm going to go with the 930.

About what do they run cost wise?
Holland&Holland

Postby sprigfan on Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:46 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
sprigfan wrote:Remington confirmed they do not offer replacement barrels at all for the V3.

930's? They are currently running about $425 online. Just a month ago Buds had them at $350. Really kicking myself for not buying then.
sprigfan

Postby sprigfan on Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:54 pm

It's amazimg how much the prices vary depending on where you look.

Grabagun has the V3 right now for $499, which is an amazing price compared to everywhere else I have seen.
sprigfan

Postby 2in2out on Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:43 pm

I'd always call Southwest Arms before deciding I could get it cheaper somewhere else. Jan and John have always been very good to me.

Depending on location, I'm sure there are other good recommendations, as well.
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:44 pm

sprigfan wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:

930's? They are currently running about $425 online. Just a month ago Buds had them at $350. Really kicking myself for not buying then.

$350 for an auto, yea that is a deal.
Holland&Holland

Postby LumberZach on Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:55 pm

Having never shot one before, I recommend the mossberg 930. From everything I can read online, it seems like the most solid gun for the money. I’ll own one eventually, just haven’t made it that far yet. Call or email southwest and they will set you up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LumberZach

Postby smurfman on Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:22 am

A Remington 1100 or 11/87 wold be my suggestion. I would buy used as I don't like to take the hit on deprecation and there were so many sold that new looking samples are easily found. They are well proven, fairly inexpensive, easily cared for, parts- if needed- are readily and in expensively found, and extra barrels are also widespread and inexpensive. With a little patience and some looking one can buy a very clean used 1100 and extra barrel for what a new Mossberg 930 with extra barrel will run.

I have owned several 1100s and 11/87s and they are hard to beat for someone looking for a reliable gun for a reasonable price. if there is no likelihood of needing 3" shells I would go with the 1100 as the 2 3/4" versions have been more reliable with target loads as they gun got dirty than the 11/87 with their "all around" system utilizing 3" capability.

I have experience with the Mossberg 930 too, I have three of them at the moment. The one with the highest round count is just over 1000 rounds by me and an unknown number of rounds by the previous owner though observation upon buying showed very little use. It has not had an issue but it's use has been mainly in warm weather using fairly stout loads of bird shot, Buck shot, and slugs.

The wood stocked gun and the cameo one have maybe 500 rounds through each. The woodstoked gun has not had a hiccup yet but with 300-400 shotshells through it and then another 100 or so slugs when I switched it to my slug gun is not enough to make a determination on reliability.

The Camo gun has been my problem child. It has a few hundred rounds through it with most showing no problems over the summer and early fall. I later used it during a pheasant hunt where temps were below zero and the gun became a single shot. I took it down and cleaned it using Break free, STOS, and Mobile One as lubes to no avail. I also tried different ammo with the same results. A Browning Gold 3.5" model was my back up and it worked just fine with everything the Mossberg puked on. I had just the one Mossberg with so have no idea if it was unique to that one gun or systemic to them all.

Another concern I have with the Mossberg is they seem to quickly lose interest and support in their semi-autos. The 1000, 5500 MkI and MK II, and 9200 quickly came and went though for good reason in the latter models. I think there were a couple models between the 9200 and the 930 but don't remember as it would have been fleeting. The 930 seems to be the longest they have held onto a semiauto but that makes me wonder how long they will keep it.

My personal preference would be a Beretta 390 or 391 as they pretty much set the bar that other sporting clays semiautos have to match. As they are a couple generations old they can be found fairly reasonable. Their drawback is extra barrels are not easily found and can be pricey if available. I or members of my family have been using them since 1995 and are what I compare other guns to.
smurfman

Postby Amazi on Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:33 pm

I always though of my benelli m1 as an entry level shotgun haha
Amazi

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:35 pm

Amazi wrote:I always though of my benelli m1 as an entry level shotgun haha

Benelli does not make entry level.
Holland&Holland

Postby Amazi on Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:16 am

Holland&Holland wrote:

What? they do make cheap shotguns.....
Amazi

Postby Ghost on Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:33 am

Amazi wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:

Beretta > Benelli
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:02 am

Amazi wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:

Not compared to their competitors.
Holland&Holland

Postby Amazi on Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:48 pm

400$ for a pump that's basically about what the rest go for in the low end that if seen other then maverick
Amazi

PreviousNext

Return to Long Guns