Savage msr 224 valkyrie

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Re: Savage msr 224 valkyrie

Postby Ghost on Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:34 am

xd ED wrote:
Ghost wrote:The 1300 velocity was with a 24”. Guess you only get 1200 with the 20”. Wonder whose barrel it was? Do we even know if it was an AR?

Almost exactly a year ago, while doing some seasonal work day tasks at the range, I spotted my first LabRadar in use.
During a break, I approached the shooters using it; a couple of guys who worked for Federal testing a new cartridge.
I was a bit pressed for time, and more interested in the LabRadar than the particulars of cartridge, but from what I recall of the description it was probably the .224 Valkyrie.
I believe they were using a JP bolt action rifle at the time, shooting sub-minute groups at 1000.

Small world eh? So that’s likely a bolt gun stat.

Although in reading some about this I see people claim they are getting close to 2700 fps with 20” JP’s. I may need to get a labradar for when I get mine running.
Ghost

Postby Jackpine Savage on Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:00 am

I was planning on doing a Valkyrie AR build this year for PRS style matches, so I've been trying to keep up on what's happening.

I ran across this over on Snipershide. Someone had a barrel on order and received this from JP.

"Dear JP customer,

If you are receiving this email, it means your current order for one of our JP Supermatch™ barrels in .224 Valkyrie is eligible for fulfilment in our first production run. But, because of the unforeseen complications of developing barrels for a brand new caliber like this, we wanted to contact you before completing your order.

After final testing of these barrels, we have discovered that accuracy specific to 90gr. Sierra Match King and the 90gr. Fusion hunting ammo is only mediocre. These results are not up to the JP standard, and as such, we cannot honor our accuracy guarantee with this 90gr. ammunition.

However, the Federal varmint load using the 60gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip and our personal test loads using 77gr. Sierra Tipped Match Kings shot well from these barrels. With the 77gr. Tipped Match Kings, we achieved maximum velocities in the 3000 ft/s range. This compromise of utilizing lighter projectiles with much higher MV and slightly lower BC may actually result in higher hit probabilities within the effective range of the cartridge. This is particularly the case with unknown distance targets.

At this point, we want to offer you the choice of confirming your order and receiving one of these first JP .224 Valkyrie barrels. Alternately, you may opt to wait for our next run of barrels with further design changes to improve the performance of the 90gr. bullets. The choice comes down to your choice of application and ammo.

Please respond to this email with your preference.

If you choose to wait, your order will still be fulfilled in the order it was received as soon as the new barrels arrive and are tested. If you choose to wait, we expect to ship your order sometime in May.

Sincerely,

JP Customer service team"
Jackpine Savage

Postby Ghost on Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:07 am

Jackpine Savage wrote:I was planning on doing a Valkyrie AR build this year for PRS style matches, so I've been trying to keep up on what's happening.

I ran across this over on Snipershide. Someone had a barrel on order and received this from JP.

"Dear JP customer,

If you are receiving this email, it means your current order for one of our JP Supermatch™ barrels in .224 Valkyrie is eligible for fulfilment in our first production run. But, because of the unforeseen complications of developing barrels for a brand new caliber like this, we wanted to contact you before completing your order.

After final testing of these barrels, we have discovered that accuracy specific to 90gr. Sierra Match King and the 90gr. Fusion hunting ammo is only mediocre. These results are not up to the JP standard, and as such, we cannot honor our accuracy guarantee with this 90gr. ammunition.

However, the Federal varmint load using the 60gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip and our personal test loads using 77gr. Sierra Tipped Match Kings shot well from these barrels. With the 77gr. Tipped Match Kings, we achieved maximum velocities in the 3000 ft/s range. This compromise of utilizing lighter projectiles with much higher MV and slightly lower BC may actually result in higher hit probabilities within the effective range of the cartridge. This is particularly the case with unknown distance targets.

At this point, we want to offer you the choice of confirming your order and receiving one of these first JP .224 Valkyrie barrels. Alternately, you may opt to wait for our next run of barrels with further design changes to improve the performance of the 90gr. bullets. The choice comes down to your choice of application and ammo.

Please respond to this email with your preference.

If you choose to wait, your order will still be fulfilled in the order it was received as soon as the new barrels arrive and are tested. If you choose to wait, we expect to ship your order sometime in May.

Sincerely,

JP Customer service team"

:o
Ghost

Postby BC98 on Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:47 am

xd ED wrote: Almost exactly a year ago, while doing some seasonal work day tasks at the range, I spotted my first LabRadar in use.
During a break, I approached the shooters using it; a couple of guys who worked for Federal testing a new cartridge.
I was a bit pressed for time, and more interested in the LabRadar than the particulars of cartridge, but from what I recall of the description it was probably the .224 Valkyrie.
I believe they were using a JP bolt action rifle at the time, shooting sub-minute groups at 1000.

JP has not made a bolt gun in 224 Valkyrie. You likely saw one of the side-charging uppers that they have. I have seen several online reviews and videos of the JP guns and velocity from early runs of ammo was measured between 2650 and 2700fps out of a 20" barrel from a gas gun.
BC98

Postby Ghost on Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:45 pm

LaRue has said federal had no issues shooting 90’s in his barrels. What twist is JP using?
Ghost

Postby BC98 on Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:55 pm

1:7 twist for JP barrels.
BC98

Postby Ghost on Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:13 pm

BC98 wrote:1:7 twist for JP barrels.

So the same then. Odd.
Ghost

Postby BC98 on Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:34 pm

Ghost wrote:
BC98 wrote:1:7 twist for JP barrels.

So the same then. Odd.

Whatever issue they're are seeing is likely not related to twist.

Accuracy shown with the demo guns and factory 90gr GM rounds that have been featured in social media was very good.
BC98

Postby Bearcatrp on Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:04 pm

Watch this from military arms channel on the Valkyrie. Btw, if you can afford it, get a labradar. I have #0004. I love this chrono. Almost bought a regular chrono but saw information on this and waited until they released it. You will never go back to a standard chrono after using this. Worth every penny!
I think I read JP will be making a 1:6 or 1:6.5 barrel from reading other threads

Oops, forgot to post link
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff54rCQQq-I
Last edited by Bearcatrp on Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bearcatrp

Postby BC98 on Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:25 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:I think I read JP will be making a 1:6 or 1:6.5 barrel from reading other threads

Interesting. I think I read that they had tried 1:6, 1:6.5, and 1:7 twists and saw similar performance.
BC98

Postby Amazi on Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:56 pm

What the crap mag was did to 3 rounds caught the 3rd.
Attachments
20180322_195628.jpg
Amazi

Postby Ghost on Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:03 pm

Put the Valkyrie together. Needs oiled and a scope.

Ghost

Postby Ghost on Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:03 pm

Amazi wrote:What the crap mag was did to 3 rounds caught the 3rd.

Not sure what you are asking
Ghost

Postby Amazi on Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:56 pm

didn't ask a question.... just showing what junk mags do is all. First time I've ever seen a primer blowout, and a mag do that to the bullet on feeding.
Amazi

Postby BC98 on Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:17 pm

Amazi wrote:didn't ask a question.... just showing what junk mags do is all. First time I've ever seen a primer blowout, and a mag do that to the bullet on feeding.

Primers typically blow out under high pressure conditions, either a tight chamber or higher powder charge (or a combination of both). Unless the neck tension on the case is very low, you shouldn't get bullet setback like you're showing. I don't know that a mag would cause either of those conditions.
BC98

PreviousNext

Return to Long Guns