Suggestions for parts - 308 AR build

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Re: Suggestions for parts - 308 AR build

Postby Ghost on Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:19 am

xd ED wrote:
BigBlue wrote:<<<snipped>>>

Good looking rifle.
Interesting art work.
Can you elaborate on the designs, colors, techniques, source, etc.
I'm not usually fan of such things but this rifle is the exception.

And that wall presents an interesting background, in and of itself...hope it stays put for a good, long while.
Excellent photo.

I believe that's the defected tungsten from
https://www.commercialhydrographics.com/
Ghost

Postby BigBlue on Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:00 pm

Question on stocks:

With a rifle buffer tube can you still use a 'carbine' type stock like a Magpul CTR?
BigBlue

Postby BigBlue on Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:12 pm

xd ED wrote:
BigBlue wrote:<<<snipped>>>

Good looking rifle.
Interesting art work.
Can you elaborate on the designs, colors, techniques, source, etc.
I'm not usually fan of such things but this rifle is the exception.

And that wall presents an interesting background, in and of itself...hope it stays put for a good, long while.
Excellent photo.

I can't take credit for the photo or wall. That's the promo photo from Aero for this builder set of components (actually, for a rifle giveaway they did last month with them).

Ghost is correct on the finish. Called 'defected tungsten' and put on via hydrographics. I have it in hand now and it looks like a very high quality finish.

I've been looking for a reason to get an AR308 for a long time (no, you don't really need a reason for getting a gun, but I do need a reason to justify the giant chunk of change out of my budget) and this look was the tipping point for pushing me over the edge. I had recently seen a beautiful Daniel Defense AR308 in desert camo that was very tempting, but at about 3 grand was far past the budget. That got me to looking further for something similar. I was looking for a completed upper and lower in a similar style: flat top, long M-Loc handguard, stainless & fluted barrel. Then I found this upper/lower/handguard set at Aero and decided I'd take the plunge and build it all myself. I know it likely won't be as perfect as a DD and definitely not 'cheap' but it will be what I want and will serve the functions I want it for. Which include: general fun shooting, possible coyote or hog hunting, maybe deer hunting, and just "suck it gun grabbers, I just put added another AR to the world".

BB
BigBlue

Postby BigBlue on Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:13 pm

Here's a close-up of the finish:

BigBlue

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:36 pm

BigBlue wrote:Question on stocks:

With a rifle buffer tube can you still use a 'carbine' type stock like a Magpul CTR?

No, you need a carbine tube, spring, and buffer. You also need to know if it is commercial or milspec.
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:46 pm

BigBlue wrote:Here's a close-up of the finish:

Looking forward to seeing the completed rifle.
Ghost

Postby BigBlue on Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:06 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
BigBlue wrote:Question on stocks:

No, you need a carbine tube, spring, and buffer. You also need to know if it is commercial or milspec.

Thanks. So much to learn.

I'll be getting Aero's mil-spec carbine buffer then. Will have to look for a mil-spec carbine-capable stock. The CTR is a good candidate but there is a Luth-AR MBA-3 with adjustable cheek piece that may be good.
BigBlue

Postby grimbeaver on Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:51 am

BigBlue wrote:I'll be getting Aero's mil-spec carbine buffer then. Will have to look for a mil-spec carbine-capable stock. The CTR is a good candidate but there is a Luth-AR MBA-3 with adjustable cheek piece that may be good.

I have both those. The MBA-3 is obviously heavier. The other thing is the MBA-3 has a set screw to tighten it down. On a mil-spec tube you have to tighten it down, in theory with a commercial tube you do not. The allen wrench for it stores in the stock but it's clipped in too good and a pain to take out. So if you are going carbine to be able to adjust length regularly I would suggest avoiding the MBA-3 or get a commercial size tube.
grimbeaver

Postby BigBlue on Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:35 am

grimbeaver wrote:I have both those. The MBA-3 is obviously heavier. The other thing is the MBA-3 has a set screw to tighten it down. On a mil-spec tube you have to tighten it down, in theory with a commercial tube you do not. The allen wrench for it stores in the stock but it's clipped in too good and a pain to take out. So if you are going carbine to be able to adjust length regularly I would suggest avoiding the MBA-3 or get a commercial size tube.

Thanks for the insight.
BigBlue

Postby BigBlue on Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:54 pm

One week on and I think I've learned a lot about the topic of AR308 builds. Getting the upper/lower/hanguard in front of me to touch and examine was helpful in understanding some things. Info here was informative. Watching Youtube videos showed me how easy it is to install a barrel and gas system. At this point I've changed my mind about taking the upper and barrel to a gunsmith for the barrel/gas install and will be tackling it myself. Good YT videos out there about installing the various lower parts (and reminding me that I've already removed and installed most of them except the mag release).

Got all the parts picked out and ordered now. Only thing I'm holding off on is a trigger. Just getting a standard mil-spec trigger with the lower parts kit for now. Budget needs to take a breather before dropping another couple hundred on a great one. Optics will also wait, though I have a simple red dot I can put on to get things started.

Turns out I went with most things from Aero Precision's line. That way I know they are good stuff and will work together.

In a week or two I should have most of the stuff in and together and then I'll put up a picture of the project.

BB
BigBlue

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:07 am

Good for you.

Now welcome to your new addiction :twisted:
Holland&Holland

Postby Bearcatrp on Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:15 am

If you can, post pics as you build. Have always purchased a complete upper, the built the rest. Cost a bit more but it always work. But would like to build one from scratch. Am thinking a 6.5 CM if I do.
Bearcatrp

Postby OldmanFCSA on Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:37 am

Are you building an AR-10 or a LR308 ?
OldmanFCSA

Postby BigBlue on Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:56 am

Holland&Holland wrote:Good for you.

Now welcome to your new addiction :twisted:

I can see how it could become one. I think my budget will keep that in check though. :-)
BigBlue

Postby BigBlue on Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:56 am

Bearcatrp wrote:If you can, post pics as you build. Have always purchased a complete upper, the built the rest. Cost a bit more but it always work. But would like to build one from scratch. Am thinking a 6.5 CM if I do.

Good idea. I can try to do that...
BigBlue

PreviousNext

Return to Long Guns