Building an Aero Precision 308 from parts

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Re: Building an Aero Precision 308 from parts

Postby Ghost on Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:55 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
striped1 wrote:without rockset or other higher temp thread locker it will loosen up upon firing. I use precision shims, not crush washers especially if I am going to mount a suppressor.

What did you torque them to? I had one with a peel washer at 25 lbs that shot loose, I repeel washered it and went to 30 lbs and it has not let loose again.

Proper torque should be enough to hold a muzzle device on but if it’s a suppressor attachment then I would definitely use rocksett. If you have rocksett you should always use rocksett.
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:34 pm

Have not jumped into the suppressor world yet so would not know about that.

I have heard that rocksett is near impossible to remove once used. That scares me to be honest.
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:58 am

Holland&Holland wrote:Have not jumped into the suppressor world yet so would not know about that.

I have heard that rocksett is near impossible to remove once used. That scares me to be honest.

Stick it in boiling water for 10 minutes and it should come right off.
Ghost

Postby BigBlue on Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:55 am

Follow-up on the muzzle device:

AP sent me a couple spare crush washers so last night I decided to try it again. I paid attention to making sure that the armorer's wrench did not cover the washer. My theory is that this was what caused the oval deformation last time. I think I was right... that led to it deforming more uniformly (round). Still seemed to squish out a bit more in some places than others but that's probably just the nature of things.

I set the torque wrench for 25 ft-lbs with hope of it going off with something less than 180* of clocking required. I would then have felt comfortable finishing the clocking without way over-torquing. I reached the correct clocking before the 25 ft-lbs, but I could tell it was getting tight. The barrel (clamped in no-mar vice jaws) was starting to try to rotate in the vice. Again I felt there was no way I was going to get another full rotation done so I just left it. I used anti-seize as per AP's instructions. I did not use threadlocker. I'm going to call this good until/unless I find that it works loose in the future.

BB
BigBlue

Postby Ghost on Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:58 am

Looking forward to hearing how it performs. Also curious to see if it loosens.
Ghost

Postby BigBlue on Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:36 am

The LaRue trigger arrived recently too. I'm going to shoot the rifle with the AP trigger for a while to get a good feel for it before swapping the LaRue in.

BB
BigBlue

Postby Bergie on Wed May 30, 2018 4:29 am

Well laid out images and description. I built mine last year and the Aero parts went together really well. I also waited until much of the M5E1 stuff popped up on the "blemished" category so it was even less. I put a Vortex Strike Eagle on top and am really pleased with it. Took it deer hunting last fall over my Tikka stainless bolt '06......how weird is that. It's heavy though. I was surprised at how much more weight it has over a 556. My prediction is that you won't stop there! It's addictive,
Bergie

Previous

Return to Long Guns