.458 SOCOM build opinions

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Re: .458 SOCOM build opinions

Postby Bearcatrp on Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:58 pm

Thanks folks. Since I already have a 338LM bolt, did look into the 338 federal. 458 is looking better each time I read about it though. What upper is needed? Would think that big of a caliber requires larger than a AR10 upper.
Bearcatrp
 
Posts: 1936 [View]
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:57 pm

Re: .458 SOCOM build opinions

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:10 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:Thanks folks. Since I already have a 338LM bolt, did look into the 338 federal. 458 is looking better each time I read about it though. What upper is needed? Would think that big of a caliber requires larger than a AR10 upper.

No, that is the beauty of it. It is an ar15 upper and lower, just change the bolt, barrel and mag.
User avatar
Holland&Holland
 
Posts: 8407 [View]
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:17 am

Re: .458 SOCOM build opinions

Postby Ghost on Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:25 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
Bearcatrp wrote:Thanks folks. Since I already have a 338LM bolt, did look into the 338 federal. 458 is looking better each time I read about it though. What upper is needed? Would think that big of a caliber requires larger than a AR10 upper.

No, that is the beauty of it. It is an ar15 upper and lower, just change the bolt, barrel and mag.

Why not the 450 Bushmaster? I believe I read it operates at a higher pressure and has more bullet selection for the re-loaders.
User avatar
Ghost
 
Posts: 7706 [View]
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:49 pm

Re: .458 SOCOM build opinions

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:37 pm

Ghost wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:
Bearcatrp wrote:Thanks folks. Since I already have a 338LM bolt, did look into the 338 federal. 458 is looking better each time I read about it though. What upper is needed? Would think that big of a caliber requires larger than a AR10 upper.

No, that is the beauty of it. It is an ar15 upper and lower, just change the bolt, barrel and mag.

Why not the 450 Bushmaster? I believe I read it operates at a higher pressure and has more bullet selection for the re-loaders.

.452 not .458 less selection not more.
User avatar
Holland&Holland
 
Posts: 8407 [View]
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:17 am

Re: .458 SOCOM build opinions

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:42 pm

Of course it can’t hold a candle to 6.5 Grendel. :twisted:
User avatar
Holland&Holland
 
Posts: 8407 [View]
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:17 am

Re: .458 SOCOM build opinions

Postby Ghost on Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:14 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:Of course it can’t hold a candle to 6.5 Grendel. :twisted:

It can't at 200 yards :D
User avatar
Ghost
 
Posts: 7706 [View]
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:49 pm

Re: .458 SOCOM build opinions

Postby Ghost on Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:28 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
Ghost wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:No, that is the beauty of it. It is an ar15 upper and lower, just change the bolt, barrel and mag.

Why not the 450 Bushmaster? I believe I read it operates at a higher pressure and has more bullet selection for the re-loaders.

.452 not .458 less selection not more.

There are a lot of bullets in the .451/.452 range and they are cheaper. I haven't seen 600 grains but there are hard cast 500's as that's what a .460 mag shoots although they can hit 60,000 psi instead of the 38,500 limit of the bushy in an AR. Plus you can resize a .458 if desired.

I'm just wondering why pick one over the other? Bearcatrp may like the Bushy better.
User avatar
Ghost
 
Posts: 7706 [View]
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:49 pm

Re: .458 SOCOM build opinions

Postby FJ540 on Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:05 am

The .458S uses an AR15 upper, but you need to mill out the ejection port to clear the brass.

Some guys have even done it with a Dremel.
User avatar
FJ540
 
Posts: 6834 [View]
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:44 pm
Location: Rock Ridge

Re: .458 SOCOM build opinions

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:19 am

FJ540 wrote:The .458S uses an AR15 upper, but you need to mill out the ejection port to clear the brass.

Some guys have even done it with a Dremel.

Or buy one with the larger ejection port.
User avatar
Holland&Holland
 
Posts: 8407 [View]
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:17 am

Re: .458 SOCOM build opinions

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:25 am

There are a lot of bullets in the .451/.452 range and they are cheaper. I haven't seen 600 grains but there are hard cast 500's as that's what a .460 mag shoots although they can hit 60,000 psi instead of the 38,500 limit of the bushy in an AR. Plus you can resize a .458 if desired.

I'm just wondering why pick one over the other? Bearcatrp may like the Bushy better.[/quote]
Well then he should post in the 450 bushmaster thread not the 458 thread. There are tons of projectiles in the 458 designed to operate at those velocities. Build what you want though.
User avatar
Holland&Holland
 
Posts: 8407 [View]
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:17 am

Re: .458 SOCOM build opinions

Postby Bearcatrp on Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:49 pm

Not jumping on anything now. Just looking at options. The Beowulf has always intrigued me. But after learning a bit more on the 458 socom, it’s a toss between the two. So what barrel length is optimum for the 458?
Bearcatrp
 
Posts: 1936 [View]
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:57 pm

Re: .458 SOCOM build opinions

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:01 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:Not jumping on anything now. Just looking at options. The Beowulf has always intrigued me. But after learning a bit more on the 458 socom, it’s a toss between the two. So what barrel length is optimum for the 458?

16

My research seemed to indicate anything longer did not gain you much.
User avatar
Holland&Holland
 
Posts: 8407 [View]
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:17 am

Re: .458 SOCOM build opinions

Postby FJ540 on Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:30 am

I'm not sure if anyone's even making anything longer than 16" right now. I've seen an 18" in the .458 group on Fb, but I don't recall who's barrel it was.

My carbine is a 16" and my pistol is a 10.5". Fwiw
User avatar
FJ540
 
Posts: 6834 [View]
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:44 pm
Location: Rock Ridge

Re: .458 SOCOM build opinions

Postby BigDog58 on Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:47 am

You can always contact Kenny at K&P Guns and he'll make you just about any barrel you desire. He does excellent barrel work.

http://kandpgunco.com/
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
User avatar
BigDog58
 
Posts: 2392 [View]
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:03 am
Location: Edina, MN

Re: .458 SOCOM build opinions

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:15 am

Blackhole Weaponry does .458 Socom from 7.5 inch to 18 and everything in between. They make very nice barrels but once again, I don't think there is any reason to go past 16. Mine is from Wilson Combat.
User avatar
Holland&Holland
 
Posts: 8407 [View]
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:17 am

PreviousNext

Return to Long Guns

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron