.458 SOCOM build opinions

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Re: .458 SOCOM build opinions

Postby BigBlue on Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:05 am

Aero Precision stripped 458 SOCOM upper on sale today!

https://aeroprecisionusa.com/458-socom-stripped-upper-receiver.html

Only $59.99...
BigBlue
 
Posts: 1468 [View]
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:33 pm

Re: .458 SOCOM build opinions

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:19 pm

BigBlue wrote:Aero Precision stripped 458 SOCOM upper on sale today!

https://aeroprecisionusa.com/458-socom-stripped-upper-receiver.html

Only $59.99...

Tempting. I have a billet lower it is going on though and want to mate it to a billet upper. Really looking hard at side chargers. Anybody have experience with these?
User avatar
Holland&Holland
 
Posts: 5750 [View]
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:17 am

Re: .458 SOCOM build opinions

Postby OldmanFCSA on Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:41 pm

I have a mould for 450 grains of .458 caliber if anyone is interested. Posting it here due to relevance to above topic. PM me if interested.
OldmanFCSA
 
Posts: 2849 [View]
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:55 pm
Location: Osceola, WI.

Re: .458 SOCOM build opinions

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:10 am

OldmanFCSA wrote:I have a mould for 450 grains of .458 caliber if anyone is interested. Posting it here due to relevance to above topic. PM me if interested.


Tempting, too soon to for me to be thinking about melting my own lead though. Maybe FJ will see this, he seems like this is something he really needs. Then maybe later I can borrow :D
User avatar
Holland&Holland
 
Posts: 5750 [View]
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:17 am

Re: .458 SOCOM build opinions

Postby yukonjasper on Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:34 am

Curses, now I'm becoming obsessed with .458 SOCOM.

It does look pretty interesting. Good luck with your build.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
User avatar
yukonjasper
 
Posts: 4014 [View]
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:31 pm
Location: eagan

Re: .458 SOCOM build opinions

Postby yukonjasper on Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:52 am

check out this sombitch'
https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/wilson ... he-limits/

Hunting cartridges often fall into two different classes, light and fast or heavy and slow. Wilson Combat just developed a new cartridge that asks why not both?

Their new .458 HAM’R is a high-pressure thumper that pushes a 300-grain bullet at 2,000 feet per second generating over 3,000 foot-pounds of force at the muzzle — in an AR-15-size package with an 18-inch barrel.

This puts the .458 HAM’R at the top of big-bore cartridge family, beating .450 Bushmaster, .458 SOCOM and .500 Beowulf for sheer power.


.458 HAM’R is not safe to use in .458 SOCOM rifles and will not chamber correctly. (Photo: W.C.)

“The HAM’R is designed from concept to completion to be the hardest-hitting, most powerful AR-platform carbine ever produced,” states Wilson.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
User avatar
yukonjasper
 
Posts: 4014 [View]
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:31 pm
Location: eagan

Re: .458 SOCOM build opinions

Postby Ghost on Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:21 am

yukonjasper wrote:check out this sombitch'
https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/wilson ... he-limits/

Hunting cartridges often fall into two different classes, light and fast or heavy and slow. Wilson Combat just developed a new cartridge that asks why not both?

Their new .458 HAM’R is a high-pressure thumper that pushes a 300-grain bullet at 2,000 feet per second generating over 3,000 foot-pounds of force at the muzzle — in an AR-15-size package with an 18-inch barrel.

This puts the .458 HAM’R at the top of big-bore cartridge family, beating .450 Bushmaster, .458 SOCOM and .500 Beowulf for sheer power.


.458 HAM’R is not safe to use in .458 SOCOM rifles and will not chamber correctly. (Photo: W.C.)

“The HAM’R is designed from concept to completion to be the hardest-hitting, most powerful AR-platform carbine ever produced,” states Wilson.

Image
User avatar
Ghost
 
Posts: 5355 [View]
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:49 pm

Re: .458 SOCOM build opinions

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:21 am

yukonjasper wrote:check out this sombitch'
https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/wilson ... he-limits/

Hunting cartridges often fall into two different classes, light and fast or heavy and slow. Wilson Combat just developed a new cartridge that asks why not both?

Their new .458 HAM’R is a high-pressure thumper that pushes a 300-grain bullet at 2,000 feet per second generating over 3,000 foot-pounds of force at the muzzle — in an AR-15-size package with an 18-inch barrel.

This puts the .458 HAM’R at the top of big-bore cartridge family, beating .450 Bushmaster, .458 SOCOM and .500 Beowulf for sheer power.


.458 HAM’R is not safe to use in .458 SOCOM rifles and will not chamber correctly. (Photo: W.C.)


“The HAM’R is designed from concept to completion to be the hardest-hitting, most powerful AR-platform carbine ever produced,” states Wilson.

Read that article. Considered it but with the hybrid receiver decided to stick to .458 socom.

If I need a 300 grain bullet moving at over 2000 feet per second in a compact package, I have a .405 Win for that.
User avatar
Holland&Holland
 
Posts: 5750 [View]
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:17 am

Re: .458 SOCOM build opinions

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:57 am

Anybody have any experience with Gibbz arms side charging uppers?
User avatar
Holland&Holland
 
Posts: 5750 [View]
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:17 am

Re: .458 SOCOM build opinions

Postby FJ540 on Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:13 pm

I already have a 500gr mould, and a 330gr that were purchased specifically for .458S.

The guys on the SOCOM group on Fb seem to like the Gibbz uppers. They cut the ejection port big from the factory, so you're good to go rather than needing to mod it (which is painless on a mill).

PM me with questions. I haven't been staying up on the forums lately.
User avatar
FJ540
 
Posts: 6762 [View]
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:44 pm
Location: Rock Ridge

Re: .458 SOCOM build opinions

Postby Randygmn on Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:05 am

I know some of their early remanifactured stuff was “shady”, but since, Freedom Munitions has turned into a full fledged powerhouse manufacturer of new ammo. They recently started producing their big bore AR line that includes the 458S chamberings. Another place to buy “reasonably” priced ammo for that caliber. Decent option. I know I don’t want to be shot with it.

Also- have wanted a Gibz side charger for a long time. Don’t have to break your cheek weld.
Randygmn
 
Posts: 857 [View]
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:52 pm

Re: .458 SOCOM build opinions

Postby Ghost on Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:44 am

Randygmn wrote:I know some of their early remanifactured stuff was “shady”, but since, Freedom Munitions has turned into a full fledged powerhouse manufacturer of new ammo. They recently started producing their big bore AR line that includes the 458S chamberings. Another place to buy “reasonably” priced ammo for that caliber. Decent option. I know I don’t want to be shot with it.

Also- have wanted a Gibz side charger for a long time. Don’t have to break your cheek weld.

I did not know FM had improved. Good to know.
User avatar
Ghost
 
Posts: 5355 [View]
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:49 pm

Re: .458 SOCOM build opinions

Postby Randygmn on Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:36 am

Ghost wrote:
Randygmn wrote:I know some of their early remanifactured stuff was “shady”, but since, Freedom Munitions has turned into a full fledged powerhouse manufacturer of new ammo. They recently started producing their big bore AR line that includes the 458S chamberings. Another place to buy “reasonably” priced ammo for that caliber. Decent option. I know I don’t want to be shot with it.

Also- have wanted a Gibz side charger for a long time. Don’t have to break your cheek weld.

I did not know FM had improved. Good to know.


All of their newly manufactured stuff is good to go. Their making 10’s of millions of rounds per year. And they also carry other manufacturer products too.
Randygmn
 
Posts: 857 [View]
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:52 pm

Re: .458 SOCOM build opinions

Postby OldmanFCSA on Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:39 pm

Dang it H&H = now I'm interested in building one for Hog Hunting.
OldmanFCSA
 
Posts: 2849 [View]
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:55 pm
Location: Osceola, WI.

Re: .458 SOCOM build opinions

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:29 am

OldmanFCSA wrote:Dang it H&H = now I'm interested in building one for Hog Hunting.


Sorry :D

I am blaming FJ so feel free to add on the blame!
User avatar
Holland&Holland
 
Posts: 5750 [View]
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:17 am

PreviousNext

Return to Long Guns

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron