Bighorn Arms shotgun?

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Bighorn Arms shotgun?

Postby Bitter Bastard on Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:25 pm

I just picked up a Big Horn Arms .410 shotgun on Armslist. These are interesting guns, single shot, open bolt, made in Watertown, SD in the 60's and 70's from what I've heard. They also made a .22 short single shot open bolt pistol, which I also have. It appears most of the parts are common between the two guns, that the stock and barrel are the primary differences.

BUT, the catch is, apparently the .410 didn't shoot normal .410 ammo. The Blue Book of Gun Values mentions a reloadable shot cartridge with reloading equipment included.

Does anyone have any information on these guns and especially the ammo they shoot? Can they also shoot maybe 2" or 1 3/4" .410 shells? A 2 1/2" shell is too long to even fit into the loading/ejection port.

It's an odd duck for sure.

Thanks,

Bitter Bastard
Bitter Bastard

Re: Bighorn Arms shotgun?

Postby wasfuzz on Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:00 pm

:picsneeded:
ONE* Training LLC - Mapleton, MN
Offering Training in;
NRA Basic Pistol
MN DPS/ BCA Approved Conceal Carry
WI,IA Conceal Carry
NRA LE Firearms Instructor & LEO HR 218 Training
MN DNR Hunter Safety
ASP Expandable Baton
wasfuzz

Re: Bighorn Arms shotgun?

Postby Bitter Bastard on Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:57 pm

Link to an album with both shotgun and pistol.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1SmZCpuEnAn8jB3r2

I haven't really looked at the pistol in maybe 10 years. It is quite a bit more refined than the shotgun as far as parts quality. Don't take refined to mean German engineering, but rather a step up from their earlier work. And after looking at them, probably not many parts are compatible. It looks like the shotgun uses a stamped sear whereas the pistol uses a machined block of sorts. Anyway, interesting designs. The safety auto-engages when either is cocked. The .22 has a small dimple in the chamber to keep a loaded shell in place in case you tip it up after you load it.

The stocks on both guns are plastic. The shotgun seems to be all metal other than that, the pistol has a plastic rear sight and the whole front sight rib and ramp are all plastic as well.

There is actually a set of these on gunbroker right now for $400 each and the shotgun includes the shells but no reloading press. It appears I may have bought my first wall hanger.

Bitter Bastard

eta - maybe someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong as far as the IMG tag for my second link.
Bitter Bastard

Return to Long Guns