Grendel owners, chime in

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Re: Grendel owners, chime in

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:33 pm

Ghost wrote:
yukonjasper wrote:yikes, seems I may have a lot/too much glass on my rig. Nikon Monarch 4-16x42 side focus Nikoplex. Built for stand hunting, so weight isn't that critical, plus, I'm a pretty sturdy individual. Still haven't fire a round through it. It's a conventional rifle not one of those super cool SBR's.

Looking forward to my first 2 mile Buffalo kill............... :lol: :bolt:

Last deer I shot I used a Vortex razor gen 2 4.5-27, easy 100 yard shot. You can’t really over glass the grendel but you can over exert yourself with too much.

Oh boy. Must not engage....
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:59 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:Lifting it the way it is now is comfortable. Only have to ad a vfg plus a larger mag fully loaded. Should be gtg. As said above, you can never have to much glass. Anyone know who makes a 1-8 with hash marks both horizontal and vertical? Looked at vortex, Burris, and primary arms with no luck. If the Burris XTR II was a 1-8 instead of a 1-6, would consider it. Having a 34mm tube on my XTR II 4-20 kind of spoiled me. Hard to use a 30mm tube.

I thought VFG was a no no on an AR pistol? Unless you are longer than 26" and the brace doesn't count in the length nor the muzzle device unless pinned and welded.
Ghost

Postby Ghost on Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:59 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
Ghost wrote:
yukonjasper wrote:yikes, seems I may have a lot/too much glass on my rig. Nikon Monarch 4-16x42 side focus Nikoplex. Built for stand hunting, so weight isn't that critical, plus, I'm a pretty sturdy individual. Still haven't fire a round through it. It's a conventional rifle not one of those super cool SBR's.

Looking forward to my first 2 mile Buffalo kill............... :lol: :bolt:

Last deer I shot I used a Vortex razor gen 2 4.5-27, easy 100 yard shot. You can’t really over glass the grendel but you can over exert yourself with too much.

Oh boy. Must not engage....

I like to zoom in. ;)
Ghost

Postby Bearcatrp on Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:15 am

Ghost wrote:
Bearcatrp wrote:Lifting it the way it is now is comfortable. Only have to ad a vfg plus a larger mag fully loaded. Should be gtg. As said above, you can never have to much glass. Anyone know who makes a 1-8 with hash marks both horizontal and vertical? Looked at vortex, Burris, and primary arms with no luck. If the Burris XTR II was a 1-8 instead of a 1-6, would consider it. Having a 34mm tube on my XTR II 4-20 kind of spoiled me. Hard to use a 30mm tube.

I thought VFG was a no no on an AR pistol? Unless you are longer than 26" and the brace doesn't count in the length nor the muzzle device unless pinned and welded.

I still have to measure it but my 12.5 inch AR308 is 27 inches, which makes it a AOW. If it is under, then will use one of those other types that just angles for a hand grip (forgot the name).
Bearcatrp

Postby Ghost on Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:03 am

Bearcatrp wrote:
Ghost wrote:

I still have to measure it but my 12.5 inch AR308 is 27 inches, which makes it a AOW. If it is under, then will use one of those other types that just angles for a hand grip (forgot the name).

Curious what you measure for length.
Ghost

Postby Bearcatrp on Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:45 pm

End of the buffer tube to end of threads on barrel.
Bearcatrp

Postby Ghost on Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:50 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:End of the buffer tube to end of threads on barrel.

I mean the length that you come up with, I don’t think my 12” is close to 26”
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:53 pm

Ghost wrote:

If it isn't, not sure you should post it.
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:30 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
Ghost wrote:

If it isn't, not sure you should post it.

Mines on an SBR lower ;)

Under 26 is either an SBR or a pistol. Can’t put a VFG on the pistol though. If the length is over 26” and has no rifle stock it’s just a firearm and then you can add a VFG but you couldn’t do things such as deer hunt in the shotgun zone as a pistol.

IANAL nor an expert so correct me if I am wrong.
Ghost

Postby Bearcatrp on Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:13 am

Just measured the grendel. 26.5 inches from end of barrel to end of tube. My 308 AR is 27 inches.
Bearcatrp

Postby unfitmother on Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:20 pm

It needs to be under 26" for hunting in the pistol/shotgun zone, fyi.
Semper Gumby
unfitmother

Postby Ghost on Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:02 pm

Have you shot it?
Ghost

Postby Bearcatrp on Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:23 pm

Yep. Last week I took it to do barrel break in. Never owned a match barrel before so followed faxon recommended procedure. Shot, rod, shot, etc.. go tomorrow for load development with Hornady 123 SST’s. Like to shoot commercial ammo so I have something to compare but can’t find any good stuff. After about 5 different places I called, one had 3 boxes of fusion. Purchased 1 box. Will zero with that, then begin my series of 5. Hope all goes well. Next week is my last week to do anything before my back surgery. Then out for around 3 months. Have to see how I heal up. Might sneak out when wife is working to do some light shooting.
Bearcatrp

Postby Ghost on Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:32 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:Yep. Last week I took it to do barrel break in. Never owned a match barrel before so followed faxon recommended procedure. Shot, rod, shot, etc.. go tomorrow for load development with Hornady 123 SST’s. Like to shoot commercial ammo so I have something to compare but can’t find any good stuff. After about 5 different places I called, one had 3 boxes of fusion. Purchased 1 box. Will zero with that, then begin my series of 5. Hope all goes well. Next week is my last week to do anything before my back surgery. Then out for around 3 months. Have to see how I heal up. Might sneak out when wife is working to do some light shooting.

I buy the Hornady factory stuff from Budsgunshop, selway armory or sportsman’s warehouse.

Buds ships free for the Hornady Black if you buy $200 worth.

Sportsman’s sells the American gunner for $139.99 shipped (free shipping sales) 200 rounds.
Ghost

Postby Bearcatrp on Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:43 pm

Just checked Buds, only 3 types, 2 OOS. That Alexander stuff cost to much. Every place I looked online past couple days were OOS. About 8 places. Not sure if it’s the manufacturer being slow or this caliber is that hot. Was lucky to get 3 boxes of bullets on my last mail order.
Bearcatrp

PreviousNext

Return to Long Guns