Grendel owners, chime in

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Grendel owners, chime in

Postby Bearcatrp on Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:02 pm

Going to give the Grendel a whirl to see how it goes. Since I like my pistol setups, ordered a 12.5 inch barreled upper. Arrived today. Has a faxon match barrel. Rest of my reloading components are incoming. Almost went back to a 6.5 CM AR but read a thread on AR15.com that sparked my interest in this caliber. Will be an interesting ride. If it turns out what I’m hoping for, may be getting rid of some other rifles. Trying to sell one of my 300BO’s now. Anyone have some tips, feel free to jump in. Already joined the Grendel forums.
Bearcatrp

Re: Grendel owners, chime in

Postby Ghost on Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:11 pm

Awesome, best tip is to enjoy it. Looking forward to your opinions.

Since you are reloading you should get these http://www.ar15buildbox.com/shop/65-Grendel-Reloading-HandBooks.htm

Also, if you kill a rhinoceros at a mile let Holland&Holland know. ;)
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:04 pm

Ghost wrote:Awesome, best tip is to enjoy it. Looking forward to your opinions.

Since you are reloading you should get these http://www.ar15buildbox.com/shop/65-Grendel-Reloading-HandBooks.htm

Also, if you kill a rhinoceros at a mile let Holland&Holland know. ;)

:picsneeded:

Or it didn't happen.
Holland&Holland

Postby Bearcatrp on Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:21 am

I got this one from sulzar firearms. Am reading on the grendel forums folks having great success with short barrels in the grendel. For now, it will share the lower from my 300BO pistol. Still stuck on scope but leaning towards a vortex 1-8 for now to keep costs down.
http://sulzerfirearms.com/12-5-6-5-gren ... ete-upper/
Bearcatrp

Postby Ghost on Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:32 am

Bearcatrp wrote:I got this one from sulzar firearms. Am reading on the grendel forums folks having great success with short barrels in the grendel. For now, it will share the lower from my 300BO pistol. Still stuck on scope but leaning towards a vortex 1-8 for now to keep costs down.
http://sulzerfirearms.com/12-5-6-5-gren ... ete-upper/

How far you want to shoot it? Last I read the 12.5” barrel is comparable to 357 muzzle energy all the way to 800 yards and supersonic over 1000. If you want to shoot that far I’d use more scope. For a 200 yard deer killer, a 1-6, 1-8 even a red dot would work and be light.
Ghost

Postby Bearcatrp on Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:13 am

One of the reasons for checking this caliber out is to see if can do up to 1000 yards if really needed but under 600 yards for accurate shooting. My current 308 AR seems to get heavier every time I pick it up and if the grendel can take its place, then will sell the 308 and get away fro AR10's. Another back surgery in a couple weeks so have to reassess my needs vs what I can physically handle. Weight is not my friend for lifting. What good is a weapon if I cannot shoot it comfortably. Had a 6.5CM bolt a couple years ago but sold that. Almost bought a savage MSR 6.5CM until I came across the grendel information. Looks very promising. Think the match faxon barrelled upper will be a good testament of its ability. Never owned a match barrel rifle before so this one I will do a proper barrel break in according to faxon information. Thought about a 3-9 scope but the weight just sucks. A good crystal clear 1-8 scope may do what I want. Have to move scopes around to accommodate this upper until I decide. Have a Burris RT6 1-6 on my AR308 which I will use for now while I research scopes. Have to keep the eotech I have for sale until I do get another scope. I'll post pics when I get it together. My dies, brass and bullets arrived today so time to load up and hit the range. Should be interesting.
Bearcatrp

Grendel owners, chime in

Postby INOR on Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:19 am

So Grendel fits a standard AR lower but fitted with a different complete upper, correct? And different magazines? I’ve not considered a 1000 yd rhino gun before now. Interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
INOR

Postby Ghost on Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:55 am

INOR wrote:So Grendel fits a standard AR lower but fitted with a different complete upper, correct? And different magazines? I’ve not considered a 1000 yd rhino gun before now. Interesting.

Different barrel, bolt and mags otherwise same as a 5.56 AR
Ghost

Postby Ghost on Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:02 pm

Bearcatrp, sounds like you should go light. I’d go 1-6 or 1-8.

My LaRue grendel came with a Burris 1-6, it’s nice and a great range for a hunting gun.

LaRue used a Burris Xtreme Tactical XTR 30mm 1x-4x, illuminated, Ballistic 5.56. - Item # 201902 for his 406 yard grendel elk kill.
Ghost

Postby Bearcatrp on Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:54 pm

Here is a quick picture of it. Robbed my 308 AR of its Burris RT-6 1-6 scope. Its a nice clear scope. Almost as clear as my Burris XTR II 4-20 scope. Did have to order a magazine from sulzar firearms when I ordered the upper. Just one until I can find less expensive one. Just got it lubed up and put together so will hit the range tomorrow to break it in. Will chrono the Hornady 123 SST's I purchased with my order of reloading supplies. Picked up dies, brass and bullets to start reloading once I break it in. Should be interesting.
Bearcatrp

Postby Bearcatrp on Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:58 pm

INOR wrote:So Grendel fits a standard AR lower but fitted with a different complete upper, correct? And different magazines? I’ve not considered a 1000 yd rhino gun before now. Interesting.

You can buy most uppers like the 300BO I have for sale and other calibers made for the AR15 platform. Some require a different bolt, others don't. The new Valkyrie requires a new bolt. Not sure on the new 22 Nosler released a bit ago. If you don't mind swapping lowers with multiple uppers, Not a bad way to save a few bucks. The only real issue is matching up so there isn't a gap. My 308 AR has a tiny gap. I'll try to post a pic later so you can see what I am talking about.
Bearcatrp

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:00 pm

yikes, seems I may have a lot/too much glass on my rig. Nikon Monarch 4-16x42 side focus Nikoplex. Built for stand hunting, so weight isn't that critical, plus, I'm a pretty sturdy individual. Still haven't fire a round through it. It's a conventional rifle not one of those super cool SBR's.

Looking forward to my first 2 mile Buffalo kill............... :lol: :bolt:
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Ghost on Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:08 pm

yukonjasper wrote:yikes, seems I may have a lot/too much glass on my rig. Nikon Monarch 4-16x42 side focus Nikoplex. Built for stand hunting, so weight isn't that critical, plus, I'm a pretty sturdy individual. Still haven't fire a round through it. It's a conventional rifle not one of those super cool SBR's.

Looking forward to my first 2 mile Buffalo kill............... :lol: :bolt:

Last deer I shot I used a Vortex razor gen 2 4.5-27, easy 100 yard shot. You can’t really over glass the grendel but you can over exert yourself with too much.
Ghost

Postby Bearcatrp on Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:30 pm

Lifting it the way it is now is comfortable. Only have to ad a vfg plus a larger mag fully loaded. Should be gtg. As said above, you can never have to much glass. Anyone know who makes a 1-8 with hash marks both horizontal and vertical? Looked at vortex, Burris, and primary arms with no luck. If the Burris XTR II was a 1-8 instead of a 1-6, would consider it. Having a 34mm tube on my XTR II 4-20 kind of spoiled me. Hard to use a 30mm tube.
Bearcatrp

Postby Jackpine Savage on Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:26 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:Lifting it the way it is now is comfortable. Only have to ad a vfg plus a larger mag fully loaded. Should be gtg. As said above, you can never have to much glass. Anyone know who makes a 1-8 with hash marks both horizontal and vertical? Looked at vortex, Burris, and primary arms with no luck. If the Burris XTR II was a 1-8 instead of a 1-6, would consider it. Having a 34mm tube on my XTR II 4-20 kind of spoiled me. Hard to use a 30mm tube.

Trijicon's 1-8 does, a little over a grand though.
Jackpine Savage

Next

Return to Long Guns