Long Range Endeavor: Tikka CTR or Tikka TAC both in 6.5Cr ?

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Re: Long Range Endeavor: Tikka CTR or Tikka TAC both in 6.5Cr ?

Postby goosed on Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:08 am

[/quote]
Rip Van Winkle wrote:I've shot NRA/CMP Highpower for 20 years and have never chronoed a load.

If you shoot a rifle and cartridge combo that's in common use, there's no need to reinvent the wheel.

True, we can take new shooters get them zeroed at 100yds. Then have them dial the generic come up of 16MOA with a 308 and consistently get hits on the 600yd high power targets. No chrono necessary with known cartridges at time tested distances.

However, at my last official PRS match where 2MOA targets are shot from "unknown distances" of 248 to 723 with no sighters it would have been nearly impossible to get hits without knowing the exact muzzle velocity. Even with F-class I find that a chrono to eliminate vertical spread is important to ensure I'm always shooting at the widest part of the circle as the wind still befuddles me and that bullseye is so dang tiny there isn't much room for error these days.

To me a chrono isn't required to reload as the results on target don't lie, but rather it is "the right tool for the job" with certain games we shooters like to play.
goosed

Postby Bergie on Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:37 pm

It's me -the OP- I went the poor-mans route and picked up a cheap Rem 700 in 6.5 when they were on sale back in July (Cabelas). I figured I'd want to wade into the long range pool inexpensively. So for a fraction of the price of a TAC I'll swap out the chassis, play with it for a while, then decide on a direction. Who knows, maybe I'll just keep this and put a Krieger on it some day and call it good.
BTW, want to know what's total bullsh*t? Cabelas/BassPro decided to cancel the mil/LE 10% discount on guns and ammo.
What....that whopping discount and a horde of LE/mil buyers hurting your bottom line Cabelas?! I'm done with them.
Bergie

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:02 pm

Bergie wrote:It's me -the OP- I went the poor-mans route and picked up a cheap Rem 700 in 6.5 when they were on sale back in July (Cabelas). I figured I'd want to wade into the long range pool inexpensively. So for a fraction of the price of a TAC I'll swap out the chassis, play with it for a while, then decide on a direction. Who knows, maybe I'll just keep this and put a Krieger on it some day and call it good.
BTW, want to know what's total bullsh*t? Cabelas/BassPro decided to cancel the mil/LE 10% discount on guns and ammo.
What....that whopping discount and a horde of LE/mil buyers hurting your bottom line Cabelas?! I'm done with them.

They are no longer owned by Cabelas, they are now Bass Pro. Talk to the gun counter guys. Their discount vanished to.
Holland&Holland

Previous

Return to Long Guns