300 black out won't chamber

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Postby nhluke on Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:39 am

I put a Faxon barrel in an Aero Precision upper and it won't go into battery with a round in the chamber. I'm assuming this is one of those scenarios where it's good practice to do a drop test into the barrel prior to install. This is the 4th barrel I've put in on an ar, so the barrel may be fine and it's installation error.
It doesn't matter if the ammo is dropped in by hand or fed off the mag with the bcg. The base of the case sticks out about a 1/4 of an inch. For kicks I placed a 223 round in as well and its a similar story. The barrel is marked 300 black out and all the ammo I've tried is barnes that works in other firearms. I'll contact the barrel co. when I'm a little more sure it's out of spec.
I don't have gauges or much experience missing before the barrel....historically I miss after.

Editted to change manufacturers name
Last edited by nhluke on Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
nhluke

Re: 300 black out won't chamber

Postby bigscoop on Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:10 pm

For what its worth , I had a B A barrel in .308 , mine did the same thing till i broke it in ( manually chambering / ejecting a dummy round about a bazillion times along with buffing the chamber After that it would not eject a spent case. I sent it back for inspection, after two months of phone tag ( not returning my e.mails) I finally had a lawyer friend contact them and received return info. I bought a different brand barrel and not a single hickup since.
bigscoop

Postby Bearcatrp on Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:30 pm

Reloads or commercial ammo? If reloads, did you full length resize? If commercial, may be a short throat.
Bearcatrp

Postby Erud on Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:45 pm

No problem, just shoot .223 through it instead.
Erud

Postby nhluke on Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:41 am

Even if I punch the forward assist it won't push any factory load I have of 300bo or 223 in the last quarter of an in.
I usually subscribe to the "don't use FWD assist to ram a round in, just eject it" but i tried it here.
It sounds like I will have to be involved in my least two favorite things on this rock...customer service and mailing something.
nhluke

Postby nhluke on Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:25 pm

It turns out a longer gas tube snuck into the assembly. It's hitting the bcg and the space between the rim of the case and barrel is normal (I've never noticed how far they stick out for the extractor).

I'll switch out the gas tube and no one will know I'm a dummy except those who read this. (Mods delete whole thread????)
nhluke

Postby INOR on Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:31 pm

Nicely done. Thanks for sharing. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
INOR

Postby Erud on Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:18 pm

nhluke wrote:It turns out a longer gas tube snuck into the assembly. It's hitting the bcg and the space between the rim of the case and barrel is normal (I've never noticed how far they stick out for the extractor).

I'll switch out the gas tube and no one will know I'm a dummy except those who read this. (Mods delete whole thread????)

I saved the screen shot.
Erud

Postby BigBlue on Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:07 pm

Glad you found your issue. Don't worry about it, we all miss things. I notoriously have to do parts of some projects 2-3 times because I forgot something or did something in the wrong order.

BB
BigBlue

Postby grimbeaver on Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:45 am

I had the same problem on one of my rifles. I got a Columbia River 300BO with their custom C5 gas length right at the time they were abandoning their custom gas block which had the gas port slightly further out. End result was me having the tube for the custom block attached to a mill-spec gas block which made it too long.
grimbeaver

Postby Randygmn on Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:58 am

nhluke wrote:It turns out a longer gas tube snuck into the assembly. It's hitting the bcg and the space between the rim of the case and barrel is normal (I've never noticed how far they stick out for the extractor).

Yeah, don’t delete this. This may serve as a valuable source for others in the future who may make the same mistake. Glad you’re all sorted out now.
Randygmn

Postby nhluke on Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:27 pm

Yesterday I finally just went out to Cabelas and bought a carbine gas tube and pulled off the hand guard. It was quickly apparent the roll pin missed going into the original tube. I didn't need to buy the another gas tube for 20 bucks that was the same side. The tube was pretty snug in my fancy adjustable gas block so it felt like i got the pin through it. It even held for a function check or 2... it was 5 months later when the gas key "pulled" it out and it got wedged an inch out of the GB. Lessons learned all over the place.
nhluke

Postby Ghost on Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:07 pm

I had that happen once, the manufacturer recommended the wrong size. It happens.
Ghost

Postby 2in2out on Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:55 pm

On a related note, I had a gas tube that wouldn't go into the gas block. I tried polishing and lots of persuasion, but it ultimately got tossed in my scrap metal pile. Next gas tube, no problem at all. With a part like that, I chalked it up to QC issues on the first gas tube.

I have a Faxon barrel on my 300blk build, but have not put enough time on it to know what to think of it. They seem like really good barrels for the money.
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Postby Jackpine Savage on Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:04 pm

I just got done wit
2in2out wrote:On a related note, I had a gas tube that wouldn't go into the gas block. I tried polishing and lots of persuasion, but it ultimately got tossed in my scrap metal pile. Next gas tube, no problem at all. With a part like that, I chalked it up to QC issues on the first gas tube.

I have a Faxon barrel on my 300blk build, but have not put enough time on it to know what to think of it. They seem like really good barrels for the money.

I just got done with a 300 build where the gas tube didn't want to go in too. I used a drill bit to manually clean out the gas block and the tube went right in.
Jackpine Savage

Return to Long Guns