RPR now in 300WM & 338LM

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Re: RPR now in 300WM & 338LM

Postby FJ540 on Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:03 pm

I don't think it'd fold up in use, I just don't think the chassis is rigid enough.

I bought a Barrett 98b tactical heavy barrel .338L in January. Finally got it to the range last weekend, and put 85 rounds through her before deciding I was done. :)
FJ540

Postby Bearcatrp on Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:52 pm

Curious what you paid for it. Have always wanted a Barrett but the price was to much. I had to downgrade from a 50 BMG. 338LM has always had my eye so jumped on a savage for a good price. Light but recoil was stout. When the RPR came out, figured Ruger did it right so sold off the savage to get the RPR. To heavy to hunt with but it’s a dream to shoot more than 20 rounds without shoulder fatigue. Maybe we could shoot together some time and try each other’s rifle.
Bearcatrp

Postby FJ540 on Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:40 pm

$2785 after FFL fee (got free shipping from Buds). For some reason the battle-worn gray paint scheme wasn't as popular as they thought, so they dropped the price quite a bit to move them. I figured I could always cerakote it myself if I didn't like it, but it grew on me from the moment I pulled it out for pre-4473 inspection.

I hated the factory grip (AR compatible, so that was one whole screw to rectify), and Barrett used the cheesiest plastic ball bolt-knob ever, so I upgraded that to a nice 7075 aluminum one.

I'm down for letting you shoot it.
FJ540

Postby Bearcatrp on Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:25 am

Wow, you stole that. Got a pic you can post? Hell yeah, let’s get together to cross shoot. Think you will be impressed with the RPR. How much does it weigh? Have looked at the MRAD system Barrett has. Expensive sucker but don’t think I’ve read anyone complaining except the cheap parts Barrett used. I plan on going up to rush lake range sometime soon to shoot 1200 yards. Long trip and $50 bucks for the day. Am on my final batch (hopefully) to narrow down a pet load. Want to be a hair above 2800 fps. You reload? What bullet are you considering going with? Hornady 285 ELD-M is working very well for me. What scope are you using? My Burris XTR II 4-20 is working great on mine.
Bearcatrp

Postby FJ540 on Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:03 pm

The MRAD just got adopted by the DoD, but you can damn near buy another 98b for what the caliber conversions cost. The only real differences between the MRAD and my gun are a folding stock and how the barrel attaches. Keymod vs M-loc is personal preference, and I think keymod looks like pallet racking, but I haven't cared enough to put panels on it either. Lol

Midway has ELD-M's in blems for $30ish a box right now. They're not accurately pictured on the site, but they're the real deal. I got 1k of 'em. :mrgreen:

I'm using my Zeiss conquest 6.5-20x50 for now. This scope wass on my AR10, but Burris is coming out with xtr 3's, so Natchez was dumping the 2's and I got a 1.5-8×28 for the .308 and moved the Zeiss over for now. Next year I hope to upgrade the Zeiss to a Valdada of some flavor.

I have an imgur link in the black rifle thread. My phone pics are too big for the forum. It's in the last page or 3 of that thread.
FJ540

Postby Bearcatrp on Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:40 am

Just looked at your photo. Was thinking it was the big rifle Barrett makes. Checked out a few you tube vids. That’s sweet. Thanks for the heads up on blems. Will check it out. Just learned about the XTRIII a couple weeks ago. Good reviews on AR15.com so far. Am wanting the Burris 1-8 but hasn’t dropped at all. The new ones are a bit pricey but the comments I have read state better glass than the XTR II. I really like mine. Hard to go back to a smaller tube scope.
Bearcatrp

Postby FJ540 on Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:18 pm

The big Barrett with the floating barrel isn't accurate according to Oldman. :lol:

Midway's got Norma brass half-off now too. Btw
FJ540

Postby BigDog58 on Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:36 am

FJ540 wrote:The big Barrett with the floating barrel isn't accurate according to Oldman. :lol:

He's right.

While they cost about 3 to 4 times (M-107 & M-82) what an AR-50 or a State Arms costs, they can't compete in accuracy. Their M-99 can be made accurate, but they need quite a bit of modification, to be competitive, in long range accuracy. I'm sure they (M-107 & M-82) have their place in combat, but for long range accuracy, there are far better and cheaper choices.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:14 pm

BigDog58 wrote:
FJ540 wrote:The big Barrett with the floating barrel isn't accurate according to Oldman. :lol:

He's right.

While they cost about 3 to 4 times (M-107 & M-82) what an AR-50 or a State Arms costs, they can't compete in accuracy. Their M-99 can be made accurate, but they need quite a bit of modification, to be competitive, in long range accuracy. I'm sure they (M-107 & M-82) have their place in combat, but for long range accuracy, there are far better and cheaper choices.

So what would be the go to platform for an accurate 50?
Holland&Holland

Postby BigDog58 on Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:26 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
BigDog58 wrote:

He's right.

So what would be the go to platform for an accurate 50?

Depending on how much you want to spend, the Armalite AR-50, State Arms Competition, are 2 of the ones I would personally choose. Mainly due to them having the ability to be competitive, without huge cash out of pocket. My next higher costs choice would be a Steyer HS 50, a McMillan TAC-50 are both, good choices.

My next choice would be to build a custom 50. This gives you the ability to choose your action, trigger, barrel, and stock. With a little shopping, you could build a Custom 50 BMG that will walk circles the Barrett M-107 or M-82, for about 50% of what either of these Barrett's cost. It seems that the most popular setup at the matches I attend, are AR-50's with some amount of modification ie: Barrel Swap & Trigger Replaced.

I shoot a highly modified State Arms Shorty. The only original parts still remaining, are the Action & Trigger. Thanks to OldmanFCSA it shoots better than I can, most of the time. And, including my Nightforce Scope, I have less than 50% of what a new Barrett would cost, with no scope.

Here's a Pic of my setup

Match Ready.jpg
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Previous

Return to Long Guns