RPR now in 300WM & 338LM

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Re: RPR now in 300WM & 338LM

Postby Ghost on Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:44 pm

Are you using the scope from the savage or are you planning something new?
Ghost

Postby Bearcatrp on Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:26 pm

INOR wrote:That’s sweet! I’m a left handed long gun shooter, which is odd as I’m right handed on everything else including pistol. Thus far I don’t think Ruger makes any RPRs for lefty shooters.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They don’t. My brother wanted one in 6.5 CM. He contacted Ruger and was told no they don’t make lefties.
Bearcatrp

Postby Bearcatrp on Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:38 pm

Ghost wrote:Are you using the scope from the savage or are you planning something new?

The Burris XTR II 4-20x50 that came off the savage will go on the RPR. Just hoping the rings I used on the savage will work for this rifle. The RPR 338 comes with a 30 MOA rail on it. My Burris rings that uses the inserts is set for 20 MOA now. When it was set up on the savage, was able to dial for 1 mile shots, with 3 clicks left on the turret. Providing the height isn’t to high with the rings, then just a matter of changing the inserts. Am hoping I don’t have to buy rings again. 34mm rings aren’t cheap. Will post my thoughts after I get to the range. Already have 50 rounds of semi cheap ammo loaded up to break it in. Plus have my load development made up too to see if I can shoot the same load I had for the savage. As hefty as this rifle feels from just holding it, don’t think that will be an issue. Just have to make sure.
Bearcatrp

Postby OldmanFCSA on Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:18 am

Bearcatrp wrote:
INOR wrote:That’s sweet! I’m a left handed long gun shooter, which is odd as I’m right handed on everything else including pistol. Thus far I don’t think Ruger makes any RPRs for lefty shooters.

They don’t. My brother wanted one in 6.5 CM. He contacted Ruger and was told no they don’t make lefties.

If you practice your techniques, you can shoot a right-handed rifle left-handed faster without losing your cheek-weld or shoulder position on the rifle. Some competitions promote these faster shooting techniques, especially when a bipod or sandbags are used. Using the off-hand takes practice for most of us as it is normally against the way we were taught. The only concern is how a rifle handles the pressure release from a pierced primer.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Ghost on Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:18 am

OldmanFCSA wrote:
Bearcatrp wrote:

If you practice your techniques, you can shoot a right-handed rifle left-handed faster without losing your cheek-weld or shoulder position on the rifle. Some competitions promote these faster shooting techniques, especially when a bipod or sandbags are used. Using the off-hand takes practice for most of us as it is normally against the way we were taught. The only concern is how a rifle handles the pressure release from a pierced primer.

There's a silver lining in everything.
Ghost

Postby xd ED on Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:49 am

OldmanFCSA wrote:
Bearcatrp wrote:

Lee Harvey Oswald was left-handed, and the rifle attributed to the JFK assassination was right-handed.

Some have demonstrated he could have gotten the shots off because of this.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby crbutler on Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:45 pm

Actually Oswald’s shooting was no great shakes.

Most reasonably in practice folks can replicate the speed in which he shot with a carcano.
crbutler

Postby Ghost on Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:55 pm

crbutler wrote:Actually Oswald’s shooting was no great shakes.

Most reasonably in practice folks can replicate the speed in which he shot with a carcano.

The Italians weapons experts disagree ;)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1556184/Oswald-had-no-time-to-fire-all-Kennedy-bullets.html

Lee Harvey Oswald could not have acted alone in assassinating President John F Kennedy, according to a new study by Italian weapons experts of the type of rifle Oswald used in the shootings.

In fresh tests of the Mannlicher-Carcano bolt-action weapon, supervised by the Italian army, it was found to be impossible for even an accomplished marksman to fire the shots quickly enough.

ETA: I have no dog in this fight, have a carcano but it’s never been shot since inheriting it so no idea.
Ghost

Postby crbutler on Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:24 pm

8.3 seconds from report of first shot to report of 3rd shot.

4 seconds plus per shot.

I’ve shot a running deer target at 100 yards in that kind of time frame and hit the target all 3 times (admittedly the hits were not very good, but it IS a carcano. I’m not that great a run and gunner and I can do it. A soldier who was trained on a bolt gun is much faster (although Oswald trained with a garand if I recall right.)

The time issue is different if you have the shooter start at a signal for 8 seconds, then the first shot is usually 1-1.5 seconds and while 2-3 seconds per shot is doable, accuracy is really hurt by requiring all your concentration on speed.
crbutler

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:19 pm

crbutler wrote:8.3 seconds from report of first shot to report of 3rd shot.

4 seconds plus per shot.

I’ve shot a running deer target at 100 yards in that kind of time frame and hit the target all 3 times (admittedly the hits were not very good, but it IS a carcano. I’m not that great a run and gunner and I can do it. A soldier who was trained on a bolt gun is much faster (although Oswald trained with a garand if I recall right.)

The time issue is different if you have the shooter start at a signal for 8 seconds, then the first shot is usually 1-1.5 seconds and while 2-3 seconds per shot is doable, accuracy is really hurt by requiring all your concentration on speed.

I could do that with my cast on.
Holland&Holland

Postby Bearcatrp on Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:23 pm

Got out to the range today with RPR 338. Wow, this baby handles recoil a lot better than the savage. It weighs 15 lbs without anything added. With my Burris XTR II and ammo, guessing 17 lbs. was able to shoot 46 rounds today. No way could I do that with the savage. But I wouldn’t want to hump this rifle either. My old arse couldn’t anyways. Maybe one of you young whipper snappers could. For a bench rifle, the weight really helps recoil. Happy camper here! Glad I sold the savage to fund this rifle.
Bearcatrp

Postby Ghost on Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:41 pm

How does it group?
Ghost

Postby Bearcatrp on Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:09 am

Ghost wrote:How does it group?

Clover leafs @100 yards.
Bearcatrp

Postby BigDog58 on Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:34 am

NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby Randygmn on Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:51 am

The only way this makes sense, even at Ruger’s very reasonable price is if you’re rolling your own. Same with 50BMG. At $8 a round, that’s too rich for my blood.
Randygmn

PreviousNext

Return to Long Guns