Hatfield SGL 12ga. $99 Walmart single shot shotgun review.

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:36 am

Finally decided to buy one of these to see what a $99 Walmart single shot shotgun was all about. These are imported by Hatfield from Turkey.

I guess early ones came in a bigger box folded from the factory. Mine came in a long skinny box with the gun not folded and a cheap trigger lock installed. I examined it while at my local Walmart. The finish was good, and the wood was surprisingly good for a bargain priced gun.

I got home, took it out of the box, removed the cheap lock, and checked out the gun some more. It has a external hammer that needs to be clocked for the gun to fire. It also has a simple cross bolt safety. The trigger guard doubles as the lever for the break action. The gun folds damn near in half for easy storage or transport. I noticed the break action was a little stiff at first. After working it a dozen times and applying a little oil it smoothed out. The barrel is 28" in length, and has a small rib on top. A small brass bead sight tops off the end of the barrel. It also has a fixed modified choke, and is chrome lined.

The trigger is heavy, but for a $99 single shot I want expecting a match grade trigger. I shot a box of Federal no. 8 bird shot though the gun. Not a single issue. Gun goes bang! It does have no recoil pad. I would recommend a limb saver slip on pad for extended shooting.

For just under $106 with tax I'm happy with the purchase. I mean who doesn't love a simple shotgun. ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
"Amateurs train until they get it right... Professionals train until they get it wrong"
PHATSPEED7x

Re: Hatfield SGL 12ga. $99 Walmart single shot shotgun review.

Postby Scratch on Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:54 am

I've never understood the need for a single shot shotgun. Maybe I'm just too poor of a shot though. I mean even Joe Biden thinks you need at least 2 shotgun blasts.
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby hard h2o on Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:08 pm

My first firearm was a cheap single shot .410.

Taofledermaus uses one that opens like this so that he can fit longer, experimental shotgun rounds into the chamber.

Not much to go wrong with these. Not sure about this one but mine can break down in to 3 subassemblies and then can be stored in a very small discreet space.

Good luck.
hard h2o

Postby Ghost on Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:12 pm

Scratch wrote:I've never understood the need for a single shot shotgun. Maybe I'm just too poor of a shot though. I mean even Joe Biden thinks you need at least 2 shotgun blasts.

I was thinking a second barrel would make it better.
Ghost

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:02 pm

hard h2o wrote:My first firearm was a cheap single shot .410.

Taofledermaus uses one that opens like this so that he can fit longer, experimental shotgun rounds into the chamber.

Not much to go wrong with these. Not sure about this one but mine can break down in to 3 subassemblies and then can be stored in a very small discreet space.

Good luck.
I have a Russian single shot 12ga that breaks down into 3 pieces. Bought it from cheaper than dirt for like $63. Real basic basic 12ga.

"Amateurs train until they get it right... Professionals train until they get it wrong"
PHATSPEED7x

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:07 pm

That wood is nicer than on my cheap $300 (used price) Turkish semi-auto!
gun_fan111v2

Postby wasfuzz on Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:20 pm

I bought one of the Hatfield $199 semi auto's to see what it was like. I am surprised at the fit and finish shoots nice. I had a issue when new, but was sent in for repair and back within 1 week. Better Customer Service then the big guys!
ONE* Training LLC - Mapleton, MN
Offering Training in;
NRA Basic Pistol
MN DPS/ BCA Approved Conceal Carry
WI,IA Conceal Carry
NRA LE Firearms Instructor & LEO HR 218 Training
MN DNR Hunter Safety
ASP Expandable Baton
wasfuzz

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:00 am

Scratch wrote:I've never understood the need for a single shot shotgun. Maybe I'm just too poor of a shot though. I mean even Joe Biden thinks you need at least 2 shotgun blasts.

Carry one all day and you will understand ;)
Holland&Holland

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:45 am

gun_fan111v2 wrote:That wood is nicer than on my cheap $300 (used price) Turkish semi-auto!
This is the only wood furniture firearm I own. It's not bad for a $99 gun.

PHATSPEED7x

Postby hopkins on Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:39 pm

I wouldn't say it is a beautiful gun, but the wood through the wrist is nice and straight. It goes bang when needed, and you didn't have to sell a child to buy it. What's not to like.
hopkins

Postby Rowdy Roddy on Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:42 pm

Scratch wrote:I've never understood the need for a single shot shotgun.

Better than no shotgun ;)
Rowdy Roddy

Postby FJ540 on Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:28 pm

Now if only we could cut these down without tripling the price...
FJ540

Postby GOPHERGUNNER on Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:56 am

Hatfield markets a semi-auto in 12 ga. and gauge also at Wally-World for $206.00. My buddy bought one, and has had nothing but trouble with it. Unfortunately, as the old saying goes, he got what he paid for. A quick search on You Tube revealed a video of these guns having issues with the forestock cracking shortly after purchase, and when being shot with standard loads.
GOPHERGUNNER

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:56 am

GOPHERGUNNER wrote:Hatfield markets a semi-auto in 12 ga. and gauge also at Wally-World for $206.00. My buddy bought one, and has had nothing but trouble with it. Unfortunately, as the old saying goes, he got what he paid for. A quick search on You Tube revealed a video of these guns having issues with the forestock cracking shortly after purchase, and when being shot with standard loads.

We have had 2 kids come through our trap team with these. Both ended up returning them after multiple trips back for warranty service.

To clarify, these were the semi-autos not the single shots. I would guess the single shots are much more solid, hard to screw that up.
Holland&Holland

Postby INOR on Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:01 am

hopkins wrote:.....you didn't have to sell a child to buy it.

I had no idea that you could sell kids to buy guns! I'm going shopping! :D
INOR

Next

Return to Long Guns