Remington 870

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Remington 870

Postby BorderBadger on Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:15 am

Hey all,

Just got an 870 super mag. Will be turkey hunting this spring.

I just got a turkey choke for it. Any other suggestions to add to the shotgun?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BorderBadger

Re: Remington 870

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:59 am

Red dot is a nice upgrade

Be sure to pattern it with your load and choke tube. You may have to try a few different loads.
Holland&Holland

Postby crbutler on Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:38 pm

Or some different brands of turkey choke tubes.

Red dot sight or scope may be needed if the gun hits to a different point of impact than point of aim.

If you are using nontoxics, especially tungsten ones, make sure you are using a choke that is compatible with it. Lead shot extra full chokes and steel or hevishot are not a good or safe combo.

Get dressed like you will be in the field... most magnum guns are too long in the LOP with heavy clothing. You may need to swap out a stock there too.

Patterning a lightweight 3.5” shotgun with heavy loads is not a lot of fun... you might want to get a sissy (PAST) pad for the patterning.
crbutler

Remington 870

Postby BorderBadger on Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:10 pm

The choke is lead only. Started looking at sites too. Seem to be some cheap/good options.

BorderBadger

Postby TSKNIGHT on Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:53 pm

BorderBadger wrote:The choke is lead only. Started looking at sites too. Seem to be some cheap/good options.

Cheap and good rarely go together.
While you may not need the top of the line. I've found it usually pays to buy the best I can afford.

I've had good service with Holosun red dot sights. They aren't the most expensive, but seem to be very reliable.
I also have two UTG red dot sights that have been dependable, but not as clear as the the Holosun.
TSKNIGHT

Remington 870

Postby BorderBadger on Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:48 am

Cheap in price, not cheap in quality.
BorderBadger

Postby Randygmn on Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:20 am

TSKNIGHT wrote:
BorderBadger wrote:The choke is lead only. Started looking at sites too. Seem to be some cheap/good options.

Cheap and good rarely go together.
While you may not need the top of the line. I've found it usually pays to buy the best I can afford.

I've had good service with Holosun red dot sights. They aren't the most expensive, but seem to be very reliable.
I also have two UTG red dot sights that have been dependable, but not as clear as the the Holosun.

Holosun makes the most reliable red dots available anywhere, in relation to cost. My personal experience bares this out, too, even on .308 rifles. I don’t have first hand experience with Holosun on shotguns, but know a few shooters who do and their positive experiences matches everything I’ve read or watched on line.
Randygmn

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:52 am

You don't need a red dot or anything else fancy. Just pattern your 870 to see where it shoots.

The toughest part of turkey hunting is finding where they're roosting, and finding a spot to call them in to.

Good luck.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:52 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:You don't need a red dot or anything else fancy. Just pattern your 870 to see where it shoots.

The toughest part of turkey hunting is finding where they're roosting, and finding a spot to call them in to.

Good luck.

Very true words of wisdom here.
Holland&Holland

Return to Long Guns