Pick one "while you still can" gun

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Pick one "while you still can" gun

Postby Lumpy on Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:07 pm

Suppose that "assault weapons" (by whatever definition) are going to be restricted/banned soon. If you had to pick one semi-automatic removable magazine gun to buy while it's still legal to (and then report the usual boating accident), what would you pick for a ten-year interregnum? AR- platform in 5.56 just because of how common parts and ammo currently are? Or is 6.5 the wave of the future? Or something else?

I HOPE this is a hypothetical...
User avatar
Lumpy
 
Posts: 1331 [View]
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:54 pm
Location: North of Lowry, West of Penn

Re: Pick one "while you still can" gun

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:11 pm

10 of the PSA cheap m4 clones and then sell them when the ban talk pushes then to 5xs their price.
User avatar
Holland&Holland
 
Posts: 7730 [View]
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:17 am

Pick one "while you still can" gun

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:40 pm

I am thinking AR-10 in 308. It can be used in hunting and 3-gun Heavy Metal division and the round is more versatile.
User avatar
gun_fan111v2
 
Posts: 816 [View]
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:31 pm

Re: Pick one

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:46 pm

gun_fan111v2 wrote:I am thinking AR-10 in 308. It can be used in hunting and 3-gun Heavy Metal division and the round is more versatile.


AR-10 or LR-308? :P
User avatar
Holland&Holland
 
Posts: 7730 [View]
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:17 am

Re: Pick one "while you still can" gun

Postby hopkins on Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:51 pm

I'd go for an older Remington semi-auto in .308, .270, or .30-06 with lots of mags. No evil looking gun hysteria, and lots more powerful caliber.
hopkins
 
Posts: 124 [View]
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:02 pm

Re: Pick one "while you still can" gun

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:55 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:10 of the PSA cheap m4 clones and then sell them when the ban talk pushes then to 5xs their price.

This would be the smart money bet. Or, just buy a dozen or so lowers and sell them for $150+ when the panic sets in.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
User avatar
Rip Van Winkle
 
Posts: 2866 [View]
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Pick one "while you still can" gun

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:17 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
gun_fan111v2 wrote:I am thinking AR-10 in 308. It can be used in hunting and 3-gun Heavy Metal division and the round is more versatile.


AR-10 or LR-308? :P


Honestly, I was thinking to trade up my Savage MSR-10 for something like a JP. LRP-07?

If limited to one, why not have a nice one :)
User avatar
gun_fan111v2
 
Posts: 816 [View]
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:31 pm

Re: Pick one "while you still can" gun

Postby MJY65 on Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:24 pm

Rip Van Winkle wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:10 of the PSA cheap m4 clones and then sell them when the ban talk pushes then to 5xs their price.

This would be the smart money bet. Or, just buy a dozen or so lowers and sell them for $150+ when the panic sets in.



Unless the new ban prohibits transfer(or possession) of existing AWs. In that case, your investment value is zero.
MJY65
 
Posts: 990 [View]
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:35 am

Re: Pick one "while you still can" gun

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:40 pm

MJY65 wrote:
Rip Van Winkle wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:10 of the PSA cheap m4 clones and then sell them when the ban talk pushes then to 5xs their price.

This would be the smart money bet. Or, just buy a dozen or so lowers and sell them for $150+ when the panic sets in.



Unless the new ban prohibits transfer(or possession) of existing AWs. In that case, your investment value is zero.

I beg to differ.
User avatar
Holland&Holland
 
Posts: 7730 [View]
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:17 am

Pick one "while you still can" gun

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:56 pm

I bought a scout rifle, but it still has all the "evil" black rifle features... Image

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
"Amateurs train until they get it right... Professionals train until they get it wrong"
User avatar
PHATSPEED7x
 
Posts: 1342 [View]
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:21 pm

Re: Pick one "while you still can" gun

Postby warrlac on Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:55 pm

Not sure I fully understand the rules but I'd probably chose a SCAR 17s if I had to pick just one...
Attachments
SCAR 17s_1.jpg
warrlac
 
Posts: 59 [View]
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:07 pm
Location: Burnsville

Re: Pick one "while you still can" gun

Postby linksep on Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:16 pm

AK47 because I'm already invested in 7.62x39 and I never liked the looks of the AR platform.

I wouldn't be opposed to a M16A2 style replica (though I would probably want it in a thirty-something caliber).
linksep
 
Posts: 520 [View]
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:41 pm

Re: Pick one "while you still can" gun

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:28 pm

linksep wrote:AK47 because I'm already invested in 7.62x39 and I never liked the looks of the AR platform.

I wouldn't be opposed to a M16A2 style replica (though I would probably want it in a thirty-something caliber).

Then it would not be an M16A2 style replica ;)
User avatar
Holland&Holland
 
Posts: 7730 [View]
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:17 am

Pick one "while you still can" gun

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:43 am

AK47-wise, anybody owns a Palmetto State Armory one? Good enough for a plinker?
User avatar
gun_fan111v2
 
Posts: 816 [View]
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:31 pm

Re: Pick one "while you still can" gun

Postby Uffdaphil on Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:41 am

Last chance? I’d go whole hog on a bronze Rifle Dynamics AK 74 as I already have a 47 and too many ARs.
NRA Endowment Member
Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Viet Nam Veteran
High Information Voter
Uffdaphil
 
Posts: 581 [View]
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:37 pm
Location: Bloomington

Next

Return to Long Guns

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron