Rifle destroyed. Shooter safe.

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Re: Rifle destroyed. Shooter safe.

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:17 pm

OldmanFCSA wrote:FINAL ANSWER.

The cartridge chambered in the 25-06 rifle was a 7mm-08 , Don't know why the shooter didn't notice the difficulty of chambering this cartridge.

I may make a 7MM-08 dummy with no primer or powder to try to chamber in my Ruger 25-06.

Will let everyone know what I find out.

There's quite a bit of difference in length between a 7mm-08 and 26-06. I would guess there would be no problem chambering the shorter one in the longer one's chamber. Trying to squeeze a 26 cal bullet down a 25 cal bore would account for the overpressure.

I guess my non-factory ammo guess was right after all.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby smurfman on Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:33 pm

I wouldn't doubt one can fit a 7mm/08 cartridge into a 25/06 chamber. Saw a guy fire a 7x57 (which is longer than a 7mm/08) in a 270 once and he would have pulled the trigger again if I wouldn't have stopped him after seeing gas escape from the action. The case looked a little strange too as there was barely enough neck to be recognizable.

This is something I keep in the back of my head when I go to the range. I might have a half dozen guns with me all chambered for something different. I've gotten into the habit of using a separate container for each cartridge and put any unused cartridges in the container before pulling out the next gun to lessen the odds of what happened above. It isn't foolproof but it has worked for me so far.
smurfman

Postby yukonjasper on Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:41 am

smurfman wrote:I wouldn't doubt one can fit a 7mm/08 cartridge into a 25/06 chamber. Saw a guy fire a 7x57 (which is longer than a 7mm/08) in a 270 once and he would have pulled the trigger again if I wouldn't have stopped him after seeing gas escape from the action. The case looked a little strange too as there was barely enough neck to be recognizable.

This is something I keep in the back of my head when I go to the range. I might have a half dozen guns with me all chambered for something different. I've gotten into the habit of using a separate container for each cartridge and put any unused cartridges in the container before pulling out the next gun to lessen the odds of what happened above. It isn't foolproof but it has worked for me so far.

Good idea. Smart.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby hard h2o on Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:01 pm

How could you mistake a short cartridge 7mm-08 for a long cartridge 7mm-08?

Maybe single loading and had one sitting on the bench. If you are loading multiple into a magazine I would think you would notice.
hard h2o

Postby hard h2o on Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:05 pm

smurfman wrote:I wouldn't doubt one can fit a 7mm/08 cartridge into a 25/06 chamber. Saw a guy fire a 7x57 (which is longer than a 7mm/08) in a 270 once and he would have pulled the trigger again if I wouldn't have stopped him after seeing gas escape from the action. The case looked a little strange too as there was barely enough neck to be recognizable.

Yep. One type of cartridge on the bench at a time. There have been many instances of AR shooters having pre-loaded magazines and mixing them up. When the same magazine fits multiple chamberings bad things can happen.

I also keep one type of powder on the loading bench at a time. I was reading a post recently about someone who leaves the powder hopper filled between loading sessions. Fine if you only reload for one cartridge or if you use only one powder for multiple cartridges. All fine until it is not.
hard h2o

Postby crbutler on Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:27 pm

Usually kabooms are some variant of shooter error.

Shows that the Ruger is a damn strong action. 7 -08 is a relatively high pressure round, and swaging a .284 bullet through a .257 tube is really going to spike pressures. Top that with a bunch of unsupported case, and not surprising.
crbutler

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:55 pm

I can confirm that a 7mm-08 fits easily within a .25-06 chamber with no resistance.
Holland&Holland

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:58 pm

Must have been a controlled round feed action though. Otherwise the firing pin would have a hard time reaching the primer.
Holland&Holland

Postby BuckKlier on Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:38 pm

hard h2o wrote:

Yep. One type of cartridge on the bench at a time. There have been many instances of AR shooters having pre-loaded magazines and mixing them up. When the same magazine fits multiple chamberings bad things can happen.

I also keep one type of powder on the loading bench at a time. I was reading a post recently about someone who leaves the powder hopper filled between loading sessions. Fine if you only reload for one cartridge or if you use only one powder for multiple cartridges. All fine until it is not.

I went to the range a couple of years ago to shoot my 300 black out, and brought the wrong rifle (5.56mm) Both guns looked the same until I pulled the trigger! and things came apart!
BuckKlier

Postby smurfman on Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:27 pm

I should clarify that by container I did not mean a separate container as in an MTM type ammo box but a bag or 30 or 50 cal ammo box for each cartridge I'm bringing to the range. It can make for several trips to and from the vehicle and the bench but it helps to keep rounds apart.
smurfman

Previous

Return to Long Guns