Rifle blueing source

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Rifle blueing source

Postby tabberski on Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:08 am

Hey everyone,

I've got a nice old Marlin 39A rimfire that I would like to doll up a bit. Wondering who you would suggest for getting a lever action rifle re-blued. I've already checked out Alhmans. I'm north east of the cities a bit
tabberski

Re: Rifle blueing source

Postby crbutler on Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:09 pm

If expense is no object, I’ve had some spectacular refinishing done by Jim Kobe, I know he does the prep, but he might well send it out for the actual bluing.

I don’t know if he does more plain Jane refinishing. He redid my .416 Rigby Dakota rifle after I nicked it up pretty badly.

Of course, now it is pretty worn again, lol.
crbutler

Postby hirdlej on Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:52 pm

crbutler wrote:If expense is no object, I’ve had some spectacular refinishing done by Jim Kobe, I know he does the prep, but he might well send it out for the actual bluing.

I don’t know if he does more plain Jane refinishing. He redid my .416 Rigby Dakota rifle after I nicked it up pretty badly.

I just called Mr. Kobe after seeing this post and he said he's not doing jobs like this any longer. Just "custom" gun work, whatever that means. I was disappointed to hear that myself. Like the original poster, I too have a Marlin 39 Mountie I would like a full restoration on. I might have to succumb to going to Ahlman's but I don't think they're capable of the "detail" work I would expect.
hirdlej

Postby westhope on Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:56 pm

I've had three guns reblued at Ahlman's and was really satisfied. They will remove slight rust and scratches. They want the complete gun not parts. They will refinish the stock too.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby tabberski on Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:44 pm

So far it's looking like Ahlman's. Wish there was someone local in the TC.
tabberski

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:59 pm

hirdlej wrote:
crbutler wrote:If expense is no object, I’ve had some spectacular refinishing done by Jim Kobe, I know he does the prep, but he might well send it out for the actual bluing.

I just called Mr. Kobe after seeing this post and he said he's not doing jobs like this any longer. Just "custom" gun work, whatever that means. I was disappointed to hear that myself. Like the original poster, I too have a Marlin 39 Mountie I would like a full restoration on. I might have to succumb to going to Ahlman's but I don't think they're capable of the "detail" work I would expect.

If you want “detail” work send it into Turnbull restorations. If you don’t like their price go to ahlmans
Last edited by Holland&Holland on Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Holland&Holland

Postby tabberski on Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:44 pm

I'm not a Cadillac guy, guess Alhmans it is. Thanks everyone.
tabberski

Postby BuckKlier on Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:50 pm

there used to be a shop "Ken's polishing" that did a blue black job, I saw a few they did and they looked great! I don't know if the are around any more.
BuckKlier

Postby Rum River on Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:59 am

You could check into Laib's Gunsmithing out west of the cities in Spicer. 320-796-2686
He's been in business for years and has a good reputation.
I had a Browning Citori blued there and they did an excellent job.
Other gunsmiths will even do their own polishing work and send guns to Laib's for blueing so they can offer that service at their own business without having to maintain blueing tanks.
"Well hell boys. I'd damn sight rather be hung by my friends than by a bunch'a damn strangers."
Jake Spoon - Lonesome Dove
Rum River

Return to Long Guns