Looking to pick up a M1 Carbine

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Postby saizou on Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:19 pm

Looking for a last minute buy on a M1 carbine new in box before the holidays.

First question: does the M1 carbine fall into the "MN assault rifle" category? I haven't renewed my permit to purchase.

Second: any sightings of one locally? Willing to drive 3 hours to for one.
saizou

Re: Looking to pick up a M1 Carbine

Postby grimbeaver on Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:17 pm

Pre-pandemic I dabbled with the idea of getting an Inland Manufacturing one and availability was not good. Direct from Inland they are all out of stock right now. I think the only other manufacturer currently is Auto Ordinance. Davidsons shows them as out of stock. Kind of a niche gun that I suspect many stores would not bring in as a stocking item.

I do not see why it would fall into the "MN assault rifle" category. Should just be like any other long gun sale.
grimbeaver

Postby saizou on Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:26 pm

Figured as much. Looks like the only things left on gunbroker are Auto Ordnance.
saizou

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:28 pm

I have not been to their store for a couple of years, but I would give Gunstop in Minnetonka a call to see if they have one. They have that rack behind the counter where only the young people can see what is available, so maybe one has been sitting there for a while :)
gun_fan111v2

Postby Drizzle on Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:16 pm

Drizzle

Postby smurfman on Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:19 pm

I don't recall seeing an M-1 Carbine at Gunstop when I was there a couple weeks ago but I wasn't looking hard for one either. I normally spot them pretty quickly but nothing caught my eye then. You might try Wolf's Den in Hugo, I've seen a couple there pretty regularly though they were used, not new. The one chambered in 22 Spitfire is probably still around but finding components and dies would be difficult.

Ammo is likely to be a problem and probably for a long time as there isn't a huge demand for it. I just did the rounds of the Cities last weekend checking out what was available on shelves. One of my check list items was 30 Carbine ammo and brass. I was able to find 3 boxes of soft points for under $25/50 but passed on the $30/50 boxes at Gander. I was able to pick up 2 bags of brass along the way too.

I'm confining my carbine to the range at this point as I can collect my brass for later use. I have a bit of steel cased ammo but the extractor tends to slide over the rim leaving the case in the chamber.
smurfman

Postby grimbeaver on Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:13 am

smurfman wrote:The one chambered in 22 Spitfire is probably still around but finding components and dies would be difficult.

Midway has listings for Redding dies but they are out of stock no back order. Redding still has them listed as a custom order so they will make them. Based on the prices Midway has listed you would be looking at $300+ to buy the reloading and forming dies. Expensive but if the rifle is in the right condition and the price is right, though that is probably not the case.
grimbeaver

Postby Bitter Bastard on Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:25 am

Woodbury Cabelas had an M1 on the wall on Saturday. I couldn't see the tag to get details, but it was there.

good luck!

Bitter Bastard
Bitter Bastard

Return to Long Guns