Good over / unders

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Re: Good over / unders

Postby westhope on Fri May 21, 2021 8:11 am

Some times you need a solid 2x4.

Have you seen the price of 2 x 4's lately?
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby crbutler on Fri May 21, 2021 10:10 am

The Berettas are very nice guns.

They come with a set of choke tubes. If it’s a competition gun, they are probably extended models, that’s what came with the one I brought, although they were blued.

Most beretta guns come with gold plated triggers- and its real gold- you see wear on it relatively quickly.

As to shotgun reloading for 12 ga. If the goal is to save money, then it’s not really worthwhile at this point in time. Reloading shot is very pricey, and the costs to ship it (to the store or to you) at less than train car loads impacts pricing. If you are a club member of a range that reclaims shot, it can be cheaper to save you money, but then the shot quality is inconsistent.

Reloading will allow tailoring loads to your desires and in combination can insure you can keep shooting in times of scarcity, as this is the first time I recall both components and loaded ammo being scarce at the same time. If you enjoy reloading as a hobby, go for it, but realize it’s not to save money.

Frankly, if informal target or hunting loading is your goal, the single stage press is adequate- it’s only if you want to load case lots at a time that the progressives are needed. Honestly, I haven’t used my hydraulic progressive 12 ga loaded in a few years.

Enjoy the new toy!
crbutler

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri May 21, 2021 12:14 pm

Grayskies wrote:I ordered a

https://www.beretta.com/en/686-silver-p ... -sporting/

I think she'll be a good gun, thank you all for helping! :D

I might add some extended choke tubes but that would be mostly because I think they look cool, gold might go with the trigger. :D

Next I'll need to find a club or league to play in and a buch of ammo. My brother wants me to reload.

Nice! You did not get that for $1500!
Holland&Holland

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri May 21, 2021 12:15 pm

westhope wrote:
Some times you need a solid 2x4.

Have you seen the price of 2 x 4's lately?

I have been trading them for over unders plus cash.
Holland&Holland

Postby Grayskies on Fri May 21, 2021 2:50 pm

grimbeaver wrote:Nice buy. It will serve you well for many many years. I reload shotgun loads. To be honest for 12ga it's not worth it. And you won't find components any easier than ammo right now. Anything you shoot a lot you will want a progressive press. A MEC 9000GN is $775 (msrp) and that's probably the cheapest I would consider (if buying new). I have single stage presses for 20ga and 28ga. The progressive I can do 400+/hr on. The single stage is more like 120/hr. And more importantly even expensive machines have quirks that you will curse and will slow you down.

My brother has a bunch of Mec Jrs in 12g he bought at auctions and he'll let use one. I will look into it :)
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby Grayskies on Fri May 21, 2021 3:07 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
Grayskies wrote:I ordered a

https://www.beretta.com/en/686-silver-p ... -sporting/

I think she'll be a good gun, thank you all for helping! :D

I might add some extended choke tubes but that would be mostly because I think they look cool, gold might go with the trigger. :D

Next I'll need to find a club or league to play in and a buch of ammo. My brother wants me to reload.

Nice! You did not get that for $1500!

No and I might be enjoying hotdogs for the next few years provided I have the 2x4s to trade for them.

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby Grayskies on Fri May 21, 2021 3:10 pm

crbutler wrote:The Berettas are very nice guns.

They come with a set of choke tubes. If it’s a competition gun, they are probably extended models, that’s what came with the one I brought, although they were blued.

Most beretta guns come with gold plated triggers- and its real gold- you see wear on it relatively quickly.

As to shotgun reloading for 12 ga. If the goal is to save money, then it’s not really worthwhile at this point in time. Reloading shot is very pricey, and the costs to ship it (to the store or to you) at less than train car loads impacts pricing. If you are a club member of a range that reclaims shot, it can be cheaper to save you money, but then the shot quality is inconsistent.

Reloading will allow tailoring loads to your desires and in combination can insure you can keep shooting in times of scarcity, as this is the first time I recall both components and loaded ammo being scarce at the same time. If you enjoy reloading as a hobby, go for it, but realize it’s not to save money.

Frankly, if informal target or hunting loading is your goal, the single stage press is adequate- it’s only if you want to load case lots at a time that the progressives are needed. Honestly, I haven’t used my hydraulic progressive 12 ga loaded in a few years.

Enjoy the new toy!

Thank you :)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Previous

Return to Long Guns