6MM ARC

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

6MM ARC

Postby Bearcatrp on Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:42 pm

Has anyone looked at this cartridge? Am starting to research it. For a AR15 platform, seems like a good long distance round from what I have read so far. Still to early to tell. Just read a few different articles on it so far. Not allot of manufacturers on it so far. Seems like a good 1000 yard cartridge with the right barrel length and setup.
Bearcatrp

Re: 6MM ARC

Postby Erud on Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:04 am

I’ve shot 10 or 11k rounds of 6mmAR Turbo 40° Improved, which is essentially the 6mm ARC before there was a 6mm ARC. It’s a nice little round for the AR platform, and does offer a fair amount of performance over a .223. The stubby little case allows long 6mm bullets to be loaded mag length, which is great. I shot a ton of it at 600 in NRA Highpower and Prone matches, and a little at 1000. It’ll make it to 1000, but I definitely would not call it a “1000-yard cartridge”. The case is tiny, and you’re limited to around 29 grains of Varget with a 105-sized bullet. I loaded them at 30 grains when I first started with it, but was trashing expensive brass after 1 firing and wasn’t really gaining any performance. 28.5 with a Berger 105 Hybrid resulted in around 2800 FPS from a 26" barrel in MN conditions. Compare that to something like a .243 Win with 45+ grains of powder, and you pick up another 400 FPS or more. If you wanted to be competitive at 1k it is not a good choice, but if you just want something in an AR platform to occasionally stretch to 1k with, it’s a nice round.
Last edited by Erud on Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Erud

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:24 am

The Grendel improved
Holland&Holland

Postby Bearcatrp on Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:55 am

Had a grendel in a AR and sold it. Constant issues jamming. All my AR’s are for shorter ranges so would mind one to go out far if needed. Nice to have it on tap. Watched a few videos on it. Looks like hardly any recoil. Will have to do some more research. Did a quick search for brass and bullets but didn’t find any that didn’t cost a kidney. Thanks for the reply.
Bearcatrp

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:24 am

Bearcatrp wrote:Had a grendel in a AR and sold it. Constant issues jamming. All my AR’s are for shorter ranges so would mind one to go out far if needed. Nice to have it on tap. Watched a few videos on it. Looks like hardly any recoil. Will have to do some more research. Did a quick search for brass and bullets but didn’t find any that didn’t cost a kidney. Thanks for the reply.

You do realize it is basically a necked down Grendel right?
Holland&Holland

Postby Bearcatrp on Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:35 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
Bearcatrp wrote:Had a grendel in a AR and sold it. Constant issues jamming. All my AR’s are for shorter ranges so would mind one to go out far if needed. Nice to have it on tap. Watched a few videos on it. Looks like hardly any recoil. Will have to do some more research. Did a quick search for brass and bullets but didn’t find any that didn’t cost a kidney. Thanks for the reply.

You do realize it is basically a necked down Grendel right?

Yep. I know.
Bearcatrp

Postby Erud on Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:22 pm

Yeah, brass isn't going to be cheap. Lapua (Alex-A head stamp) 6.5 Grendel is great stuff, but expensive and I don't even know if it's still being made. Hornady 6.5 Grendel brass was absolute garbage when I was shooting the Turbo. I've really never found and of Hornady's brass to be any good, so I wouldn't bother with their 6 ARC brass either. Starline's offering is probably somewhere in between the two, but in general it is much softer than Lapua.

Have you considered the 6mm Fat Rat?

https://accurateandreliablerifle.com/sh ... t-rat-pack
Erud

Postby Bearcatrp on Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:47 pm

Won't even consider it unless I get components first. Brass and bullets is all I need for now.
Bearcatrp

Postby OldmanFCSA on Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:29 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:Won't even consider it unless I get components first. Brass and bullets is all I need for now.

My (Your) RPR 338LM may be available as I'm losing interest in shooting it.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Bearcatrp on Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:04 pm

OldmanFCSA wrote:
Bearcatrp wrote:Won't even consider it unless I get components first. Brass and bullets is all I need for now.

You would do this to me. Let me know what your thinking. There is no doubt it’s the sweetest rifle I have ever owned. Make me an offer I can’t refuse and will stop research 6MM.
Bearcatrp

Postby OldmanFCSA on Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:20 am

Bearcatrp wrote:
OldmanFCSA wrote:

You would do this to me. Let me know what your thinking. There is no doubt it’s the sweetest rifle I have ever owned. Make me an offer I can’t refuse and will stop research 6MM.

Listed for sale in Marketplace with ALL associated supplies and options listed.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Bearcatrp on Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:16 pm

Temping but better not with my back issues. Will stick with researching the 6mm for now.
Bearcatrp

Postby Bearcatrp on Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:12 am

The fat rat looks interesting. May just go bolt action 1st to test the waters. Am checking out other 6mm and comparing them. Just about every story I have read so far points to the ARC while comparing the other 6mm’s out there. Still won’t do anything until I can get brass and bullets.
Bearcatrp

Postby Erud on Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:59 pm

It makes no sense as a bolt gun cartridge, the whole appeal is that it fits in standard-sized AR mags. If you want a mid range bolt cartridge, a straight BR or one of the many variants are the way to go. The 6mm AR (and Turbo, Turbo 40°, etc), Fat Rat, 240 LBC, 6mm ARC, and other 6mm’s based on the Grendel case are all basically the same cartridge. You aren’t likely to see enough performance difference between any of them to make one better than another.
Erud

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:38 pm

If you want a bolt gun get a .243.
Holland&Holland

Next

Return to Long Guns